PDA

View Full Version : Carpool Dilemma...could really use some BTDT input

lmwbasye
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I feel partly like I'm getting anxious/over-reacting about nothing so want some input. Liam will be 5 next month and is harnessed in a Frontier in my car and Radian in DH's car. We plan to keep him harnessed as long as possible and with the seats we have should be able to do so for another year or two.

Enter...pre-kindergarten. There are 4 kids in our neighborhood in L's class and right now the other 3 parents are carpooling. All kiddos are in boosters and L would have to be in one were he to join the carpool.

One mom said she'll start picking up L tomorrow if I want and will call later to confirm. I'm thinking I'm going to say no. Liam has never been in a booster and is a really nervous child...especially when it comes to cars/carseats. He has some sensory issues. I also am not thrilled with the idea of him in a booster even though the ride is just 5 minutes.

That being said, it would be nice to have some help with dropoff/pickup.

I'm just not feeling great about it overall. As it is, the mom looked at me like I was crazy this morning when I said that he wasn't in a booster yet.

WWYD?!

HIU8
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, I also have a DS in pre-K with sensory issues. He is currently in a MA and loves it. He is not ready for a booster in any way shape or form. If I was presented with this scenario and I needed to make use of carpooling, I would do so only if I could provide a harnessed seat for my DS. We have a Safeguard GO for grandpa's car and for these situations. It looks like a booster with a harness and it is super super easy to move from car to car. If the other mom's in the carpool are not willing b/c your DS is not in a booster then I would not do it. It is your DS and your decision about how he is safest in a car-not theirs (and I do feel this way even though the trip is 5 minutes since most accidents happen close to home).

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2009, 10:31 AM
At 5 my ds was fully in a booster. I moved him to a Nautilus (harnessed) at 6. He really did fine in a highbacked booster at 5. It's your personal comfort level but mine would be ok with riding in a hbb for carpool.

Beth

AnnieW625
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Don't have a 5yo in a carpool but our DCP is going to be transporting DD to preschool two days a week so we bought a Safeguard Go for her to use and we've been really happy with it. It's a very easy install as long as it's going in a car that has both LATCH, and a top tether. I can't really see how my daughter will be in two years, but honestly I think she'd be okay in a high back booster with belt by then, but only you know your child. Could you at least try him in the HBB?

GraceH
09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Haven't BTDT, but would it be possible to take out the FR harness (aka HBB mode) and take him on a 2 min drive to get milk (or something close using less busy streets) in your car, just to see how he would react? That might give a better assessment of whether he's ready to start booster training... so, no I wouldn't do a carpool yet, but I may consider starting booster training for short carpool trips next semester or next year.