PDA

View Full Version : RideSafer vest in Canada

KrisM
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Can the vest be used in Canada if I am visiting there? I know I've read that they're pretty picky over there :).

Joolsplus2
09-24-2009, 08:47 AM
As long as you're a 'visitor', I think you can. I know a couple of Canadians who own them, not sure if they use them when not on vacation much, though.

KrisM
09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
As long as you're a 'visitor', I think you can. I know a couple of Canadians who own them, not sure if they use them when not on vacation much, though.

Thanks. My friend wants to borrow it for her 2 year old when they fly in to visit her mom for a weekend. She's both a US and Candian citizen, but would be a US one if asked :). I'll just let her know I'm not positive and she can decide based on that.

mikeys_mom
09-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I think it also depends where in Canada she is travelling to with regards to how picky they are. In Ontario I have never seen any carseat check stops, but have heard of them in other provinces.

KrisM
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I think it also depends where in Canada she is travelling to with regards to how picky they are. In Ontario I have never seen any carseat check stops, but have heard of them in other provinces.

She'll be in Ottawa.

mikeys_mom
09-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Based on the information here (scroll to the section at the bottom)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/safety-test.shtml#exemptions

if she is driving her own with a non-Ontario plate, it is ok. Not sure how it works if you are driving a rental car with a carseat that does not have a Cdn approved sticker even if the seat is technically approved here.

"You may use a child car seat or booster seat from your home jurisdiction if travelling in a vehicle registered in another jurisdiction. If driving an Ontario-plated vehicle, you must use a seat that fully complies with Ontario’s child car seat laws."

I don't spend a ton of time in Ottawa to know if they actually do car seat checks there.

If she wants to be 100% sure, she can call here;

"Technical information about child safety seats or seat belts is also available by contacting ServiceOntario toll free at 1-800-268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929), fax: 905-704-2426."

HTH

KrisM
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Based on the information here (scroll to the section at the bottom)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/safety-test.shtml#exemptions

if she is driving her own with a non-Ontario plate, it is ok. Not sure how it works if you are driving a rental car with a carseat that does not have a Cdn approved sticker even if the seat is technically approved here.

"You may use a child car seat or booster seat from your home jurisdiction if travelling in a vehicle registered in another jurisdiction. If driving an Ontario-plated vehicle, you must use a seat that fully complies with Ontario’s child car seat laws."

I don't spend a ton of time in Ottawa to know if they actually do car seat checks there.

If she wants to be 100% sure, she can call here;

"Technical information about child safety seats or seat belts is also available by contacting ServiceOntario toll free at 1-800-268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929), fax: 905-704-2426."

HTH

Thanks for the link and number. I'll have her call. She'll probably be in her mom's vehicle, so an Ontario plate. But, for just a weekend, she'll probably just chance it.