PDA

View Full Version : What does the newest BBB say.....

newg
09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
about the Becco Butterfly II and the Pikkolo............?? I have the seventh edition and it briefly mentions the Becco and a bit about Mei Ties but that's it.......

I am totally on the fence about which to get!!

I love that the Becco has the extra insert to help with back carries................but I love love love that the Pikkolo can have the baby face in or out while doing a front carry.............

If you have Pikkolo how often have you used the 'facing out' position while doing a front carry??

TIA!!!:wavey:

aajamu
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I have owned both. I tried Pikkolo for "forward facing out" carrying and found it less comfortable than forward facing in. My DS #2 (unlike my first DS) HATED facing out. He was all about being snuggled in when he was an infant. As he grew older I started carrying him on my back (around 7 months old) in a Beco Butterfly II. SUPER easy to do, you just put the baby in the carrier and slide him on. I hated the Butterfly II for front carries, though.

The Pikkolo was bulky and two short for my tall baby. I ended up buying a Connecta, which is similar to a Pikkolo, but lighter weight and taller - harder to face out in a Connecta, but again, facing out was not something DS (or I) wanted.

They are both well made carriers though.

vahnessuh
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
When my daughter was younger, we used facing out ALL the time. The only time we face her in is when she wants to nap. Now that she's bigger, we mostly use facing in but my hubby stills faces her out sometimes. We don't use the carrier as often anymore though since she prefers to walk.

smudgiebaby
09-25-2009, 04:59 PM
I am in the same situation! Heard so much about the beco and leaning towards it because I've heard you can face them out! My baby currently loves that with my bjorn air but it is killing me ya'll! What to do??

krocodile
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Love, love my pikkolo, it's really nice to have the options... I've used the facing out quite a bit and even though it isn't as comfortable as facing in, it really isn't bad. I also used it facing in a lot and it's nice because it does have a shorter body so baby can look around easily and their view isn't blocked.

I had a beco for awhile but didn't like it (other than the pretty pattern) and sold it. I felt like it was really awkward to put on and adjust. I have heard people say the pikkolo is complicated also but I didn't feel that way at all. Also, the beco isn't made to face out, the book (don't remember the edition) had it wrong...

But everyone is different so if you don't have a store or babywearing meeting near you to try both of them (which I didn't) try ordering from somewhere that has a really good return policy!

vahnessuh
09-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Oh, I just noticed my post didn't specify that I have the Pikkolo. The Beco doesn't do forward facing.

JacksMommy
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Forward facing is never as comfy as other carries, it just isn't as ergonomic. Most people stop using that carry around 6-8 months, once their child is comfy in a hip or back carry.

Like pp said, Beco can't do forward-facing carries. It' s a great carrier, though!

BayGirl2
10-06-2009, 01:10 AM
I just got a Pikkolo and like it a lot. DS must be worn every wear and loves to face out. We were carrying him in a kangaroo carry in a pouch sling but he's getting too long and I'm becoming too crooked. Now he wants to face out in the Pikkolo, unless he's really tired and falls asleep immediately facing in.

Facing out the center of gravity is further from your body so it does put more stress on you back. Hopefully his preferences will change as he gets older, but for now, its good to have the option. For now, he's only 13 pounds so I expect to use it facing out for many more months.

BayGirl2
10-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Another point - the major difference between the Beco and Pikkolo is the insert in the Beco. People love it or hate it. So if you haven't tried them both already, you may want to.