PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay for quality used furniture?

twinbabies
09-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Hello-

I am new to the baby-world, expecting twins and trying to buy the best quality things I can find out there...but not pay retail. I have decided that despite recommendations I am willing to buy used nursery furniture if it is in great condition.

While searching my local craigslist I recently found what seems like a good opportunity to buy a complete set of Morigeau-Lepine furniture from someone who had twins themselves.... However, the prices seem awfully high and I was hoping someone out there who has purchased similar furniture might be able to advise whether this person is trying to take advantage of me or whether these prices seem reasonable. I know it's a high-end brand, which is what I want, but I don't know if it is true that these pieces are worth as much as is being asked for them considering that I am buying them used.

Here are the details:

The set is Morigeau Lepine – 1900 Series, 3.5 years old, in a green apple/wheat finish. She claims that the following were purchased for $6000 (does that seem like it could be true... has anyone here purchased a similar set new for themselves?) and that she would like $1750 for everything described below:

2 cribs - model # 791 and the “discreet drawer” #101.

2 sealy high-end mattresses (I may end up buying new mattresses anyway, but these are included with the cribs)

1 glider - model # 1900 and ottoman - model #1300

1 dresser/combo model # 1917 and hutch that goes on top model # 1953.

If you think she is asking too much, how much would you offer for this set, assuming it is in great condition....

Thanks so much for your help!

mskitty
09-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Hello-

I am new to the baby-world, expecting twins and trying to buy the best quality things I can find out there...but not pay retail. I have decided that despite recommendations I am willing to buy used nursery furniture if it is in great condition.

While searching my local craigslist I recently found what seems like a good opportunity to buy a complete set of Morigeau-Lepine furniture from someone who had twins themselves.... However, the prices seem awfully high and I was hoping someone out there who has purchased similar furniture might be able to advise whether this person is trying to take advantage of me or whether these prices seem reasonable. I know it's a high-end brand, which is what I want, but I don't know if it is true that these pieces are worth as much as is being asked for them considering that I am buying them used.

Here are the details:

The set is Morigeau Lepine – 1900 Series, 3.5 years old, in a green apple/wheat finish. She claims that the following were purchased for $6000 (does that seem like it could be true... has anyone here purchased a similar set new for themselves?) and that she would like $1750 for everything described below:

2 cribs - model # 791 and the “discreet drawer” #101.

2 sealy high-end mattresses (I may end up buying new mattresses anyway, but these are included with the cribs)

1 glider - model # 1900 and ottoman - model #1300

1 dresser/combo model # 1917 and hutch that goes on top model # 1953.

If you think she is asking too much, how much would you offer for this set, assuming it is in great condition....

Thanks so much for your help!

Look at your local Craigslist to see what similar items have been listed for in the past couple of weeks. I don't know what Morigeau goes for. Generally people who want to sell higher end list cribs for $250-$300 and gliders for $100-150 here. I would think $1000-$1250 would be reasonable but I tend to like good deals. You can always make an offer and see what happens...

mskitty

kozachka
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I was recently looking to buy a high end twin bed for DS and liked Young America furniture, which is top of the line for youth furniture. I've noticed that people asked for the used YA furniture about 50% of what I could have got them for new at the store. Granted I found a great small store that gave me a very good discount (40-50% off retail or more) but considering the price also included delivery and installation, I decided to buy new.

Also, I think it is worth considering how much time you have before twins arrival and how often you've seen similar deals on Craigslist. I was also told that YA convertible crib is around $400 new at the place where I bought twin bed, wish I considered it when I shopped for cribs.

k_null81
09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I bought gently used Ragazzi furniture off of craigslist for my boys. The furniture is about 9 years old I believe and I paid 700 maybe 800 for 1 crib (no mattress) you should buy new mattresses, an armoire, and a changing table. And I recently found a matching crib made by the same manufacture for $150.

Morigeau is expensive furniture and what she is offering is a lot more then what I got plus it's a lot newer. I don't think she really paid 6000 for it but I would guess around 3,500-4,000 based on my own search for good high quality used furniture.

If it were me I would see if she is willing to take 1500. It can't hurt. And if she says no and you really really like the furniture and you have the money I would jump on it. I came across a Pali set I really liked and by the time I reacted she pulled the listing and she wouldn't reply to my email when I told her I would pay her asking price....and the part that really got me is she listed the furniture again months later after I had already bought another set. Oh and for reference the Pali listing was for 1 crib, changing table with hutch for 1,100 or it may have been 1,300.

I think the set sounds really nice and it sounds like something I would have bought for sure! I love painted furniture!

Good Luck!

amcgowan2007
09-26-2009, 08:10 PM
The best way to know if you are getting a deal on used furniture is to find out how much that piece would sell for brand new right now. You should be able to find those prices online with a few simple google searches. If you don't do homework, you do risk being taken advantage of.

That said, I would never pay more than 50% of full retail for used furniture. And even then, I usually shoot for about 75% off. Used furniture is totally great (and I will be buying used) but you have to keep in mind that the mechanisms might be worn down (drop-side cribs, rocker/gliders) so they won't function as great as if they were brand new.

And there were probably be nicks and maybe teething marks. None of these things bother me, but thats why folks selling used items can't expect to get more than 50% retail, its just unrealistic!

I'm typing this sitting in my Dutalier glider bought at a garage sale for $80, standard retail is $500. The cushions do look a little bit worn, but I sure love it and it will surely last a few more years :D

BeachBum
09-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Well if you want matching cribs, that will be so much harder to find than just one crib with the rest of the matching pieces.
Also, do you want a single glider? I'm a twin mom and I have a chair and a half glider I wouldn't trade.

kozachka
09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I think 50% of MSRP is too much for used furniture, I can get that or almost that much of a discount (typically 40% off) by shopping around. Case in point is my most recent purchase - twin bed for DS by Young America. It has a MSRP of $1299, sells online for ~$1,000. I paid for it ~$600 plus tax including delivery and installation. It is from a local store so if anything goes wrong I know they will help me resolve the issue with the manufacturer as I've seen them do it for others.