PDA

View Full Version : Safety 1st Avenue - tips and tricks

jgenie
09-23-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm heading out to buy a Safety 1st Avenue to use as our travel seat for planes and cars. DS is 20 months and about 18 lbs. Is this still a good choice for a travel seat? I'm thinking of installing it in our main car so he can get used to it before our trip. Please send any tips or tricks that you have for making the install easier. TIA

niccig
09-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I have the Uptown, the earlier version of the Avenue.

RF, you need a rolled up towel. I used to throw one in the exterior pocket of our suitcase so easy to get out. You might have to play with the recline angle to make sure you can access the harness adjuster - it can get jammed into the vehicle seat and be more difficult to reach.

RF or FF - you want to pull the cover back so you can see the belt path. Then push down on the seat and tighten the seatbelt or Latch strap with your hand in the belt path. By doing this you are pulling the belt horizontally to tighten it. Works every single time in multiple cars to get a rock solid, I can move the car before move the car seat kind of install.

If you put your hand at the buckle of the seatbelt or where the Latch connector is, you're pulling the seatbelt/latch strap vertically beside the seat - and I can NEVER get it nice and tight that way. So, don't do it this way.

Love the seat. DS is nearly 5 and about to be too tall for it, he's short for his age, so we're passing it on to MIL. I will miss it. Best travel seat.

christiedavid3
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
:yeahthat: We have an Uptown also for Grandma's car and really like it. I took this advice for tightening the LATCH belt and it works beautifully! Great lightweight, inexpensive travel seat.