PDA

View Full Version : Holiday gift ideas for 6yo boy...

gatorsmom
09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Gator is getting harder to buy for. And at Christmas his relatives tend to spoil him and his siblings. My dad in particular is very generous. He usually asks me to spend $100 on each kid. I could buy a lot of little things but I know he'd prefer that I buy one very nice gift with that money. Last year I splurged on a Hape Quadrilla Marble run that the boys absolutely LOVE. I was thinking of buying add-on kits if they exist. Honestly, other than the toys sold at Target, I don't even know what's out there. I rarely go to toy stores because if I did I"d have to drag kids with me and the whining and begging that would ensue are just more than I could bear....LOL.

I am watching the Holiday threads closely and there are some great ideas for Preschool-age kids and younger but not as many for older kids....Any suggestions? tia!

hellokitty
09-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Is he into lego? My oldest will turn six soon after Christmas, so our kids are close to the same age. He is nuts about legos and also very into star wars right now. So, anything star wars or lego or even better, the star wars lego stuff is what he is REALLY into right now. One other thing if family likes to give a, "big" gift. I know it's not a physical gift, but they can also pay for a membership to a zoo or science center. I have even asked for stuff like swim lessons for the kids before and my mom basically gave us $100 for swim lessons for both kids. Also, there is always the dreaded video game too.

I'm starting to notice that my older two aren't as much into their toys anymore, except for lego, k'nex, trains/cars, books, leapster and board games these days.

bubbaray
09-20-2009, 11:44 PM
NintendoDS? I'm considering one for my DD#1 but think next year might be better. I haven't got a clue about them -- there are various versions. I also am not a huge fan of video games, but do like LeapFrog stuff. The DS has always looked more "big kid" to me than a Leapster, KWIM?

gatorsmom
09-20-2009, 11:55 PM
NintendoDS? I'm considering one for my DD#1 but think next year might be better.

We are trying really, really hard to keep our kids away from video games. Already all Gator wants is to watch TV all the time. I am very fearful that he would ask me all.the.time to play video games. It's already hard enough to limit the TV with him asking all the time.

I really like the Snapcircuits stuff. And yes, Legos are a BIG favorite of his. I'm just wondering if there are other fantastic products out there I might be missing. It was total luck that I came across that post recommending the Quadrilla Marble run and it was a brilliant gift idea.

kijip
09-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Besides lego/building stuff we have seen a lot of mileage on:

Science kits- Electricity, magnets- from godparents and uncles
Telescope - from us last Christmas
Microscope with pre-made slides (from my Dad at Christmas 2008)
Stellarscope with book set (from a grandparent for his 6th b-day)
Gardening set (tools, gloves, watering can, seeds to start indoors etc)

If you're noticing a science theme, let's just say that having T has been more educational science wise than pretty much any science class I ever took short of honors Physics in college.

I get you on the video games. We do have a Wii and he plays that sometimes (though not a ton of TV watching) but the whole portability thing of the DS/Leapster seems to beg to fill a ton of time, LOL.

hellokitty
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Along the lines of snap circuits (which is also something I've been eying), I snagged some science kits from Target clearance about 2 mo ago. My boys are REALLY into that stuff. I'm trying to lean less toward, "toy" type of things, they are interesting in, "doing" stuff, kwim? You can ask him if there are any classes he wants to take and maybe that can be a gift from a family member. Also, books. My kids always love getting books, esp about topics like bugs, space, animals, oceans, trains, etc.. You can get him a magazine subscription to something he's interested in as well, which is always cool, since kids think it's neat to get mail.

Oh, I forgot to mention that if he likes lego, there is a lego subscription. I can't remember the name of it, but it is on their website. I was going to tell any family members who asked what the boys wanted to look into the lego subscription. I think they get a free tix to legoland (a lot of ppl sell these on ebay if you can't go), a magazine and a lego kit every month. Not sure of all the details, but you get the idea.

ett
09-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Legos, board and card games, and books are the big hits with DS1 these days.

Jen841
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
My son is sport obsessed and his #1 favorite gift is his Baseball Guys by Kaskey Kids. They are $25.99 at set at our Learning Express. His Christmas list is already (in this order):
Football Guys
Hockey Guys
Soccer Guys

He will do his Playmobile stuff some.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Legos and games (video or board).

Beth

toby
09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
forsmallhands.com
has some good ideas. I don't know if this is something that he would like, but the two way microscope is awesome. You lift up the magnifying cone, put something underneath (bug, leaf, coin...). The really neat part is when you look through the side hole, you can see the bottom magnified also.
http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_92_1208

Small Pal's home
http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_92_2049

binoculars

The above are all kind of "sciency"-I don't know if he is into this kind of thing.

Squeeze Rockets
http://www.amazon.com/D-Company-DLCOMPANY20555-Squeeze-Rocket/dp/B0006N6USM

or stomp rocket...

ETA: I just realized that you are looking for one big thing and these are all little...sorry I didn't read your post more carefully!

brittone2
09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
DS is 5.5. His big current favorites are:

Lego
Playmobil
Vehicles of any type (he just bought himself a Bruder Forklift). Loves, loves, loves his cars from Ridemakerz (just got another one on vacation).
science themed things (we have a big snapcircuit set and he enjoys that; he's into robotics and we just got the snapcircuit rover for him, and a book on making robots from household items/recycled materials/packaging).
Books-he's into DK Eyewonder (more age appropriate), and DK Eyewitness (over his level but he looks at what he wants and we read the sections he's interested in) specifically.
Still likes magnatiles, and will do this w/ his sister.
Likes games; Blokus is a big hit w/ all of us.
Rokenbok (is a bigger $$ item). We rotate this in/out of play as it takes up the whole train table and DD likes to use the train table for trains and other play.
Smaller item, but he picked out an analog watch for himself on vacation that was under $15. I think from the company Toysmith if I'm remembering right.
Outdoor things-bike, scooter, etc.

with his own money he just bought his first digital camera (an adult type, not a kiddie camera) and he's very thrilled. He's been saving for a long time. Not sure if that would be something your DS would be interested in as a "big" gift.

For Christmas DS is getting:
Playmobil farm (to share w/ his sister) (in box, 2nd hand). Has several add on sets with it already.
Darda racecar track (2nd hand)
some games (thinking Heximoes, Rush Hour Jr., Set, etc. but will have to narrow it down).
I'm sure a few other things as well.

When I'm stumped for DS I'll thumb through one of my giant homeschooling catalogs (like Rainbow Resource) or a Montessori catalog (like Montessori Resources) and I get a lot of ideas, as DS loves those types of items...science stuff, kits, etc. I always find inspiration there.

trentsmom
09-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Last year I splurged on a Hape Quadrilla Marble run that the boys absolutely LOVE. I was thinking of buying add-on kits if they exist.

Yes, there are lots of expansion sets for Quadrilla (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=61). I've bought several of the sets. Which run did you buy last year?

hellokitty
09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I forgot to mention slot cars. We have vintage ones and my boys love it!

Percycat
09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
If he likes Snap Circuits, he might enjoy the rover. My DS (6) loves making robots and has a lot of fun with this accessory that moves via remote control:

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SCROV-10-Snap-Circuits-Rover/dp/B000GG7XXK

(If you don't have snap circuits yet and decide to get it, also order the student guide. The manuals that come with the kits are great at telling you what to do to make the projects, but the student guide explains the science behind the projects).

I am thinking about getting DS or DH/DS a handheld GPS unit for Christmas. I think he would have a great time geocaching. I am just starting my education so I don't know how much it will actually cost. I understand there is a big spread in prices.

My nephew (5) received a nice chess set from his other grandfather. The set is in a nice travel case. I think it is a great gift because DN brings the case with him when he visits either grandfather and plays chess. I like gifts that involve relationship between grandparents and grandchildren.

What about tickets to something and a night out with Grandpa and perhaps a smaller gift related to the event? What are your dad's interests? Gator could have fun and have a special memory with his grandpa.

I like magazine subscriptions because the gift keeps coming, but this would not be a big gift.

This is a great thread. I am getting good ideas for DS an DN.

angela

hobie
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Magnatiles or Magformers

gatorsmom
09-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Yes, there are lots of expansion sets for Quadrilla (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=61). I've bought several of the sets. Which run did you buy last year?

We have the Quadrilla Twist and Rail. We all love it and would play it much more than we do but I'm so afraid the twins will try to eat the marbles since they mouth everything else so we can't leave it seting around. It shows how to set up like 4 or 5 different runs but we can do all of those in afew hours. I definitely want to get the add-on kits. Do you have any favorites?

lablover
09-22-2009, 09:21 AM
My nephew (5) received a nice chess set from his other grandfather. The set is in a nice travel case. I think it is a great gift because DN brings the case with him when he visits either grandfather and plays chess. I like gifts that involve relationship between grandparents and grandchildren.
angela

Would you mind sharing the details of your chess set - what brand? DS's current obsession is chess and I want to give him a nice set for his birthday. Thanks!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Gator is getting harder to buy for. And at Christmas his relatives tend to spoil him and his siblings. My dad in particular is very generous. He usually asks me to spend $100 on each kid. I could buy a lot of little things but I know he'd prefer that I buy one very nice gift with that money. Last year I splurged on a Hape Quadrilla Marble run that the boys absolutely LOVE. I was thinking of buying add-on kits if they exist. Honestly, other than the toys sold at Target, I don't even know what's out there. I rarely go to toy stores because if I did I"d have to drag kids with me and the whining and begging that would ensue are just more than I could bear....LOL.

I am watching the Holiday threads closely and there are some great ideas for Preschool-age kids and younger but not as many for older kids....Any suggestions? tia!

Does your dad live close? Maybe he could take him for a sporting event/to a museum/lunch, etc. Would he like PLAN City stuff?

brittone2
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Would you mind sharing the details of your chess set - what brand? DS's current obsession is chess and I want to give him a nice set for his birthday. Thanks!

Not the poster you were asking, but I read good things about Quick Chess for kids, and we have it here. DS hasn't gotten that into it, but he's been super busy with outdoor play all summer. As the weather cools off, etc. I think he'll settle back into more games, etc. in the evenings.

In any case, you might want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/International-Playthings-iPlay-Board-Games-Quick/dp/B000FJ4A9S

Percycat
09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Not the poster you were asking, but I read good things about Quick Chess for kids, and we have it here. DS hasn't gotten that into it, but he's been super busy with outdoor play all summer. As the weather cools off, etc. I think he'll settle back into more games, etc. in the evenings.

In any case, you might want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/International-Playthings-iPlay-Board-Games-Quick/dp/B000FJ4A9S

It turns out that the set my nephew has is very reasonable:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3130895

I liked it because the case is nice and it is a great size for DN (5). He is really proud to carry the case, can take it with him, and the cardboard box won't break. My DH actually played with DN and DS. Apparently, the checker pieces are no very uniform, so it may not be great quality.... but the case is nice and DN loves it.

We also have quick chess. My DH bought it for my DS. It has a series of games/exercises that introduce concepts of the game. They started playing it, but lost interest. I don't know how to play chess... I think I should play with DS and learn the game too.

trentsmom
09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
We have the Quadrilla Twist and Rail. We all love it and would play it much more than we do but I'm so afraid the twins will try to eat the marbles since they mouth everything else so we can't leave it seting around. It shows how to set up like 4 or 5 different runs but we can do all of those in afew hours. I definitely want to get the add-on kits. Do you have any favorites?

We started with the Twist and Rail, too! If you check out the Quadrilla site, they give you lots more runs to build. Here's the first page (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=75) of the T&R, and then click see more buildings. I've also had good luck by looking in the Gallerys (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=109) for more options, though I've had to tweak some of the layouts since I didn't have the exact pieces.

We have the Extension Set (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=120). It comes with 3 spirals, and I really like the spirals! We also have the Switch Extension (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=43). I didn't like this as much as I hoped, though it is nice to be able to load 20 or so marbles at once and then watch them drop one by one. I've also purchased some individual items, like the S curves and some more of the small curves. I noticed they have the Fun Set 5 (http://www.quadrilla.com/article.php?sid=189) this year. I wish they had that the first year we had the marble run! Since DS1 was too small to reach the tops of the runs if we put it on the train table, we built everything on the floor. Marbles went everywhere until I figured out I could put metal lids underneath to catch everything.

Right now, I'm able to leave the marble runs up. But in a few months, it will all have to be put away until DS2 knows not to put the marbles in his mouth.