PDA

View Full Version : Potty Taining almost 5 year old (nites only)

ddk123
09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Ok... so we messed up and now we have 4.5 year old who wets bed... at 3, we were having new baby and so just as he was starting to wake up each nite to tell us he had to pee, we told him to go back to peeing in pull up (this was two weeks before new baby came). Now ever since, he sleeps straight thru night and never wakes up. WHat can we do to potty train at night now? We have tried no drinks after 6 and waking him up to go, but he is sound asleep. HELP!

brittone2
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Some kids just don't have the physiological maturity. Both of mine woke up dry from age 2 on, but we did absolutely *nothing* to make this happen (they each had their own individual potty learning challenges outside of staying dry at night though!). They were just physiologically able to hold it all night. In fact, both were doing that before they potty learned during the day I'd say.

If you are limiting evening fluids and encouraging pottying before bed, I'm not sure there is a ton you can do. Some kids just don't feel that sensation while they are sleeping...I don't know that you can do much about it. Make it easy for them to get to the bathroom (potty in room? Nightlight to make it easy to get to the bathroom?) if they wake, but if they aren't waking up and noticing the sensation of having to go, I don't know that there is much you can do until they mature physiologically.

There are some other mamas with kids who are still not dry at night on their own and hopefully they can give you some tips/reassurance.