PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Crib Sheet or Mattress Pad?

mylikuliku
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I am wondering whether I should get the UCS or mattress pad for my crib?

I will be using the Colgate Classica I (nylon) mattress with Baby Cache Heritage crib as well as crib sheet from BabyGap.

Please advice.

twowhat?
09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Lots of people love the UCS...I thought I would too so I registered for 4 (for my twins). I hate them! They are thick, the fold wrinkles never come out, and they are a PAIN to wash...you MUST dry them on low OR the waterproof backing melts away in little holes!! I didn't have time to dry these on low, separatelty from the rest of alllll the baby laundry! Even with drying them on low, I find the quality pretty poor...with only a few washes there are lots of little tears and holes in the waterproof backing. Plus I didn't like that they are polyester on top.

I prefer to layer these underneath 100% cotton crib sheets.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497272

I'll probably go for a real waterproof mattress pad once my girls are old enough to create real watery accidents:) The flannel pads work great for spit-up, leaky diapers, bloody noses, etc...nothing has ever soaked through them so far and I like that they are 100% cotton.

sansdieu
09-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I hated the UCS so much I was ready to write to the book authors, but never found the time to do it. I only washed mine on cold (in my super-gentle front loader), only line-dried it, and it was still misshapen and impossible to install after just a few uses. The top part gets all wrinkly and sort of out of sync with the bottom. The tears appeared in the backing after 1 wash. What's most dangerous is that the snaps that are supposed to attach securely to the mattress actually snap open every time the baby makes a move (the "bungee cords" seem clearly too short on our standard size mattress and crib). And I had the "new" version, with the extra 2 safety snaps. I called the company and they promised extensions, but never sent me anything (that was about 18 months ago). Not to mention that the top is mostly polyester (40% cotton). Disgusting! don't waste your money (you can have mine if you're in MA).

mylikuliku
09-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow! I don't expect UCS is so bad!! I almost wanted to buy already. I quickly browse through BRU section and found that the following product (Especially For Baby 2-Pack Cotton Flannel Multi Pads) has pretty high reviews:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2838923

Anyone used that before??

AshleyAnn
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I've heard that babies who crawl and roll around tend to pull thier UCS off the bed.

My crib is dressed with a waterproof pad like the one PP mentioned on the mattress, a crib sheet, then a waterproof mattress pad then a final cribsheet on top. When DD messes the crib I can just pull off the top two layers and have a fresh crib sheet ready to go. Its a bit tight but I think my mattress is a little bit bigger than some.

arivecchi
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Sealy mattress pad

lchang25000
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
I use a mattress pad below the fitted sheet. The UCS seems to be too much of a pain to use.

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I can't believe all the neg. feedback about the UCS. We love them and have been using them nonstop for 3.5 years. LOVE them. We do have a sealy pad underneath for comfort also.

twowhat?
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I can't believe all the neg. feedback about the UCS. We love them and have been using them nonstop for 3.5 years. LOVE them. We do have a sealy pad underneath for comfort also.

Maybe the quality of newer UCSs has declined?

mylikuliku
09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
The Sealy Mattress Pad is it the one sold in BRU (known as Sealy Crib Pad)?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3206686

arivecchi
09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
The Sealy Mattress Pad is it the one sold in BRU (known as Sealy Crib Pad)?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3206686

Yes. Love it.

mylikuliku
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes. Love it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

arivecchi
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! No prob. Keeps the mattress dry and makes our Classica I mattresses more comfy. ;)

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
wow, had no idea the Ultimate Crib Sheet was so bad. i was considering getting it but after reading this thread i think i'll reconsider. it seems like too much to deal with. i agree, placing a flannel pad underneath a regular crib sheet seems like it should do the trick.

cindys
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I am surprised as well to hear all the negativity on the USC..

We have loved ours and never had an issue...

Now we did get ours in 2006 but they held up so well that they are now being used with our 11mos old.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 11mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

GraceH
09-16-2009, 07:33 PM
My crib is dressed with a waterproof pad like the one PP mentioned on the mattress, a crib sheet, then a waterproof mattress pad then a final cribsheet on top. When DD messes the crib I can just pull off the top two layers and have a fresh crib sheet ready to go.

:yeahthat:
I have had two waterproof pads in circulation for 2 years like these: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2668978 (never had melting issues like the reviews say - I have 1 Carters and 1 Esp. for Baby - with no problems after heavy use since '07)

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe the quality of newer UCSs has declined?
Hmm...maybe that is the case! We must have 5 of them now - some new, some used, so all probably purchased around 2006

ETA: We have 5 or so b/c we have two cribs going plus an one under the fitted sheet on DD's bed for the times she pulls her diaper off overnight.

betsyab
09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I got the UCS thinking I'd love it. However, as a petite woman I found it incredibly frustrating that I can't reach to connect it around the back rails of the crib. I also am trying to decrease the amount of chemicals in the nursery, and the smell from the vinyl in the UCS is overwhelming. Will keep it around for emergencies only.

I use the layering technique:

mattress
mattress cover
sheet
crib pad
sheet

I remove just the top layers when soiled, and have a clean sheet waiting underneath.

amcgowan2007
09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
wow, the book made it sound like the ultimate crib sheet was a Must-have!

I also read on another board that the UCS does not attach well if you have purchased a sleigh style crib since the posts tend to be a bit larger. I did just purchase a sleigh crib so with these reviews, plus that fact, I'll be staying away from the UCS.

thanks everyone!

swrc00
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I too thought I had to have the UCS. I used them when DS first came home and eventually is was too annoying when changing the sheet that I stopped using them. They never seemed to look nice in the crib. I haven't had a problem with DS leaking during the night so I really haven't had to change the sheets in the middle of the night. This is where I anticipated the UCS being a lifesaver. I have kept them because they might be useful if DS has a stomach bug or something. I only use a crib sheet on DS's mattress.