PDA

View Full Version : S/O Holiday list thread--What are you making DC?

kayte
09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Just curious what everyone else has on their crafting list to be done by the holidays .....

ourbabygirl
09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I got a bunch of fun stuff from Barebooks (out of WI), since they have a minimum order of $25 and everything on the site is pretty cheap :). Anyhow, I got some blank board books that I'm going to turn into something for DD & her cousins, and also some blank puzzles that I'm going to do something with for them. It's nice because they are 12-piece puzzles, and we have 12 family members (at least for now- we'll see if one of my SIL's drops the pregnancy news again this Christmas!).
I'm really not a seamstress or anything, so paper products are about the extent of my craftiness ;)!

hbridge
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
A canopy for DD's bed. I'm hoping to use an embroidery hoop and some curtain panels...

brittone2
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm kind of stumped this year. Most years I've made them something, but I need some inspiration this year. I am not a seamstress by any stretch, but most of my gifts have been needle-felted items (playfood, playscape...). I made DS a small waldorf style bunting baby one year but i've been too wimpy to try a full-sized Waldorf doll. DD has baby fever, so I know she'd love another doll even though she has too many.

Melaine
09-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Ohhhh I also need some inspiration. I am half-heartedly crocheting a couple of sandwiches for the birthday but no plans for Christmas. Although I have enough yarn to do sweaters, but I would need to have help to figure something that complicated out. Or at least be able to count or follow patterns *sigh*.

Melaine
09-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I got a bunch of fun stuff from Barebooks (out of WI), since they have a minimum order of $25 and everything on the site is pretty cheap :). Anyhow, I got some blank board books that I'm going to turn into something for DD & her cousins, and also some blank puzzles that I'm going to do something with for them. It's nice because they are 12-piece puzzles, and we have 12 family members (at least for now- we'll see if one of my SIL's drops the pregnancy news again this Christmas!).
I'm really not a seamstress or anything, so paper products are about the extent of my craftiness ;)!

Blank board books?!?! How awesome!

Melaine
09-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Wow, this all looks really cheap! Have you tried doing the board books yet? It says markers, but will any markers work? I'd love any more info on this, thanks for sharing the website!

ourbabygirl
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Sure!
I got them a couple weeks ago (shipping was amazingly cheap- $3- and fast- I think I ordered on Labor Day evening and got my box two days later- Wed. afternoon)!
Anyhow, the board books' 'covers/ pages' are a little slicker/ shinier than the regular blank books, so you might want to use permanent markers or crayons (I haven't done anything with them yet). Otherwise, their website has recommendations for what to use with the regular books and maybe for the board books, too.
I'm planning to use regular Crayola markers for the regular book but not sure what to do w/the board books (I had thought of stickers, like scrapbooking, but I'm worried that whatever I use, the kids might chew them off!).

Melaine
09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Sure!
I got them a couple weeks ago (shipping was amazingly cheap- $3- and fast- I think I ordered on Labor Day evening and got my box two days later- Wed. afternoon)!
Anyhow, the board books' 'covers/ pages' are a little slicker/ shinier than the regular blank books, so you might want to use permanent markers or crayons (I haven't done anything with them yet). Otherwise, their website has recommendations for what to use with the regular books and maybe for the board books, too.
I'm planning to use regular Crayola markers for the regular book but not sure what to do w/the board books (I had thought of stickers, like scrapbooking, but I'm worried that whatever I use, the kids might chew them off!).

Thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to remember this for the future. Let us know how the books turn out.

Melaine
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Anyone else?
I am going to email some of my mommy friends and try to host a playsilk dyeing party before the holidays, I think it would be really fun after reading about it here.

I am also thinking about decorating lap desks for the girls and our nieces and nephews. I want more ideas though!

Glizmo
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Dyeing playsilks for DD & DN and knitting hats and mittens for winter. I think I'll check out Barebooks too, that sounds fun!

Melaine
10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow guys check this thread: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494558&highlight=playsilks

It has tons of awesome tutorials, inspirational photos and good ideas!!

MommyAllison
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm knitting a hat/mitten set for each (2 for DS - DD's still fit from last year but his don't), a hoodie for DS and a pinafore sweater for DD. Sewing up some nightgowns and pj's for DD, jammie sets for DS, and a Waldorf doll for DS. Doll clothes for each. Thankfully some of this is already mostly done!

Those blank board books sound sooo cool! DH would love to do those for the kids.