PDA

View Full Version : Traveling (plane, diff vehicle)- which carseat to take?

catroddick
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
First- let me assure you- I have searched the internet unsuccessfully to answer my questions, so I look to your expertise.

I am flying to MO to visit next month, and taking DD with me. She’ll be 8 months by then. The question is, which carseat to take? I have my choice of her infant bucket- a Graco Safeseat, or one of her Britax seats- a Marathon, a Diplomat, or the Boulevard.

I’ll be taking her “in arms”/ no separate seat purchased (more like “in Bjorn”).

Once we arrive, we will be riding in a 2004 Ford F-150 Super cab (wing doors, not the full crew cab back seat).

The most important question- what fits in the 2004 F-150 Supercab?

The Safeseat:
Pros- Snaps into my umbrella stroller, so I don’t have to lug it separately.
Cons- Not FAA approved, so she could not use it on the plane.
Question- How challenging is the seat belt install? Or would you try packing a base?

The Marathon:
Pros- FAA approved (I believe), so I could use it if a seat is open next to me.
Cons- I’m lugging a huge seat through the airport with me.
Question- will it fit in her truck?

The Diplomat:
Pros- FAA approved (I believe), so I could use it if a seat is open next to me.
Cons- I’m lugging a seat through the airport with me.
Question- will it fit in her truck/ might has a better chance since it’s smaller?

The Boulevard:
As much as I love this seat, I don’t see any reason to take this behemoth.

o_mom
09-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I would take your SafeSeat and pack the base in your luggage.

The SafeSeat is FAA approved and can be used on the plane if there is an available seat. The seatbelt install on the plane is super easy, just take a small blanket to wrap around the seatbelt buckle as it will end up right in front of her and be a fun game to unbuckle at her age. The base install is so easy for any kind of seatbelt, so no worry about the seatbelt install if you have the base. I packed mine when we travelled in a large suitcase with all my clothes around it with no incident. If the luggage gets lost, you will still have your seat to use without the base - it's not a horrible install, but not as super simple.

ETA: We flew with the SafeSeat when DS3 was 9 months and this is exactly what we did.

rosiegirl1
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I've got a similar problem and am looking for responses...we switched our LO into the MA early due to reflux issues. However, I don't want to lug that around the airport (also a lap baby)...so I was planning on bringing her SnugRide without the base, and just using the seatbelt. She's 19lbs so carrying her around in the carrier is not realistic...
The other option is to go out and buy a smaller/lighterweight convertible...it would get put into my husband's car the rest of the time...

Any input?

arivecchi
09-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I just bought a Cosco Scenera for travel purposes. So light and narrow! Comes in a travel bag if you buy it at Target. Awesome travel seat. $50. To the OP, bring the lightest/smallest car seat you have available. I flew ONCE with my Blvd. Never again.....

catroddick
09-16-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah, I'm so freaky in love with my Blvd, I would not want anyone possibly tossing it around the cargo area or misshandling it in anyway. Not healthy to love a carseat so much- but then, it's going to be a part of my life for the next 3-5 years.

I'm excited to hear about how easy it will be to take the Safeseat and base- that takes a huge load off.

My only question now is to confirm that the Safeseat will fit in her backseat. I coulds swear there was a website that would tell me this, but I cant find it anywhere.

o_mom
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I think the best way to find out would be to post at www.car-seat.org (http://www.car-seat.org). You don't have to register to post - just ask if anyone has put that seat in that truck. Also, Graco confirmed at one point that you can have the SafeSeat more upright for an older baby, which may help getting it in.

mom2binsd
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd bring the infant seat right up to the gate, ask the gate agent if there are any available seats that you can put the baby in the infant seat in, they much prefer you to have the child in a carseat and will move others around if there are empty seats.

If there aren't any seats available at least you can gate check the seat and stroller right there, if you have to hold her the entire trip you don't want to have to hold her too much before....

rosiegirl1
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I bought a Scenera yesterday. DH doesn't have a car seat in his car, so if he's home with our LO, and I take my car someplace (I usually try to take his car, but occasionally I forget) he's stuck. It does seem way lighter than my MA, and should be convenient enough for traveling...

AshleyAnn
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
The safeseat is approved for use by the FAA both with and without the base. The Safeseat is the easiest to install IMO and it gives you two install options - with the base and without the base - so you're less likely to run into incompatibility, although I expect it will fit fine. There is a website (http://www.carseatdata.org/) that has been put together by volunteers but it doesn't list every seat and vehicle combination. I checked it and the safeseat 1 isn't listed but several other large seats that fit and recieved 5 stars for 'very easy install' so I think it will.

catroddick
09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
perfect- thanks AshleyAnn!

vonfirmath
09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
If my child fit, I'd take the Safeseat with the snap-in stroller without a hesitation.

Ever since he stopped fitting, I've taken my Britax Marathon (or the Britax Roundabout 50 this last trip, when I was by myself with the baby). I much prefer a seat I know I can install on the other end than a car seat that even carseat techs struggle with (at least rear-facing, which my boy still is). Bonus! Not having to buy a new seat to travel.