PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to ignore the height limit for Rfing in Sceneras?

arivecchi
09-15-2009, 09:06 PM
36 inches? DS1 fits just fine RFing. Has tons of room and is not even on top slot. He is 40 inches but mostly legs. Also, should the seat be able to move a bit when installed Rfing?

o_mom
09-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Assuming you mean height limit here?

Weight limits are set in stone - must be followed. Height limits - well... technically it is misuse to not follow them. However, they are the manufacturer's best guess at what size child will fit in the seat and they don't account for different proportions. Also, the one inch from the top rule is also pretty firm.

An untethered rear-facing seat will move at the top (ETA: the Scenera can't be tethered, but if you are comparing it to a tethered seat it will feel wiggly there and that is OK). It shouldn't move more than an inch at the beltpath, though.

jjordan
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Assuming you mean height limit here?

Weight limits are set in stone - must be followed. Height limits - well... technically it is misuse to not follow them. However, they are the manufacturer's best guess at what size child will fit in the seat and they don't account for different proportions. Also, the one inch from the top rule is also pretty firm.

An untethered rear-facing seat will move at the top. It shouldn't move more than an inch at the beltpath, though.

Just to clarify on the bolded, the scenera cannot be tethered rearfacing (although there are other seats that can be). (I know o_mom knows this but probably not everyone reading this thread knows.)

AnnieW625
09-16-2009, 12:41 AM
No familiar with the seat, but will he rear face in BLVD okay? If so what about putting DS2 in the Scenera full time and DS1 in the BLVD?

o_mom
09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Just to clarify on the bolded, the scenera cannot be tethered rearfacing (although there are other seats that can be). (I know o_mom knows this but probably not everyone reading this thread knows.)

Thanks! I should have been more clear, I was thinking she was comparing it to a tethered seat. :thumbsup:

arivecchi
09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Sorry. I meant height limits - not weight. I saw that the Scenera cannot be tethered RF. It's just not as rock solid as the Blvd when installed RF.

codex57
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry. I meant height limits - not weight. I saw that the Scenera cannot be tethered RF. It's just not as rock solid as the Blvd when installed RF.

And that's why people love Britax. Easier to get a good install.

And yeah, the height limits are more "educated guesses" than anything else. For height, just go by the 1 inch from the top of the shell rule.

arivecchi
09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Codex.

Katigre
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I found it takes some pool noodles to get a tight RF install with a Scenara.

codex57
09-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I said some choice words when I was trying to install the Scenera RF in the rental parking lot. Didn't have a pool noodle and desparately needed it. Had to get creative with clothing from out luggage. Luckily, I upgraded to the minivan so I had more space to work with.

Still, glad I brought the Scenera rather than the Blvd on that trip. No need to feel bad if you can't seem to get a perfect install on that thing. It's a toughie.