PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your walk-ride!

janine
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd like to buy one for my little one who is cruising but not walking. I've seen tons of cute ones, but alot of negative reviews (tips over ,etc). Can anyone recommend one that is functional, but also sturdy (won't tip over when they pull themselves up) and ok on carpet/wood floors?

Or does this not exist? ...thanks!! :)

brittone2
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Honestly, I worked as a pediatric PT pre-kids and I never saw or used one that I liked. There may be new and better ones out there but I rarely see any highly recommended here. Hopefully if someone has one they like, they'll let you know though.

What is important for a push toy is a wider wheel base, and a handle that doesn't stick out very far from the center of gravity. A sturdier toy is easier to push, and for that reason my personal preference has been wood. The RF walker wagon gets great reviews and has little clickers on the wheels that help slow the speed. We have the Haba walker wagon, and it is very, very stable. Both are expensive but can be resold for a decent price on craigslist when you are done, or used creatively with older children for toy storage (the RF), a doll stroller, or a stand in grocery cart (especially the RF).

The plastic ones usually have plastic wheels which tend to be more likely to skid/slide. They are also usually harder for a child to pull to stand at as they aren't as heavy or stable.

If you look at the design of the sturdier ones, it makes sense-you'll see the handle doesn't stick out too far and there is a wider wheel base. You might be able to find similar design on a plastic combo ride on toy/push toy but in the past I haven't liked any of the combo ones. I do have a plastic shopping cart from my working days that my kids use outside. I don't think the specific model is made anymore, but it had a handle that was centered over the center of gravity, and had a nice wide wheel base. The wheels did tend to skid more and I found I usually had to hold it stable for a child pulling to stand at it.

MizMojoLaveau
09-21-2009, 12:54 PM
We have this one and I love it. It is very sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Alligator/dp/B000GZGE3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1253551990&sr=8-1

Doesn't have the "ride"option, though.

ourbabygirl
09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
That M&D one is cute, too- how old do you think a kid can be and still get use out of it? I'm looking for a gift for a soon-to-be-1 little boy...

janine
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the recommendations! I love the M&D one too, but read about the construction not being great--splinters coming off etc. It's hard to judge reviews though, some people are too picky!

The RW looks lovely too, but definitely pricey.

Heard the Hasbro Playskool Walker is good too, but then there's the tip over factor....

Accountant
09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I have the Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk 'n Ride, and it was DD's fav thing for months. She is especially accident prone, and I was actually surprised she didn't have more accidents on it. Very sturdy and long lasting (got mine from craigslist so it already had many miles on it). It only took her a couple trys to figure out how to stand up without pushing it out from under her so I didn't have to hold it for her.

She used it on carpet, tile, and cement no problem. This is not to say that she didn't get a few scrapped knees, but I think that is more from learning to walk rather than the walker.

The only downside is she doesn't look twice at it now that its converted to the ride-on, so my wistful goal of two toys in one is not coming true...

MizMojoLaveau
09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
The M&D one was a birthday gift for our not yet walking one yr. old. One of the best gifts ever! We got probably about 1 year use out of it, but I had a late walker. Still got use after DS was walking, but not as much as before. I had no splintering, etc. complaints and thought the construction on ours was great. And it did not tip over easily for one that is pulling up. It was something that was saved and will get use with DC 2.

littlebethany
09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
We have this one and I love it. It is very sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Alligator/dp/B000GZGE3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1253551990&sr=8-1

Doesn't have the "ride"option, though.

That is so cute!! :p

endlessheather
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
We had that M&D gator for both of our boys! What I liked about it too was that it didn't get moving so fast because the wheels have these little rubber type strips that keep it from moving a bit too fast. We do have a few other push ones but this was the fave in our house!