PDA

View Full Version : Exergen Thermometer $23.99 at Costco.com

maybeebaby08
09-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I have this thermometer and love it and it's an extra $5 off right now on Costco.com
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10038059&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|48022|48057&N=4013915&Mo=38&pos=11&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48057&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5397-Cat48022&topnav=

liz
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I too have this thermometer, and love it! It is a great price (I paid 38$ at Walmart a few years ago).

Babymakes3
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I have been waiting for it to go on sale and this is a good price! Walmart has it on their site for $28 but its outta stock. I am trying to hunt down a friend or family member who will let me use their membership # online to order it! I haven't found anyone who belongs yet though!

BargainMomforLuke
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.exergen.com/medical/PDFs/walgreensTAT2000trifold.pdf

Ours has been dropped too many times, so I need a new one. Thanks OP!

ETA: They might not do another $5 since it's a manf. discount, but it would be worth a try. The only bummer is shipping is $7.66.

maybeebaby08
09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I have been waiting for it to go on sale and this is a good price! Walmart has it on their site for $28 but its outta stock. I am trying to hunt down a friend or family member who will let me use their membership # online to order it! I haven't found anyone who belongs yet though!

You can buy it if you're not a member, they just add a surcharge. I just went throught the checkout and the surcharge is $1.45. So it's 34.xx for it shipped.

I was in Target last night and saw it for 34.99, so maybe if you did that too and then added the $5 rebate it would work out better. It was in the aisle with the Childrens Motrin/Tylenol.

Shipping is steep, I would call Costco too to see if they are running the same $5 off because last year they did that's how I got my 2nd one.

Twoboos
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I also just found it on Amazon for $36.xx w/free ship. (Best part is Amazon said the orig price is $99.... um, yah right.)

justlearning
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
We have this same thermometer and also LOVE it! I've taken it many times with me when DS has been in the hospital with a fever and serious infection to keep track of his temp between the nurse's regularly scheduled visits into the room. So I've had the opportunity to check its accuracy--it's always been very accurate with their hospital thermometers, which costs hundreds of dollars.

When it was critical for us to know DS's temp because it affected what happened with his care, we went out and bought 4 different thermometers--this one was the winner by far!

DrSally
09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I've been meaning to get this since it was recommended here. Anyone know if they carry it in store?

maybeebaby08
09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I've been meaning to get this since it was recommended here. Anyone know if they carry it in store?

They carry it at all the Costco's near me

WatchingThemGrow
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
hmmm...any healthcare providers here? Are these good? I asked a friend who is a NP and she said the regular digital ones - rectal for little ones or under the tongue for older are really more accurate. All I know is that my Thermoscan gives a different reading every time.

maybeebaby08
09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
hmmm...any healthcare providers here? Are these good? I asked a friend who is a NP and she said the regular digital ones - rectal for little ones or under the tongue for older are really more accurate. All I know is that my Thermoscan gives a different reading every time.

I used to work for a Pediatric Cardiologist and she used this one that's how I found out about it. DD is 16 months and at this stage would never let me get a rectal read and wouldn't keep a oral in her month or under her arm so I really like it. Mine has never been different by more then a little bit like 100.8 or 100.6.

aliciamt7
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
We got this thermometer at Costco in store several months ago. It was around this price then too, plus we applied for the rebate and got the additional $5 back. We love this thermometer!

DrSally
09-22-2009, 10:37 PM
They carry it at all the Costco's near me

I'll have to look next time. I really can't get an accurate under tounge read from DS at this point.

nabigus
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Just chiming in: Best. Thermometer. Ever. Ds is sick now, and it's *so* easy to get a quick read.

BabyMine
09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't forget it is FSA eligible.

kdiffily
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Just ordered (I'm a non-member) - they apply the $5 at checkout. It was $35.09 shipped. My 16 mo. DD is on her 10th ear infection in a year right now, and it would be SO nice not to have to take a rectal read each (of the many!) times I take her temp. Hope it works!

Subtotal: $28.99
Shipping & Handling: $7.66
Non-Member Surcharge: $1.45
Tax: $1.99
Less Coupon(s): ( $5.00)
Order Total: $35.09

WatchingThemGrow
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
It is $28.xx at Sam's btw.

liz
09-24-2009, 09:00 AM
any healthcare providers here?
I use the exergen temperal thermometer on a daily basis at work. They have held up very well (0f course these would be the professional model), and it convinced me to buy them for my kids. As PP's mentioned, it's so convenient to take temps when the kids are sleeping, just to make sure their fevers subsided. They never woke up. Of course, when they were really little, we went with the oral/rectal digital route. I think pediatricians prefer that way over temperal when babies are so young. When my little guys got to toddlerhood, the oral/rectal route was too traumatic for all of us, LOL, so that's when I sprung for the exergen. I've had it for a few years, and it works perfectly. HTH.

lcarlson90
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I just picked this thermometer up this morning at my local Costco. It was $23.99. I was really excited because I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I am not sure I love it. Both of my kids are sick and I have tried it multiple times and it gives me a different reading every time.

nrp
09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I just picked this thermometer up this morning at my local Costco. It was $23.99. I was really excited because I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I am not sure I love it. Both of my kids are sick and I have tried it multiple times and it gives me a different reading every time.

I have the same problem. Maybe I just have a dud, but I've never really trusted it because I can't get consistent readings.

justlearning
09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I have the same problem. Maybe I just have a dud, but I've never really trusted it because I can't get consistent readings.

For two years, I've basically been somewhat of a "nurse" for my son, who's gone through cancer treatments. Fevers are very important to track for him because they're sign of an infection and can be very serious, etc.

Here's the method I've followed when using this Exergen thermometer--I take three readings back to back and then look at that as a range. Then I won't take his temperature again for at least 15 minutes (usually waiting longer than that) because otherwise it can start to make the thermometer wacky.

I usually get a different reading each time, but they're close--for example, 99.7, 99,9, and 100. I look at the first reading (almost always the lowest) as it's getting warmed up then, so I trust the second or last reading the most.

The technique that I learned from a nurse is to put the thermometer on the center of the forehead, then swipe it across the brow, and stopping it at the top of the ear.

Even though you may not like seeing different readings each time like the example I gave above, you'd be surprised to see that the same thing would happen with a professional one at a doctor's office. Like I said in a previous post, I've taken his thermometer with me to many doctor's and hospital visits, and it's very close to the readings they get.

If you're getting really different readings (e.g., 99.1, 100.2, etc.), then I do think it's a lemon. Hope this helps!

DrSally
09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
For two years, I've basically been somewhat of a "nurse" for my son, who's gone through cancer treatments. Fevers are very important to track for him because they're sign of an infection and can be very serious, etc.

Here's the method I've followed when using this Exergen thermometer--I take three readings back to back and then look at that as a range. Then I won't take his temperature again for at least 15 minutes (usually waiting longer than that) because otherwise it can start to make the thermometer wacky.

I usually get a different reading each time, but they're close--for example, 99.7, 99,9, and 100. I look at the first reading (almost always the lowest) as it's getting warmed up then, so I trust the second or last reading the most.

The technique that I learned from a nurse is to put the thermometer on the center of the forehead, then swipe it across the brow, and stopping it at the top of the ear.

Even though you may not like seeing different readings each time like the example I gave above, you'd be surprised to see that the same thing would happen with a professional one at a doctor's office. Like I said in a previous post, I've taken his thermometer with me to many doctor's and hospital visits, and it's very close to the readings they get.

If you're getting really different readings (e.g., 99.1, 100.2, etc.), then I do think it's a lemon. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the tips on taking readings. I was just going to post to ask for tips. I read the customer reviews, and one said that it was inaccurate above 102 degrees? It was only one review, but that's scary. Has anyone found this to be the case?

JElaineB
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the tips on taking readings. I was just going to post to ask for tips. I read the customer reviews, and one said that it was inaccurate above 102 degrees? It was only one review, but that's scary. Has anyone found this to be the case?

DS had a high fever once (104 I think) and we took him and the Exergen to the emergency room. While waiting there I kept checking every so often (we waited at least an hour I think) and when the fever went up to 105 I went up to the nurses station. They checked him and he was also 105 on their thermometer and we got seen right away.

nrp
09-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Mine must be a lemon then! I get things like 97 then 100.8 then 99.6. Occasionally I can ascribe it to not good skin contact, but other times it looks like good swipes. I think mine may end up in the trash.

DrSally
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
DS had a high fever once (104 I think) and we took him and the Exergen to the emergency room. While waiting there I kept checking every so often (we waited at least an hour I think) and when the fever went up to 105 I went up to the nurses station. They checked him and he was also 105 on their thermometer and we got seen right away.

Scary. Good for you for going up to the nurses station when it hit 105. I wouldn't be happy about waiting for an hour at 104.

justlearning
09-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Once, when DS had a very serious infection, his temperature shot up to 106.2! I had my thermometer with me that day at the hospital and I was the one who caught that his temperature had skyrocketed. It registered the same on theirs, so for us it was definitely still accurate at high temps.

justlearning
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Mine must be a lemon then! I get things like 97 then 100.8 then 99.6. Occasionally I can ascribe it to not good skin contact, but other times it looks like good swipes. I think mine may end up in the trash.

Try it again but only do it three times within a half-hour time period, no more.

Make sure that the thermometer doesn't leave the skin but also don't take too long doing the swipe--do it quickly. Disregard the first swipe (that one always does run low), but then see how close the last two are.

If you continue to have unreliable readings, take it back to Costco and get another one. We tried about four other thermometers that were terrible and returned them without problems to Costco and Sams Club.

DrSally
09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Try it again but only do it three times within a half-hour time period, no more.

Make sure that the thermometer doesn't leave the skin but also don't take too long doing the swipe--do it quickly. Disregard the first swipe (that one always does run low), but then see how close the last two are.

If you continue to have unreliable readings, take it back to Costco and get another one. We tried about four other thermometers that were terrible and returned them without problems to Costco and Sams Club.

106.2! Good thing you caught that. So, do you mean that you had to go through 4 Exergen thermometers? I rarely use a thermometer b/c the kids are hardly ever sick. I would want it to work though when I need it.

justlearning
09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
106.2! Good thing you caught that. So, do you mean that you had to go through 4 Exergen thermometers? I rarely use a thermometer b/c the kids are hardly ever sick. I would want it to work though when I need it.

Oh, no, didn't mean to imply that. The ones that didn't work well were different brands, not the Exergen thermometer. When DS was diagnosed, my mom went out and bought different thermometers, wanting to try them out to see which worked best. The Exergen was the one we kept and the only one we've used for 2 years (the same original one). We returned the rest because they weren't reliable.

DrSally
09-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Gottcha. I read it as 4 different types of thermometers at first, but then wondered if you meant 4 exergens. Thanks for clearing that up!

Globetrotter
09-25-2009, 05:33 AM
I was also having a lot of trouble with inconsistent readings, to the point that I was going to return it to Costco!! We just stuck to our simple digital thermometer because it was too much trouble figuring this out.

Is there a benefit to using this one over a digital, other than convenience?

conniez
09-26-2009, 02:53 AM
It seems like this thermometer is pretty popular on the boards, but I was also worried about its accuracy as I had read before that forehead thermometers weren't very accurate. It seems like most doctors' offices use digital thermometers that take a reading through the ear, but I keep forgetting to ask DD's pediatrician what brand they use/recommend!

panjabear
09-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I bought one last year, and I think it has been fine. My doctor's office uses the same one, and I think mine is reliable.

BabyMine
09-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Every hospital DS1 has been to used the professional Exergen thermometer. I kept getting different readings until I took it to my Ped. and she told me how to do it the correct way. Since then I haven't had any problems.

justlearning
09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
It seems like this thermometer is pretty popular on the boards, but I was also worried about its accuracy as I had read before that forehead thermometers weren't very accurate. It seems like most doctors' offices use digital thermometers that take a reading through the ear, but I keep forgetting to ask DD's pediatrician what brand they use/recommend!

FWIW, yesterday DS had a 103 temperature (as measured by our forehead Exergen thermometer). We took him to the clinic, where they used an ear thermometer and got the same reading.