PDA

View Full Version : Update: I picked one..!!!Carrier for newborn to toddler........

newg
09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
So I have a hotsling and an ergo and I'm really not happy with either......I love to carry DD....but at 18 months I can only carry her for so long now..........
I can still do a hip carry with the hotsling, but she's getting too long to make it easy to slip on...........and she just didn't look right in it as an infant....
DH loves the ergo....but at 5'5'' it just seems like too much for me......especially for running errands or holding her around the house........

so ideally I'd like to get another carrier that I can use now with DD and then once we have another I'd use it with the newborn.....

I'm thinking a SSC would be the best choice for me.....
so that would be a Beco, Mei Tie or Pikkolo right??

Any good recs out there from BTDT moms???
Oh, and I'd rather not spend a lot......the ergo was over $100 and I don't think DH would understand anther large purchase for a carrier.....

So I finally picked one: The pikkolo.......and I love it!!!!........and I bought it from QuirkyBaby.com an awesome website!!! The owner was sending me emails on a sunday night from her phone helping me figure out which one to pick!!!

vahnessuh
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Pikkolo! It's a Mei Tai with buckles so it's easier than tying. I replied to you on another thread but basically what I said is that the Pikkolo is great because you can custom fit it to your body. I'm shorter than you but it never bothered me. If you sell your Ergo, you can use the fund to get the Pikkolo... or find a used one? Hard to find one though... maybe some stores out there still carry the older version?

alirebco
09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Wait, do you not use the Ergo? It is a SSC! We have a Calyx for back carriers and I love it with my almost 21 month old. Great for grocery shopping or making dinner if he is having a velcro day.

newg
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Wait, do you not use the Ergo? It is a SSC! We have a Calyx for back carriers and I love it with my almost 21 month old. Great for grocery shopping or making dinner if he is having a velcro day.

We use it.....but DH likes it a lot more than I do......

I'm 5'5'' and it just doesn't fit me very well........I feel very overwhelmed by it.......so I really want to find something that is similar, but on a smaller scale so I can use it on more of a daily basis.....

okinawama
09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I have used the Beco with my son since he was two weeks and love it, (however I have no experience with carrying a toddler). At 6months we mainly do back carries with it, it's simple to put on and distributes the weight wonderfully!

alirebco
09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
We use it.....but DH likes it a lot more than I do......

I'm 5'5'' and it just doesn't fit me very well........I feel very overwhelmed by it.......so I really want to find something that is similar, but on a smaller scale so I can use it on more of a daily basis.....

Ah gotcha, how about the Beco? Check out this chart.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

JacksMommy
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Both the Beco and the Pikkolo are slimmer than ERGO, but only somewhat. I certainly have carriers who prefer them to the ERGO as they are less bulky, but they function much the same way. I personally don't love the Beco for older kids because I find their feet get caught up in the safety harness, but it's great if you feel unsafe putting your child on your back.

A mei tai definitely feels sleeker on, if you don't mind the knot-tying. The price point is lower, too!

newg
09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Ah gotcha, how about the Beco? Check out this chart.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

awesome chart..............thank you!!!

I think I am going to try and find a local baby wearing group so I can try out the becco and pikkolo before I decide to buy!

vahnessuh
09-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Don't let the Pikkolo scare you though =) You can get used to it pretty fast and once you do, you'll love it.

newg
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Any great deals out there for the Becco, Pikkolo or even a Mei Tie??

hellokitty
09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Any great deals out there for the Becco, Pikkolo or even a Mei Tie??

Go to www.thebabywearer.com (you need to register, but they do not spam you), and you can find very gently used carriers, it's addicting!