PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Canadian vs American car set

3blackcats
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
DD, is really close to outgrowing her SnugRide. I need to purchase a seat for my parents to use the few times a year that we visit home in Ontario and to leave in my parents vehicle for when they visit us here in VA. My DD would be the only grandchild to use this seat for the next little while.

My question to you is:
Do I find a Canadian seat which I know car seats in Canada are super expensive?
Do I find a brand that is available in both Canada and the US? And buy in the US to save $$
Or do I buy a good second seat that is only available in the US?
They are coming down to stay for a week, so if I order an American car set, they can use it while they are here and then take it home.

I know that Canada has laws that in Canadian cars there must be Canadian seats.

WWYD?

bubbaray
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Your parents live in Canada and have a Canadian licensed vehicle? Technically, they must have a Canadian car seat. Here in BC, I have heard from other techs that US seats are being seized from Canadians/Canadian cars at the border.

Your parents can use a Canadian seat in a Canadian registered car while visiting the US. They could also use a Canadian seat in a US rental car while visiting the US. But, legally, they could not use a US seat in a Canadian car when in Canada.

Personally, I'd buy a Canadian Scenara (around $70Cdn at Walmart) and call it a day.

3blackcats
09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Personally, I'd buy a Canadian Scenara (around $70Cdn at Walmart) and call it a day.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!