PDA

View Full Version : Is there a height limit for rear facing a convertable?

Kestrel
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
This may seem like a strange question to you more experienced parents, but...

We are researching convertable carseats for our very tall baby, and while I see differences in weight allowances rear-facing, I don't find a height limit. Can you keep them rear-facing as long as the weight limit allows, no matter the height?

jerigirl
09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Usually you want a minimum of 1 inch of shell left above the baby's head.

jjordan
09-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Not a strange question at all, like the pp said, you need to have 1" of shell above the baby's head.

Essentially a convertible with a long shell length will last longer RF by length than one with a shorter shell, although often the RF weight limit is reached before the RF height limit. However with new convertibles coming out that RF to 40# and up, I think outgrowing the RF height limit will become more common, even among the long-shelled seats.

The Radian and TrueFit will probably last the longest RF by length, and of those the new Radians (starting with those manufactured this month) have a 45# RF weight limit and will last the longest by weight BY FAR. So if you are looking to keep your lo RF as long as possible, a Radian is definitely the way to go.

One down side to the Radian is that it does take up a lot of front-to-back space when RF. It's not a problem for large cars, and it's usually not a problem for small cars IF you can fit it in the middle of the back seat and have it stick out between the front seats a little.

Fairy
09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Kestrel, while you're here, go to your fence thread and give us an update, cuz we're dyin', here!

cecynavarro
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
check out the Radian 80xt. These carseats are pretty tall.

http://www.skjp.com/product/97556/195XX/_/RadianXT