PDA

View Full Version : Point me in the right direction, please

bw52
09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
I've just decided that I'm going to buy some sort of carrier. LO is 10 weeks and I can't ever set her down, b/c she ALWAYS wants to be held! Can someone point me in the right direction of which ones would be best? And what I should take into consideration when looking at options? Or just tell me what to buy! (j/k!)

Background: she's 10 weeks and lately has been wanting to be held facing out--although she's still little, so she doesn't have very good head control to be like that forever. She likes to look around a lot. I'm a SAHM and will prob only use this at home (although who knows?). When she gets tired she likes to be cuddled--in burp position or cradle position depending on her mood. Also, carriers seem like they would get really hot. Is this true? Are some better helping stay cool? We'll be indoors, but still, I don't want to be all sweaty with it on if I can avoid it. One other consideration: I'm bf and have been having a lot of problems and am always in TONS of pain! I'm scared a carrier will make this pain worse. Hopefully, the pain goes away, but I'm not sure that's going to happen, so I need something that's not going to aggravate it more.

As a side note, dh wants one of these to use for hiking (short hikes), but would one work for both or would we need 2 different types? He won't need it for at least a few months, so she will be bigger by then.

Thanks so much!

ahrimie
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
For that age, I loved the Moby Wrap. It's basically a huge piece of fabric you wrap around yourself and then you insert the baby. For home, it's PERFECT. I even used it during the early winter months with my DD to go on walks. It can get warm if you use it during the summer--but in my experience, ANY carrier will get hot. You can use this carrier multiple ways too (face in/out/sideways).

For your DH and for you later, I'd highly recommend the Ergo. My DD is 16 months and we still use it. You can't have them face out with this carrier but my DD doesn't miss it at all (we used to use the Bjorn so she's faced out before). And since she's bigger now, we do the back carry. It's very comfortable and both my DH and I love it. He's literally nearly double my weight--very stalky--and both of us can wear it comfortably!

arivecchi
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
For small babies, I liked my Baby Bjorn Active. As soon as they start getting heavy, I move them to the Ergo.

vahnessuh
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I ditto on the Baby Bjorn. There's a Baby Bjorn Air which is made of mesh material so it should be cooler. It's perfect for younger babies.

As for when she's bigger, I know the other posters recommend the Ergo... but if your baby likes to face out a lot (like mine did), there's no reason to deprive her of that. The Pikkolo does everything the Ergo can AND have the baby face out. My daughter loved being carried that way so she can see everything going on and socialize with other people. She's currently 17 months and while she prefers mostly to walk rather than sit in her stroller or be carried, when she gets too much for us, we throw her in the carrier. My husband still puts her facing out since she's only 22 lbs and she still loves it =)

Jennifer626
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I have the Bjorn Air and have been really happy with it. I am also buying an Ergo in the next week or so, now that my DD is almost 6 months old.

Indianamom2
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I have been using the Chicco Ultrasoft (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585641#)front carrier with my 3+ month old. He weighs somewhere between 12.5 and 14 lbs (haven't checked him lately) and I find it very comfy and easy to carry him. I've only used it a few times, but each time was 2+ hours and it didn't bother my back at all. He seems quite comfy in it.

I was a bit concerned because it doesn't have the highest ratings or lumbar support, but I honestly like mine a lot and think it's pretty comfy for an older infant. My little guy likes to be upright though (not cradle hold or lying down). We haven't tried it facing out yet, but I think he could even now. My only complaint is that it's a little hard to get him in/out of, but they all are, IMO.

Best part is that it's cheap...especially with a BRU coupon. If you don't like it, you're not out a lot of money.

Christina

hellbennt
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
devoted babywearer here:waving4:
I say go for the moby, try a hotsling pouch and for dh an ergo or patapum is the way to go...

where do you live? you can meet local babywearers and try their (fun!) stashes (collections) and meet others, too:)
www.thebabywearer.com/forum has a forum called 'Babywearers Near You':)

firsttimemama
10-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I have friends who do not like patapum

I would say
early on: moby (a friend worried about heat chose a Bali Breeze gauze wrap), hotsling, babyhawk mei tai

then:
ergo
beco
maybe pikkolo (I say maybe because I'm intrigued by the facing out but have never tried a pikkolo and don't know anyone who owns one)

bigpassport
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I wanted to like the Moby Wrap but it was so hot and cumbersome to put on that I never loved it like I wanted to. DS wasn't a big fan either, but did like facing out in the Moby more than facing in. You might want to look at the Baby K'Tan. It kind of has the same feel as a Moby but easier to put on and a lot less fabric. If I had it to do again, I would have gotten a Baby K'Tan instead of the Moby.

I now have a Pikkolo. DS (4.5 mos) is happy facing out in the Pikkolo as long as we are walking around...not sitting. Only drawback to the Pikkolo so far is that the sueded canvas fabric between his legs was a little too stiff against his bare legs, but now we are starting to wear pants more it seems to work better.