PDA

View Full Version : Can more than one tether be latched onto the same tether anchor?

gatorsmom
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
The third row of our car (Chrysler T&C 2005) only has one tether anchor behind its seat. I just took all our seats out to clean the car and now can't remember if I had both MA anchored back there.

Also, if they CAN both be attached to the same anchor, can the tether straps be at an angle? The 2 MA will both be sitting next to each other, one is attached with LATCH and the other with the shoulder belt. But their tether straps would be going over the seat and meeting at the same anchor so they'd be at an angle. Wasn't sure if that affected the seat's safety and effectiveness.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
09-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Nope, absolutely only one hook per anchor is acceptable. Chrysler just skimped (so much for a 'family vehicle' huh? sigh) and put one back there, it's for the seating position that it's most directly behind, and you'd put the heavier child in that spot if possible.

o_mom
09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately no, you can't attach two to the same anchor. I would tether the one installed with LATCH. Make sure to use the shoulderbelt lockoff on the one installed with the seatbelt and I would put the smaller child in that one as well.

bubbaray
09-15-2009, 05:02 PM
IIRC, some domestic full-sized trucks allow tether sharing. I recall something about that, I believe with an older Dodge?

But, yeah, generally, no sharing of TTs -- if it is allowed, its specifically stated in the (truck) manual.

If it makes you feel better, my '05 Ody has 1 TT in the 3rd row too. I won't ever need it, so I don't care. If I had 4 kiddos, I'd be unhappy though, especially as TTs are mandatory here. If I had to choose, I'd use a RN without a TT.

ETA: this isn't the exact thread, but it talks about sharing of TTs in trucks. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=96715&highlight=truck

gatorsmom
09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. This really bites. I have 4 MA. The twins who are rearfacing, are inthe middle row captains chairs for ease of loading. Gator weighs 48lbs so I HAVE to put him in the shoulderbelt seat. Cha Cha can still be LATCHED because he's 36lbs. However, the Tether anchor in the third row is directly behind the LATCH. I really wanted the tether anchor behind Gator's seat because his install isn't quite as solid. Cha Cha's install with the LATCH is rocksolid. That sucks.

On the bright side, the RF install of the twins' new Marathons is PERFECT. Found a perfect place to put the D-ring so they are nicely tethered and have a solid LATCH install.

Just wanted to say, by the way, I DO NOT KNOW HOW YOU GUYS CAN DEAL WITH CARSEAT STUFF AS MUCH AS YOU DO. I spent 3 hot hours cleaning out my car yesterday and another 3 hot hours installing carseats today. I've been putting it off for months (the twins still fit in their SafeSeats but just barely). I just do not want to think about this now for another year when it's time to clean the car again. Hats off to you! :bowdown:

AnnieW625
09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I totally agree with you about that biting, and I still don't see why you can't use LATCH in the middle of cars when it doesn't say you can't do it in the manual and the straps attach perfectly to it. Yes, I am still trying to drag myself out of that hole for doing it for the first year of DD's life before we switched to ffing using the belt.

o_mom
09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Can you install the LATCH one with the seatbelt instead so that Gator can sit there (tethered)?

gatorsmom
09-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Can you install the LATCH one with the seatbelt so that Gator can sit there (tethered)?

I guess I wasn't very clear. The third row bench seat provides for LATCHING only one carseat. It's nearly in the middle of the bench. That is the only spot in the back row you can LATCH. However, it's also behind this spot that they put the tether anchor. Apparently, Chrysler's idea of a family was with 3 children not 4. Because there are LATCH and Tether anchors in the middle row captain's seats and in the middle of the third row bench and that's it. I can get fantastically tight installs with the LATCH so, since the twins and Cha Cha are still under the limit I like to do that in the 3 spots available. But that means Gator or really any 4th seat has to be belted and there is not another tether anchor. So, if I put Gator's seat in the tether anchor spot without LATCHING him, I'd still have to put Cha Cha in the shoulder belted spot without the LATCH or the tether either.

Did I make any sense there? I'm tired from spending my afternoon in the heat putting in those seats. Still don't know how you guys can do that all the time. I need a cocktail.

bubbaray
09-15-2009, 08:12 PM
OK, well, I should duck right now, b/c you're not gonna like my answer.

*I* would remove one of the 2nd row captains chairs. I would install 1 FFg seat on the remaining captains chairs, make sure it is TTd.

I would put both twins in the 3rd row, RFg outboard. I would put the other FFg seat 3rd row center, TTd (LATCH or belts, d/n matter -- whatever gives the best install).

That is the technical answer. Whether it will work for you on a daily basis is another thing.

You could also try the 2 FFg seats 2nd row in chairs, fold down the 60/40 3rd row and see if you can install the twins RFg seats side-by-side on the 60 part of the 3rd row. I am unable to do that in my Ody, but maybe that works in your vehicle? However, I can't imagine loading kids through the back of a van on a daily basis. I'm flexible, but not THAT flexible, KWIM?

o_mom
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I gotcha! I was thinking that you could use seatbelt + tether in the center and seatbelt only in the outboard seat. That way you could tether Gator's seat since he is heavier. So, the problem is that you are not happy with the seatbelt installs in the third row?

You should be able to get a good install, even without using LATCH as that is a pretty compatible seat and vehicle combo. Some random troubleshooting thoughts:

Does that third row bench have a recline? That can help with getting a tighter seatbelt install (recline vehicle seat, install, then unrecline seat).

Make sure you are routing the seatbelt correctly (over the LATCH bars for lap-shoulder belt, under the bar for lap-only belt).

Do the seatbelts lock at the retractor where you pull it all the way out to switch it and then feed it back in? If so, you can try getting it tight, then unbuckle, feed the webbing back in a click or two and rebuckle.

Or, is it the kind where it locks at the buckle? In that case, you can try flipping the latchplate. Buckle, pull tight, then unbuckle and rotate the latchplate 180 degrees and rebuckle. Here is a link with a picture of what that looks like: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=461094&postcount=10

Also - know that a seat without a top tether is going to feel a tinhy bit looser at the top than one with, but you only check for tightness at the beltpath. It the seat is not tight at the beltpath before you put the tether on, that needs to be fixed. Making sure the shoulderbelt lockoff is completely closed can help that as it acts a bit like a top tether.

Hope some of this helps!

gatorsmom
09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
It all helps- thank you so much. I worked on it some more and Gator's seat, which is only shoulderbelted, does wiggle some but it's not even half an inch. I know that's not bad but compared to the LATCH installed seats, it's just not as solid. And i had forgotten to close the shoulderbelt lockoff and that helped too. So, I think it's well installed. I feel satisfied that it is.

Thanks again!

gatorsmom
09-15-2009, 10:21 PM
OK, well, I should duck right now, b/c you're not gonna like my answer.

*I* would remove one of the 2nd row captains chairs. I would install 1 FFg seat on the remaining captains chairs, make sure it is TTd.

I would put both twins in the 3rd row, RFg outboard. I would put the other FFg seat 3rd row center, TTd (LATCH or belts, d/n matter -- whatever gives the best install).

That is the technical answer. Whether it will work for you on a daily basis is another thing.

You could also try the 2 FFg seats 2nd row in chairs, fold down the 60/40 3rd row and see if you can install the twins RFg seats side-by-side on the 60 part of the 3rd row. I am unable to do that in my Ody, but maybe that works in your vehicle? However, I can't imagine loading kids through the back of a van on a daily basis. I'm flexible, but not THAT flexible, KWIM?

I LOVE these ideas! Unfortunately, they won't work. I tried them 2 years ago when I was still pregnant with the twins.

I can't fit 3 seats across in the back row. I would love, love love to be able to stow a middle captain's chair. I've tried putting Radians back there along with Snugrides in various configurations and three will just not fit. I would have loved that because that summer when it was just the 2 boys I had one in the middle chair and one in the back seat and stowed a captain's chair and it was so wonderfully roomy. too bad.

As for loading the twins over the rear seat into their RFg MA, I tried that too. When I was pregnant with the twins I tried loading Cha Cha who was 2yo at the time over that seat. He was less than thrilled and I just can't imagine doing that every time. With 2 of them.

But thank you for thinking that through. I don't come to the carseat forum that often but I always know that when i do, I'll get great advice. You guys rock!!!:jammin:

Joolsplus2
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Does Gator still fit, heightwise, in his MA? Bitsy's shoulders were at, almost over, the top slots when she was 6 and about 43 pounds. Is a booster totally out of the question? The Parkway SG is narrow and easyish to buckle and might work, as long as you think he can sit still in a booster (which most kids can about that age, but some can't, just depends on maturity level...)

:)

gatorsmom
09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Does Gator still fit, heightwise, in his MA?

Yep, he's not even up to the top slots yet. I have small babies and children. :love5:

His MA expires in one year and since he still fits, I'm going to let him use it. Then I'll probably be here again asking what we should use next. Cha Cha's MA expires at the same time and he's only 36lbs so we'll be looking for something for him for sure.