PDA

View Full Version : Advice from endocrinologist on losing weight

niccig
09-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I see an endocrinologist for hypothroyidism. In the 18 months since my thyroid surgery, I've gained 10 lbs, lost it then gained and am losing it again. He told me that I have to keep my weight stable, as it does affect amount of thyroid medication. He told me to follow the same eating plan as his diabetic patients.

1. Eat meals at the same time every day - he said your body is best when on a schedule. If eat meals at different times through out the day, your body goes through periods of being very hungry or not hungry at all and you're eating anyway. He also said that your hormones etc are on a schedule - it's why I have to take thyroid bill/BCP bill at roughly same time every day as your body gets used to that timing. Change it, and it throws things off. 3 meals and 2 snacks.

2. Don't eat after 7pm. This is difficult at first, but after a few days I got used to it.

3. Learn when you are hungry. We eat because it's time to eat or social event, and we're not actually hungry. Ask yourself if you're hungry before eating more. He prefers this to calorie counting or diet plans where you eat what they tell you too - first make good choices about the meal, but then you have to not overeat. He said we eat far more than what our bodies actually need.

4. Pre-portion all snacks. You have 4 chips and it's not much compared to the big bag, so you eat more. Put it in a smaller bag.

5. Push your food to the outer edges of the plate - spread it out, and use a smaller plate.

6. If you're running errands etc, and can't eat at normal time, have a protein bar or something that you can eat - must be convenient and easy - saves you from hitting the drive thru and you feed your body at the time it's expecting it.

7. Do up index cards of different meal options that you prepare at home or from your favourite restaurants - takes the guesswork out of it. Have enough choices so that you don't get bored. I already do this with breakfast, I have 3 or 4 options that I rotate.

8. Exercise - at the gym etc, but also a pedometer to track steps. Have normal day for 2-3 days then average it out. Then set goals to increase it, once met those, increase it again. He stressed exercise in daily life and not just workouts.

9. Drink water and then drink more.

I've been following his advice for about 3 months, and nearly lost all the 10lbs I put on again....AND I haven't been working out. I know, really really bad of me, but I didn't get around to it. To me, the eating plan seems to have retrained my brain and my stomach to healthier eating habits. I grew up in the "clear your plate" household, so actually asking myself if I'm full or not before finishing, is definitely a change. Eating at set times - and I'm not always good about this - also makes it easier to wait until the next meal. Eg. I'm feeling a little hungry, but lunch is in 30 mins, so I'll wait rather than grab the chips, as I know I will be eating soon.

Now I want to lose another 5-10 lbs, so I'm heading to the gym tomorrow...I really think that with the eating plan, and now increasing exercise, I'll be able to do it.

Just thought I would share.

lovebeingamom
09-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you for sharing your story and success. I just printed your tips from the endocrinologist - something I think I will try.

What made you go to an endocrinologist for hypothroyidism? Just curious, I know I have mentioned before since DC have been born - I lose the baby weight (with the exceptation of 5-10 lbs.) then I gain another 5-10 lbs. on top of that. I sometimes wonder if I have a thyroid problem or should at least have it looked at.

Did your endocrinologist mention anything about starchy carbs?

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Ok, the after 7 thing...I don't understand that advice. It should be X hours before bedtime. If I went to sleep at 9, sure that could make sense. But, I go to sleep at 11-12 so I am often just eating dinner at 7. I start doing chores at 9. :) I don't tend to eat in the evening after dinner so this isn't a big issue for me but I just want a better understanding of the reasoning. What were you told?

Beth

sansdieu
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, the after 7 thing...I don't understand that advice. It should be X hours before bedtime. If I went to sleep at 9, sure that could make sense. But, I go to sleep at 11-12 so I am often just eating dinner at 7. I start doing chores at 9. :) I don't tend to eat in the evening after dinner so this isn't a big issue for me but I just want a better understanding of the reasoning. What were you told?

:yeahthat:

The "after 7" thing is age-old advice, and I don't like it anymore now than I did 20 years ago. These days, I come home from work around 7-7:30 (after 1-1.5 hrs of sitting in traffic); then both DH and I run around like crazy trying to feed and bathe DD, read a book and put her to bed. So I can only eat AFTER she's asleep, which is around 8:30 (AND i have to prepare something to eat, so typically I won't eat until 9:30-10). And I rarely go to bed before midnight either.

This is not to say that the endocrinologist did not give good advice... It's just that most of it is not realistic for working parents of a very active child, who don't have a nannies and cooks or other hired help. Eat at the same time each day? Pre-package snacks? Exercise? Eat when you're hungry? I eat *when* I can and *if* I have anything in the house (which is rare). Any wonder I can't lose a single pound?

Sorry; just had to vent...

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Btw, congratulations on the weight loss!! :cheerleader1: And thank you for sharing the tips. I was in a hrry this morning when I posted!

Beth

MoJo
09-17-2009, 02:34 PM
I too felt most defensive about the no food after 7 p.m. because I too don't get home from work 'til 7 or later, and then need to make dinner/feed & bathe DD/etc. Would love to hear more about that.

But I tend to go to bed around 10, because DH is up around 5 a.m.

And realistically, most of my schedule has gone out the window when DD came in. If I'm up in the middle of the night, it's hard to get up "on time." And that throws everything else off. Still, it's a good goal. I've notice lately I'm much worse about eating consistently.

I like the idea of having planned good choices, whether for eating in or out.

mommylamb
09-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Losing weight is so hard. After reading your post, I'm going to go get myself a cup of water.

I too am in the home late category. I rarely eat dinner before 7, though usually do before 8. but, if I could institute a no snacks after bedtime rule, that would be good (as in, that ice cream I ate last night after DS went to bed was probably not the best idea.)

niccig
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
The not eating after 7pm - he told me that your body is still digesting food while you are trying to sleep. I was having insomnia that is not related to thyroid as levels were fine and no other symptoms, and I know how I feel when thyroid is too low, and I wasn't feeling that way. I started eating earlier with DS and I started to sleep better - it was the only thing I changed and I hadn't slept well in weeks. If I do eat after 7pm, and there are times I do, I do have trouble sleeping. But this might be totally individual specific and it's just how I am. But it works for me.

I have heard the don't eat for so many hours before sleep. DH is trying that as he isn't home until 7-8. He's trying to eat by 8 or 8.30pm.

Making dinner a smaller meal is another thing he said to do and I've heard that before. Again, I think the theory is that most of your calories should be during the day when you have a chance to use them, rather than at night when you're not active.

I do get that you body has it's own schedule and by trying to eat at regular times, go to sleep at regular time, wake up at regular time - it makes me feel better. When I'm all over the place with eating and sleeping, I get all out of whack. At the very least, it's probably keeping my blood sugar levels and energy more stable.

I also don't follow it to the T. Some days I just can't, so I'm not a slave to it or anything. I find it a little easier during the week as life is more scheduled than weekends for me.

niccig
09-17-2009, 05:08 PM

Beth

I don't go to be until 11 or 12 either. So I eat with DS around 6pm. I'm not eating until breakfast at 7.30am. Some nights, I will have something small a little later on - like nuts, or a fruit bar, cup of herbal tea. I just started having a cut of hot cocoa. At first I was hungry before I went to bed, but not so much anymore.

I actually need to go to bed earlier..too much of a night owl with an earlier morning because of school. I have to take thyroid medicine 1 hour before eating, and now that DS's school is earlier, I have to wake up earlier to take medicine, wait an hour and then have breakfast and coffee. I'll also say that that change to my morning routine was VERY difficult to make, as I'm a eat/coffee as soon as you wake up person. But I've adjusted to it.

niccig
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
:yeahthat:

This is not to say that the endocrinologist did not give good advice... It's just that most of it is not realistic for working parents of a very active child, who don't have a nannies and cooks or other hired help. Eat at the same time each day? Pre-package snacks? Exercise? Eat when you're hungry? I eat *when* I can and *if* I have anything in the house (which is rare). Any wonder I can't lose a single pound?

Sorry; just had to vent...

Vent away. I do get that it is difficult. It's the eating plan for diabetics to lose weight, maintain weight - and they have to do all of this to manage their blood sugar levels and health.

I don't have diabetes, but with hypothyroidism I only have to look sideways at ice cream and add on 10 lbs. When I put on 10lbs, my medication doesn't work as well and then I start getting symptoms again and poor DH/DS get brunt of crazy psycho lady. I can have medicine level adjusted but it takes 3-4 weeks for that to kick in. Even though i am on right level of medication, it's not the same as natural hormones and gaining weight is much much easier and losing it is more difficult. So I'm kind of at a point health wise where I have to be more careful about my eating.

My convenience options have been protein bars with glass of milk, or a Lean Cuisine meal with glass of milk. Not as good as making food myself, but better than In N Out burger, which is just down the street from me...terrible temptation that.

niccig
09-17-2009, 05:22 PM
And realistically, most of my schedule has gone out the window when DD came in. If I'm up in the middle of the night, it's hard to get up "on time." And that throws everything else off. Still, it's a good goal. I've notice lately I'm much worse about eating consistently.

I like the idea of having planned good choices, whether for eating in or out.

Heck, I've just started to get serious about this, and DS is nearly 5. No way could I have done this when DS was still waking at night...

And again, I've gotten a kick in the pants because of health reason. When I gain 10lbs, my thyroid medicine is less effective and I'm crazy woman. When I lose 10lbs it's too effective and I go hypo and get chest pains. I've got to keep it constant.

niccig
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Thank you for sharing your story and success. I just printed your tips from the endocrinologist - something I think I will try.

What made you go to an endocrinologist for hypothroyidism? Just curious, I know I have mentioned before since DC have been born - I lose the baby weight (with the exceptation of 5-10 lbs.) then I gain another 5-10 lbs. on top of that. I sometimes wonder if I have a thyroid problem or should at least have it looked at.

Did your endocrinologist mention anything about starchy carbs?

I had thyroid nodule - basically a benign tumor on my thyroid. I had to have half thyroid removed. I wasn't hypo until the surgery. You can have your Dr. do thyroid test. But ask for the results - there's some posts in the Lounge if you search taht says what you want to ask your DR. Many people are under diagnosed with thryoid conditions. I don't have time to search now, but I'll try to come back later tonight to do so.

I'm following the DR's. advice on when to eat etc. But I'm using what I learned from Weight Watchers about WHAT to eat. I'm not counting points, as when I stop that, I gain weight again. It's why he doesn't like diet plans as when you stop the plan, you go back to old eating habits. I'm using what I learned in weight watchers about the kind of food to eat, and portion size, but then I check if I'm hungry before I eat anymore or not. And I'm trying to be more consistent with time of meals/snacks.

And yes, I'm still having bread....I love my bread, but I only have 1 piece when go to a restaurant and no butter. I'm still eating ice cream, just trying to do it once a week or so. Again, not a slave to it...if I've had a tough day, I'm grabbing the chocolate...just trying to have more good eating days than bad.

mm123
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm a bit confused about the no eating after 7 thing. I had Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant with DD, and was put on a very strict 3 meals, 3 snacks diet. Portions/carbs/eating times were all to be kept as consistent as possible.

The difference was that they (nutritionist, endocrinologist) told me it was VERY important to have the 3rd snack a couple of hours after dinner, before bed, in order to keep my blood sugars more constant. It was usually a small glass of milk with a fruit or a couple of arrowroot type cookies.

Seems like very different advice...

niccig
09-19-2009, 04:02 AM
The difference was that they (nutritionist, endocrinologist) told me it was VERY important to have the 3rd snack a couple of hours after dinner, before bed, in order to keep my blood sugars more constant. It was usually a small glass of milk with a fruit or a couple of arrowroot type cookies.

Seems like very different advice...

I am actually having a small snack after 7pm. When he said eat before 7pm, it's the the meal by 7pm...and that a smallish snack like what you describe is fine, as long as small, nutritious and not a bowl of ice cream. I used to eat my meal at 9pm and then asleep by 11pm, so only 2 hours to digest bowl of pasta, salad etc. Now I eat around 6pm and have 4+ hours to digest and use some calories before sleep.

I have found that eating more regular meals does even out blood sugar and energy, and I'm not as hungry as the next meal/snack is not far off. It seems to be working to help lose weight as I think I'm not eating as much - no binge eating when starving - and i'ts supposed to help with maintain weight at certain amount. I'm not at maintenance yet.