PDA

View Full Version : Radian80 vs XT

PAfirsttimemom
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Can someone please explain the differences between these seats? I've been thinking of buying this seat for use in our secondary car (an old Honda Civic--1998) and for travel (we have a Disney trip coming up in Dec.). Kohls is having a sale + 30% off. The 80 comes to around $172. The XT comes to around $187. (Both quotes include a $7.50 shipping surcharge.) These seem like good prices. Are they?

The XT is not the new one that I'm reading rearfaces to 45 pounds. I think I'm ok with that, especially since this seat will not be used full-time. Which one would you ladies get? Right now we have a Cosco Scenera and a Snugride in the Civic. DS1 is age 3.5, and DS2 is 1. I'm even toying with the idea of getting two Radians, because wouldn't that be a lot safer seat than the Scenera? This car has no side air bags. Should I feel bad or worried about putting the 3.5 yr old in a Radian and the 1 yr old in the Scenera?

arivecchi
09-23-2009, 04:48 PM
The XT has headwings which offer side impact protection. For that price difference, I'd get the XT. That is a much better seat than the Scenera. I like the Scenera as a travel/secondary seat, but I would not use it as a primary seat. The sale is a good one, so you could get 2. Diapers.com has them on sale too and they have an addtional 10% off coupon on their home page. They have one day shipping and free returns. Check it out.

jjordan
09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Those are terrific prices. (I am sooo tempted to get an XT but there is no way I can justify it.) I agree with pp that, with those prices, I'd go for the XT.

In your shoes I would almost definitely get two (if you can swing it financially). The Scenera is technically "safe" since it does pass the same tests as all seats in the US, but I personally would be more comfortable with my baby riding in a seat that has EPS foam.

Also, according to Sunshine Kids (http://carseatblog.com/?p=4146), they will be making available a harness kit that can be used to retrofit an older Radian (DOM 9/08 - 8/09) so that it can RF to 45#. So you will have that option in the future if you decide the extra 5# RF is important.

arivecchi
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I just found out that you can get the brand new XT SL (RF to 45 #) for $229. See my post on the subject.