PDA

View Full Version : So if get H1N1, are you protected?

Nooknookmom
09-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Aaaaaaaah! With all the new info floating around, I am SO confused.

Ok, if a person gets H1N1 will they be protected for the fall "flu" season from getting it again?

I am **very** sure DH & DD just had is a week apart. DH had a 103 fever, chills, aches, a HORRID cough (but no vomiting). DD had a fever, body aches, vomiting and diarreah. The worst symptom? A super-intense headache. She missed 3 days of school & I found DH sitting in a warm tub of water after work one day "shivering", he never does that, ever.

I am starting to feel icky, and inhaling vitamin C and other vita's. I really don't want this nor do I want our 2 yo to get it. If we do, then are we all "covered" now???

Oy, flu - stinks.

kayte
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
The CDC is saying that unless you have your flu confirmed by real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction test (RT-PCR ) as H1N1, then not to consider yourself as carrying the antibodies. And are recommending that everyone in their vaccine target who doesn't have a test confirmed case to be vaccinated. In their eyes vaccinating an already immune person is better than a person thinking they are immune when they might not be.

(FIL is an immunologist)

ETA_-- here is the exact verbiage of the rec if you are interested (from http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/clinicians_qa.htm)

Will the 2009 H1N1 vaccine be recommended for patients who had influenza-like illness since spring 2009?
All persons in a recommended vaccination target group who did not have 2009 H1N1 virus infection confirmed by real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR ) should be vaccinated with the 2009 H1N1 vaccine. However, most people ill with an influenza-like illness (ILI) since this spring have not had testing with the RT-PCR test, which is the only test that can confirm infection specifically with the 2009 H1N1 virus. Tests such as rapid antigen detection assays, and diagnoses based on symptoms alone without RT-PCR testing, cannot specifically determine if a person has 2009 H1N1 influenza. Persons who were not tested, but who became ill after being exposed to a person with lab confirmed 2009 H1N1 influenza should not assume that they also had 2009 H1N1 since many pathogens can cause an ILI, and should get the vaccine if they are in a recommended vaccination target group.

Persons who think they had 2009 H1N1 infection diagnosed by RT-PCR should ask their doctor if they should be vaccinated. Someone who was infected with the 2009 H1N1 virus and who is not severely immune compromised will likely have some immunity to subsequent infection with 2009 H1N1 virus. However, vaccination of a person with some existing immunity to the 2009 H1N1 virus will not be harmful and persons who are uncertain about how they were diagnosed should get the 2009 H1N1 vaccine. Additionally, persons recommended for seasonal vaccine should get a seasonal vaccine because infection with the 2009 H1N1 virus does not provide protection against seasonal influenza viruses.

wendibird22
09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Even if you have had H1N1 and have immunity to it, you could still contract the seasonal flu, which is different.

kayte
09-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Even if you have had H1N1 and have immunity to it, you could still contract the seasonal flu, which is different.

And a different vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine does not protect from the regular flu.

I thought the OP was strictly asking about H1N1.

Nooknookmom
09-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Yes I was talking about H1N1. I feel like a freight train is hitting ME now, if it doesn't go away I will get tested. Thx!

Sillygirl
09-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Even if you get tested for flu, it's unlikely they will send it for H1N1 typing. There just isn't enough lab space to handle it. If you look at the CDC website, you'll see that in most parts of the country, about 20% of the samples are testing positive for flu. That means that people show up at their doctors, they think they have the flu, the doctor sends the flu screen (again, just to confirm influenza, not H1N1) and only 20% of the time is it flu. The rest of the time they're sick with some other virus, or food poisoning, or whatever.

Bottom line, you're not going to know if you got H1N1. If you test positive for having flu with a rapid screen, it's about 98% likely this season that it IS H1N1. But since you won't know for sure, the recommendation is still to get the vaccine.

Nooknookmom
09-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Even if you get tested for flu, it's unlikely they will send it for H1N1 typing. There just isn't enough lab space to handle it. If you look at the CDC website, you'll see that in most parts of the country, about 20% of the samples are testing positive for flu. That means that people show up at their doctors, they think they have the flu, the doctor sends the flu screen (again, just to confirm influenza, not H1N1) and only 20% of the time is it flu. The rest of the time they're sick with some other virus, or food poisoning, or whatever.

Bottom line, you're not going to know if you got H1N1. If you test positive for having flu with a rapid screen, it's about 98% likely this season that it IS H1N1. But since you won't know for sure, the recommendation is still to get the vaccine.

Ew, not what I wanted to hear. Mainly b/c I am leery of the new vaccine. I still feel nasty today, we'll have to see which way the vax pendulum swings at our house.

Thank you all!