PDA

View Full Version : How much to sell my used Snugride?

Jennifer626
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
A close friend of mine is pregnant and asked today if I would sell her our carseat when we are done with it. DH and I had no intention of selling it, we were just going to keep it in the garage and hopefully use it again (if) we have another baby, but they expire after 5 years right? So now I'm thinking about selling it to her. We have been using it daily for 5 months, but it's in pristine shape, no tears or stains whatsoever, and not in any kind of car accident at all.

It's a Snugride Platinum, which is the really nice one with extra padding, a boot, etc. We bought for $160 last December, it sells on amazon.com for $140 right now. We bought 2 extra bases (that she wants also), $35 extra, so that's another $70 that we spent.

So I'm in it $210, and it's in perfect, brand new condition. Does $150 seem fair? I don't want to make a profit, but also don't want to just give it away either.

Here's a link to our seat:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N1FJ6A/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000XHSLPG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DFVYVPJF94W0616YAXA

Thanks for your help!

AshleyAnn
09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
On my local craigslist seats like this sell for about $100 including the bases. I'd list at $150 but accept the highest offer you get.

Jennifer626
09-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not selling it on CL, one of my close friends asked if she could buy it from us since I'm moving up to a convertible seat...

AshleyAnn
09-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Then $150 is more than fair IMO. Sorry I totally missed the friend portion of the post.

Piglet
09-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't know... for me I prefer to keep my baby car seats and lend them out as needed, to friends I truly trust with them. Then they give the seats back and I use them when I need them. In fact there was one seat that I loaned out about 3 times. Again, it is all about comfort level and trust, but these were super close friends and I would have known if the seats were in accidents. I just don't like the idea of selling my used baby gear to my friends. Strangers, yes. Friends, no. I am not sure why that is, but I think it might be asking for trouble if there were issues down the road and she might be angry with you. I guess I just don't like mixing friends and money. The seat expires after 6 years, if that changes anything.

mariza
09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
have to agree with PP, if you planned on just putting in in storage when you are done I would probably tell my friend she could borrow it until I needed it again or just sell it to a stranger. Maybe not the answer you were looking for but just my honest opinion.

bubbaray
09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Divide $210 by the maximum life (6yr) = $35. For every year lost off the maximum life, subtract $35. So if there is 4 full years left, you would subtract $70.

AnnieW625
09-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't know... for me I prefer to keep my baby car seats and lend them out as needed, to friends I truly trust with them. Then they give the seats back and I use them when I need them. In fact there was one seat that I loaned out about 3 times. Again, it is all about comfort level and trust, but these were super close friends and I would have known if the seats were in accidents. I just don't like the idea of selling my used baby gear to my friends. Strangers, yes. Friends, no. I am not sure why that is, but I think it might be asking for trouble if there were issues down the road and she might be angry with you. I guess I just don't like mixing friends and money. The seat expires after 6 years, if that changes anything.

:yeahthat:

Melaine
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
We sold our seats on CL at about 40% of purchase price.

cecynavarro
09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Are you planning on having another baby soon? If so, I would keep it. If not, usually once an item is used, the sale value is about 50% less, even if its in great condition. Look on ebay and see how much they are selling for.

If it was me and a friend asked for it, I wouldnt sell it to her......I would give it to her as a gift to her child.

Snow mom
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah, even if you think you could get $150 on craigslist, that seems really steep to me, especially for a friend. I would just loan it to her if you trust her. I don't like to bring business that could lead to hurt feelings into friendships.

Jennifer626
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! This particular person is a great friend of mine. However, she's not great at borrowing things and taking good care of them. I let her borrow my favorite book to read, and "her roommate's dog ate it, sorry" and she never replaced it. I let her borrow a Halloween costume and props to go with it, and I didn't get it back until August the next year. Because of this, I don't feel comfortable loaning her anything of value, and planning on getting it back in decent condition.

I would be really upset if I loaned her this car seat in new condition, and she used it for 6 months and completely ruined it, and then I got pregnant again and wanted it back. However, I did tell her last night that I would sell it to her for $150, but we want the option to buy it back from her after the baby is born.

If it was a friend that had previously borrowed things and taken good care of them, I would let them borrow it no problem. But knowing her history, I don't want to let this get in between our friendship.

AnnieW625
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I would honestly just tell her that you aren't comfortable loaning the seat because you plan to use it again. I tend to lend things that I am not 100% attached too and if I don't get them back (like my rear adjust Snugride 22; actually kind of hoping I don't get it back or if I do I can trade it in at BRUS when I have a second kid) I am not going to miss it much.

Jennifer626
09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
See that's the thing... I was telling her how I'm trying to find a good convertible seat and she said "what are you going to do with your infant seat?" I said "stick it in the garage"... she said "hmm...would you sell it to me?"

She's very craigslist, likes used things to save money, etc, type person. She's getting a lot of hand me down stuff and someone offered her a carseat but it's really ugly, and she likes mine, but I made it pretty clear before that I'm not interested in loaning any of my stuff out.

Jennifer626
09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
And, DH and I won't be TTC again for a few years at least, if ever...so it's very likely that it would just sit in the garage and expire.

Piglet
09-18-2009, 02:13 PM
And, DH and I won't be TTC again for a few years at least, if ever...so it's very likely that it would just sit in the garage and expire.

But then you might as well loan it to her and be the good friend.

bubbaray
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
In a few years, there will be something better/nicer on the market. I wouldn't save a seat if that is your timeline.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used infant seat for $150, but if she wants to, fine. If not, I'd sell it.

lorinick
09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
150.00 is crazy for a used Graco seat. I sold a SR22 with an extra base for 40.00. The seat was used with my last child only and used for about 7-8 mts. and was in perfect cond. I thought the price was fair. The items were still used and not that expensive brand new.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2009, 02:55 PM
If you don't want to sell it to her, you could simply play the "while I know and you know my seats are safe, I am a bit uncomfortable lending out a safety item as important as a carseat." I wouldn't want to be liable of anything happened b/c of the carseat.

Beth

Jennifer626
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
If you don't want to sell it to her, you could simply play the "while I know and you know my seats are safe, I am a bit uncomfortable lending out a safety item as important as a carseat." I wouldn't want to be liable of anything happened b/c of the carseat.

Beth

Ooh that's a great answer.

kbud
09-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I think $150 is way too high. I wouldn't buy a used seat for $150. I don't think you'd be able to get that much on CL either. I sold my Safeseat 1 in heirloim for $60 through a consignment shop (I got $30). I had on CL for quite awhile and had no luck even at $30. There are so many graco infant seats available that it looses value that way too.

If you think you'll need it again either loan it or just hold on to it. That's what I'd do.

Good luck.

jesseandgrace
09-20-2009, 11:06 AM
That's way, way too high for a used seat IMO. The thing is that when you buy these things new they are expensive, but the resale value (unlike some strollers) just isn't high. Why? Because there are a ton of infant seats in good shape that people are done using. For some these last only about 6 months and then people move on. Six months where there is no eating baby, nothing to make the seat gross, and so for most people these are in pristine condition. I would not sell it to her for over $100, and I would consider that a pretty good deal for both of you because unless you are having another child sooner rather than later, it will probably just take up space in your garage and then get tossed.

kijip
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
A used carseat is still used, no matter how much the original condition. I can see asking more than 50%, possibly 60%, what it cost new. Here that is about averages $100 tops on Craigslist. She is your friend so I can't see charging her more than she would pay on Craigslist.

tnrnchick74
09-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I JUST sold (like on Sat) my SS1 in french roast with 2 bases + a carseat toy for $60. I had put a new harnass on it because DS was a puker. I didn't make a lot of $$, but its gone from the apartment and a teen single mom got a GREAT SAFE seat at a decent deal. I did give the teen mom the spiel about not buying safety items used unless the person is willing to take responsibility that the seat has never been in an accident ,etc.