PDA

View Full Version : Chicco KeyFit 30 comes with infant head support pillow??

mylikuliku
09-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I just recently bought a Chicco Keyfit 30 (Adventure).
It does come along an infant support pad for newborn and smaller baby.
Should this car seat come along with the infant head support pillow as well?
If not, should I get one for my newborn especially during the journey home from hospital?
Or should the infant support pad do the job?

drako
09-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I have the Chicco infant seat that comes with the travel system. The infant seat only allows babies up to 22 pounds. They are very similar but have different weight capacities. I found that the insert Chicco provided was sufficient for my newborn. I actually found it to be more supportive than ones you can buy at the store. We actually got a few for our shower and I returned them because I liked the Chicco insert better.

nrp
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
My Keyfit 30 had two inserts - the infant body insert (that you can only use while baby is less than 11 lbs) and a head pillow, which I think you can use longer. Do you mean that you just bought a new one and it is missing the head pillow? If that's the case, I'd definitely see about exchanging it or having a head pillow sent. I really liked the inserts in the KF - made DS much snuglier than DD had been in an old Snugride.

ETA: If I read your post wrong and you mean that you just aren't satisfied with the head pillow that came with it, be careful about buying anything after-market as many things are not crash tested and even if they are may not have been crash tested with the Keyfit. So, if you go that route, just use a rolled-up receiving blanket snugged around your baby's head.

GraceH
09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I believe Chicco's intention is to have both head and body supports in for your newborn, and then remove the butt/lower back portion once your DC is over 11lbs.
As others have already said, aftermarket products are not recommended if they interfere with the straps (rolled receiving blankets around baby or rolled washcloth between baby and crotch strap are considered good to use for very small babies though)

Joolsplus2
09-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Chiccos have a head pillow (you just bought it? I assume you haven't received it in the mail then? Or you'd know for sure :)), and the Chicco pillow is way better than the aftermarket head huggers. Here's my newborn in her Key Fit, it was awesome...very supportive! http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#4997291393555169298

mylikuliku
09-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, actually I did have the infant pad that support up to 11lbs but the headpillow is not in the box?? I check the manual, it also didn't mention it should include the headpillow. Can someone post the picture so that I have some idea?

FYI, I bought it online from Diapers.com.

Joolsplus2
09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Bizarro...call Chicco and ask, because it definitely should be in there, as well as a page in the instructions about how and when to use it.

mylikuliku
09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
OK, I double checked again yesterday.
It seems that, the pillow and the pad are almost look identical, am I right?
But there are 2 separate pieces.
If you didn't pay too much attention, it thought that they are single piece.
The pillow didn't really look like a pillow though...more like a head pad while the infant pad more like a pad to support shoulder down.

Am I right??

srhs
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
OK, I double checked again yesterday.
It seems that, the pillow and the pad are almost look identical, am I right?
But there are 2 separate pieces.
If you didn't pay too much attention, it thought that they are single piece.
The pillow didn't really look like a pillow though...more like a head pad while the infant pad more like a pad to support shoulder down.

Am I right??Yes, they are almost identical. Each has a different weight limit though, so check that in your manual. The head one can be used for awhile after the body one needs to come out. I haven't wanted/needed any additional support with either babe. And I've read here several times from the experts that aftermarket pillows and the like are safety no-nos.

mylikuliku
09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes, they are almost identical. Each has a different weight limit though, so check that in your manual. The head one can be used for awhile after the body one needs to come out. I haven't wanted/needed any additional support with either babe. And I've read here several times from the experts that aftermarket pillows and the like are safety no-nos.

Thanks for the clarification!!

srhs
09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Just looked it up for my review too:
http://www.chiccousa.com/Files/pdf/product-manuals/KF30instructions3_00.pdf

Newborn Insert: up to 11 lbs.

Head Support:
"can be used with or without newborn insert"
"Fastener Tabs must always connect through slots ABOVE the slots used for harness."
"NEVER use head support with harness in upper slots. Head support could interfere with harness adjustment."

IIRC, we removed the newborn insert when DS1 hit 10 lbs. and then the head support when he didn't need it in our opinion but definitely before we needed to move the harness height up.