PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for keeping 17 month old in high chair?

american_mama
09-25-2009, 12:33 AM
DS is 17 months old and loves wriggling out of the harness on his high chair and stroller. Any ideas of what to do, different high chairs that will keep him in? Both are frustrating, but getting out of the high chair is making dinner a real pain. He can get out no matter how tight we make it, a combination of him being Houdini and a poorly designed harness. I'd shell out the money for a Stokke fancy schmancy Kinderzeat if I thought it would buy us another 8-12 months of him sitting well for eating.

DH thinks he wants to sit at the table with us rather than alongisde it, a foot or so away. I think maybe; mostly, I think DS just wants to climb. His favorite thing is to stand up in his high chair, leaning against the seatback (which only goes halfway up his back, so we worry about him making the chair top-heavy and tipping it.)

ahrimie
09-25-2009, 12:43 AM
I have the Stokke but my DD also likes to get out before dinner is actually over too. Lately, she likes to try and sit in MY chair too. I think it's the age (DD is 16 months) but since I have the Stokke and love it, I'm also a bit biased. I think your DS may want to sit at the table with you at this point. For the most part, my DD is pretty good at sitting in her chair until she's full (whether or not I'm full is a different story) and I don't use the harness.

But I think most of what you are describing is developmental. How about *not* harnessing him and ignoring him (until it becomes too unsafe and you think he really will tip over)? Maybe not the best suggestion but it's cheaper than buying a new seat :)

katydid1971
09-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Duct Tape!?!?!?!

clc053103
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
We had the PP primo pappa and the tray went on so solidly that there was really little chance to wiggle out. However, I do agree it may just be a phase and he could go back to liking the high chair. My DS was fine in the high chair but I moved him to a tripp trapp around 2 yr 4 mo. Since then, he has gone back and forth between the TT and a regular chair, depending on his mood. We don't make a big deal b/c we can usually casually convince him to get back in the TT in a few days- like, after he continually dumps food on himself b/c he's too low at the table.