PDA

View Full Version : If you were handed $200 to purchase a convertible seat today which would it be?

lady bug
09-21-2009, 09:24 AM
If you were handed $200 to purchase a convertible seat today which would it be? And why?

AnnieW625
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
And only had $200 I would definitely compare the Evenflo Triumph Advance Premier or the The First Years True Fit. We had very good luck with our Triumph 5 so if I didn't have a lot of time to look I would go and get the Triumph Advance. One advantage that I do like about the True Fit is that it seems really plush for a newborn and you could use it instead of an infant seat. Another seat I might look at would be the Roundabout 50, which is a stripped down Marathon, however we probably wouldn't chose that seat because DD didn't care for her Marathon and was much more comfy in her Triumph 5 until she was around 2/1/2. If I was in a rush I'd most likely go with the Evenflo EFTA Premier because of how happy we were with our Triumph 5.

jjordan
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Hands down a new Radian SL (although you'd have to wait a few weeks as they are backordered). The MSRP is actually $229 but I think you could find a coupon code somewhere to get it down around $200.* It RF to 45# and will FF as long as any convertible (and longer than most). Also lasts 8 years which is longer than any other convertible seat, and if you ever need to fit 3 seats across, your best chance is to use at least one Radian.

*If you can't get the price of a Radian 65SL down to the $200 range, my second choice would be to get an older Radian 65, as long as it was manufactured after 9/08, and later buy the harness that will enable it to RF to 45#. I think you can get one for about $150 from Kohl's now (see the Bargain forum for details), and I can't imagine the new harness would cost more than $50. ETA here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=335432) is the link to the Kohl's thread on the Bargain forum.

vonfirmath
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I heard even with the new LATCH connectors, a Radian 65 with a DOM after Sept 1, 2008 will still only RF to 40#.

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I would go to TravelingTikes.com and get another Marathon. DD complains about the Radian, the Nautilus, etc. and will therefore stay in her MA until she's boster age. 5mos to booster age is what I call a good buy. I'd probably get another crocodile one to match our others b/c I get tired of patterns after a year or so. https://www.travelingtikes.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/?E+scstore

HIU8
09-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow, you made me remember that DS has been in his MA since he was 11 weeks old. He will be 5 in November. His original MA is now in DH's car. It was a discontinued cover, so we got it at a BM store for $179. That makes it $35.80/year and he has not outgrown it yet (e just had a growth spurt so who knows how much longer he will be in it...).

lorinick
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd get a RA50 or look for a great deal on the BV. Just love the BV.

jjordan
09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I heard even with the new LATCH connectors, a Radian 65 with a DOM after Sept 1, 2008 will still only RF to 40#.

Thanks, you're right, I had remembered wrong.

In that case I'd see how much Sunshine Kids will be charging for the harness upgrade. If I could buy a current Radian 80 (on sale for under $200) and the harness upgrade and still meet my $200 budget, that's what I'd do. Otherwise I'd just go with a Radian 65 and come in under budget, or maybe see if I could find a Radian XT on sale for under $200.

Mikey0709
09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I did JUST that - bought a Radian XT on sale for $187 shipped from kohls.com! Didn't really have TOO much of a choice - needed a narrow seat to be able to fit 3 accross! Only went with the XT because of color and great price.

Piglet
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
For what age kid? Weight/height? What car? How many seats total will you need to have back there?

I have the Radian but don't love it - such a PITA to install at a good angle RFing thanks to the boot. FF is a dream and it is the best seat for 3-across hands down.

I have the TF and like it thanks to the no-rethread harness. It is WIDE! The only issue I have is the harness is difficult to loosen/tighten RFing in my van (the place to pull is pushed up against the seatback and is hard to wrangle).

My default rec. is a Britax (RA50, MA, BLVD). Nothing has proven easier to install than my MA and it is narrower than a lot of other choices and is easy tu use RF and FF. It is just awesome!

arivecchi
09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I did JUST that - bought a Radian XT on sale for $187 shipped from kohls.com! Didn't really have TOO much of a choice - needed a narrow seat to be able to fit 3 accross! Only went with the XT because of color and great price. What was the DOM of your XT?

lady bug
09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
For what age kid? Weight/height? What car? How many seats total will you need to have back there?

I have the Radian but don't love it - such a PITA to install at a good angle RFing thanks to the boot. FF is a dream and it is the best seat for 3-across hands down.

I have the TF and like it thanks to the no-rethread harness. It is WIDE! The only issue I have is the harness is difficult to loosen/tighten RFing in my van (the place to pull is pushed up against the seatback and is hard to wrangle).

My default rec. is a Britax (RA50, MA, BLVD). Nothing has proven easier to install than my MA and it is narrower than a lot of other choices and is easy tu use RF and FF. It is just awesome!

DS is 7 months, 16lbs, 28 inches. It's going in a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and will be the only seat right now.

I'm stuck between the TF, MA and MY65.

AshleyAnn
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
True Fit or a Recaro (closeout at Diapers.com) and I should have enough leftover to buy a scenera for DH's car!

lorinick
09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
DS is 7 months, 16lbs, 28 inches. It's going in a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and will be the only seat right now.

I'm stuck between the TF, MA and MY65.

Try to install them in your car and decide. Hands down between those choices I would go with the MA, but check out the RA50 without lockoff's. Cheaper than the MA and cheaper at 199. I know the TF has them. I don't think the MYRIDE does. If your not concerned about the lock offs I'd go with the RA50. Same seat as the MA except for the 50lb instead of 65lb the HUGS all else is the same but price is cheaper. It's a really nice seat. I like the Britax quality better than Graco and the TF is just really large. Great seat though.