PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with the ZONE in-home delivery?

sansdieu
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm getting desperate here. If I had the time, I'd count calories, prepare weekly menus in advance, and go to the gym daily. (I would also do my hair and makeup everyday and actually coordinate my accessories). In reality, none of this is going to happen, and since my DD is about to turn 2 (and my weight has changed little since the day she was born), I need to do something.

I cannot do nutrisystems because I know I won't be able to stomach it. I have tried every frozen meal on the market (including organic ones), and I cannot stomach any of them either. (I still vividly remember eating a "Healthy Choice" meal and trying to figure out whether the "green" stuff was a gelatinous dessert or some sort of veggie side.)

My problem (as per my friend the nutritionist) is not that I overeat; it's that I do not eat enough, and my diet is especially deficient in protein (so rather than burn fat, my body is storing it and wasting away my muscle tissue isntead).

Since I cannot afford a personal chef, I've been looking into the food-delivery idea, and somebody recommended the Zone. There are several problems with it, however. First, it's ridiculously expensive (the most basic, non-customizable plan in my area will be about $1300-1400/month). Second, they deliver in the wee hours (5-6 am) and leave the food outside. It's in some type of cooler bag, so I don't think it will go bad, but I'm afraid that racoons and other local wildlife will get to it before I do.

Spending that much money is a huge commitment, and before I do that, I would like to at least hear from somebody who has experience with it (or any other food-delivery place.)

kijip
09-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I am shocked at the expense- that is far more than I spend on groceries/food for my entire family for a month. I guess my big concern is that something like the Zone only works while you are on it. To lose weight and maintain it, it needs to be something you can do sustainably and forever.

Have you tried meeting with a nutritionist at all and discussing ways to fit nutrition in with your life? It is possible to hit of target range of calories and protein grams without exactly counting calories and menu planning. But you have to learn how approach food choices. The protein thing is especially easy once you learn how much is in a number of different foods. I have met with a nutritionist 3 times in the last couple of months and it has been really helpful and I am not finding that it takes more time than what I was doing before. You could just plan to eat 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks and count up the protein, but not track the calories specifically. Usually people not eating enough are skipping meals (like not eating lunch at all etc).

Undereating is apparently my problem too because I did not realize how many calories I needed to be eating until I took a test to measure my resting metabolic rate. I am working to fix that, but it's harder than it seems! So I understand where you are at. Lots of encouragement to you whatever route you decide to take.

If you do go with the Zone, I would still try and learn how you want to eat after you are off the Zone. Maybe doing it for awhile would give you ideas on foods you like and how much of it to eat.

sansdieu
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Kijip,

Thank you for words of encouragement.

Yep, the cost is astounding. It's at least twice what I spend on groceries for the entire family (and I mostly shop at Whole Foods, which is way overpriced to begin with.) Although it's probably less than hiring full-time domestic help, I imagine.

My problem is not tracking calories (there are great free website that do those kinds of calculations for you), nor am I particularly ignorant about nutrition (and my good friend -- out-of-state, alas-- is a Registered dietitian). It all comes down to two things:

1. LACK of time
and
2. being somewhat picky about foods I eat

I can't find the time to cook (other than in the middle of the night and, occasionally on weekends), or make an appointment with a nutritionist (anymore than I can find time for several other long-overdue medical appointments). And I'm so sleep-deprived that I don't think I can take many more of those midnight cooking rounds...