PDA

View Full Version : What do you use on Greyhound-type buses?

language_buddy
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
We need to take a bus during an upcoming vacation to get from one city to another, ie, the bus will be traveling on the highway. I don't think most buses have seatbelts so I'm really not sure what to do. A car seat isn't even an option, considering it's a sightseeing tour and we won't be able to leave things on the bus (we get dropped off and ride a different bus home).

We'll also need to travel by taxi (short rides) - for the taxis, I thought about using one of those travel vests but I'm afraid the little guy won't fit into them yet (he's about 20lbs.). He's outgrown the infant car seat so that's not an option to take on our trip and we can't really lug the convertible seat onto the bus or into taxis because we'll be sightseeing. I don't really want to haul the convertible seat around while we're playing tourists.

Any others out there who've dealt with these issues?

deenass
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
What about a Sit and Stroll - it's a carseat that can be used as a stroller. I think One Step Ahead carries them.

KrisM
09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you know anyone with a bigger infant seat? Did he outgrow it by height? How old is he?

The vest start at 35lbs, IIRC, so that won't work.

language_buddy
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
He's about 6 months and he outgrew the seat by height (the top of the strap was well below his shoulders). And we'll be gone about 3 weeks... I'll check out the sit and stroll. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
An infant seat is outgrown when the head is within an inch of the top of the seat or the weight limit is reached.
Just FYI (since the shoulders are supposed to be above the slots, it doesn't matter how much down below they are :)).

o_mom
09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Before investing in a Sit N Stroll, I would look at getting a Graco Snugride32/SafeSeat1 and a Snap N Go or Snugrider type stroller frame. You can use the SR32 on the bus/taxi and then pop it on the stroller frame when you get out. It should fit any 20 lb 6 mo with room to spare. You can try one at BRU to see.

Here's some SafeSeats (aka Snugride32) for $99 or less:
http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1-8a15nct-nectar.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1-8a15lga-laguna-green.html

Snap n Gos or Snugrider stroller frames are around $60-80:
http://www.walmart.com/Graco-Snugride-Seat-Stroller-Frame/ip/4433210

The $160 could be somewhat offset by selling them after you are done, but even so, the cost is less than a Sit N Stroll and you get a better seat and stroller as well.

language_buddy
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Jools - I like what I'm hearing! Are you saying he could still fit into his infant seat? Something I read said they've outgrown the seat once their shoulders are above the top hole/shoulder straps. If that's not true, then we're totally fine because his infant seat snaps into his Quinny Zapp (which is intended to be our travel stroller anyway) - that was the original plan until we started freaking out about him not fitting into his darn seat.

o_mom
09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, as long as he is not over the weight limit (may be a concern if you have a 22 lb seat) and there is at least an inch of hard shell above the top of his head you can still use the infant seat. If he has outgrown your current seat, a larger infant seat, like the SafeSeat/Snugride32 would be an option.

Joolsplus2
09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Ah...that's for forward-facing only seats. THOSE are outgrown when the shoulders are above the top slots :) Check that infant seat again... you may have a little more time in it... and don't feed him before your trip, lol (just kidding, the top limit is probably 22 pounds on your seat, and kids do slow their gaining a lot when they start rolling and crawling).

language_buddy
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Yay, thanks!! I now feel *much* less crazed trying to sort out the whole car seat thing with only a few days before our trip. Fantastic. I think he's right around 20lbs so that should be good - I can't imagine he's put on 4 lbs in 1 month :)