PDA

View Full Version : Radian 65 vs Radian XT SL

arivecchi
09-24-2009, 10:00 PM
So I received a 5/2009 Radian 65 today which I bought for $170 from diapers.com (so I can turn DS1 RFing). I have a BMW X5 and it only fits in the center with the center lap shoulder belt. Fits great with the Blvd. and I have now gained a full seat in the back seat (the Frontier and the Blvd occuppied the whole seat). DS1 is about 32 pounds (w/out clothes and shoes), so I assume I would have 8 more pounds RFing in the Radian 65. Should I keep the 65 or return it and wait for the Radian XT SL that I ordered for $229 from babycatalog.com? That one is estimated to ship in mid to late October and we have 2 roadtrips involving highway travel before then.

Since I will only be able to use a Radian RFing in the center position, do I need the headwings of the XT? Or should I just get the XT given the price difference? I assume the XT and the 65 have the same size shell. Once DS1 outgrows the Radian, I will pass it on to DS2 who will also use it RFing to the limit and then FFing.

jjordan
09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I would probably keep the 65. Reason 1, as you said, the headwings of the XT aren't going to be a big deal in the center. Reason 2, ds1 seems to be a light weight, and the 40# RF limit will likely take him to at least age 4 RF. (For comparison, my average-sized daughter was about 30-31 pounds at 2.5 and reached the 35# RF limit in her seats at 3 years 4 months.) Reason 3, so you don't have to wait so long for the seat!

Joolsplus2
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm perfectly content with my 'wingless' Radian...it's still got a rigid shell and deep sides and EPS foam and will be fine in a side impact, IMO (when we're talking boosters later? I'm a stickler for massive headwings...)

Does your ds like sitting backwards? :D

arivecchi
09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Thank you both. I decided to go through with the extra expense because DS1 loves riding rear facing again. Also, as I had mentioned in other posts, we do some weekend trips to visit my in-laws in another state and we have had a couple of instances where we have been almost rear ended after traffic comes to a sudden stop on the highway and DS1's head has flown forward in his Frontier (since he has been asleep). I should clarify that the Radian only fits in the center RFing. I'm sure it fits fine outboard FFing. My plan is to have DS1 use the Radian until he hits the RFing weight limit. I will then move him to a Frontier/something similar and move DS2 from the Blvd to the Radian RFing once he hits the Blvd's RFing limit (or could be earlier I guess). In any event, the Radian may eventually be used FFing by DS2 if it has not expired? I cannot calculate the exact timing of it all. DS1 is 32 pounds right now at almost 3 yrs and 40 inches tall (he was 30# at his 2 yr checkup). DS2 is 8 months and about 22 pounds last time we checked. The Radian 65 has a 5/2009 DOM while the Blvd has a 3/2007 DOM.

Joolsplus2
09-25-2009, 10:35 AM
You can get one of these next when you have to put your kiddo FF... http://firstseat.com/
:)

arivecchi
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
You can get one of these next when you have to put your kiddo FF... http://firstseat.com/
:) Wow! That looks cool!

Sorry for being lazy, but what are the expiration dates for Blvds and Radians? 6 years?

Joolsplus2
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Britaxes are 6 years, and I think Radians are 8 (mine was 7, it's old, or I could be confused, mine might have been 8, and now it's 7, lol, either way, you can use it till your baby outgrows it by height, it won't expire before that happens :))

arivecchi
09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Update: I just weighed DS1. He weighed 35 pounds with his shoes and clothes on. Does it make sense to keep the Radian 65 given that fact?

jjordan
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Hmmm... so, ds1 is 35# at 3 years old, and he was 30# at 2 years old. Since kids *tend* to grow less from 3 to 4 than they did from 2 to 3, I'd say you probably have at least a year left for him to RF in the Radian 65. So I guess the question is, will you be happy getting him to 4 years old RF or will you, at that point, wish that you had gone for the extra 5#? I don't know that there are exact statistics comparing RF to FF for 4 year olds, but I do know that the differences are less pronouced as a child gets older.

Joolsplus2
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Leah's only gained 2 pounds, max, since last year from age 'almost three to almost 4'...I think my other kids were the same way, it's like they really do only gain 2 pounds a year for a few years there. So yeah, will you be willing to go FF in 12-24 months when he's 40?

arivecchi
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks ladies. I think I am just going to wait for the XT SL so I don't have to sweat it. That way, I can also use it FF outboard if I need to in the future without worrying about it right? I agree with you though, I bet he won't hit 40# before he is 4. DS2 is a different story though. He is gaining weight way quicker than DS2, so he may need the Radian soon. :hysterical: