PDA

View Full Version : Who is more in shape in your family- your or dp?

SnuggleBuggles
09-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I've been watching "The Biggest Loser" and thinking about weight discrepancies in families. In most of those cases the heavier person may be a whole lot heavier but the spouse back home isn't usually in really great shape either. In my social circle people are pretty even with their partners in terms of fitness.

Dh and I are pretty darned even...both have about 5lbs we'd like to lose but we both really like to work out.

How about you and your dp? Even? Significant differences?

Beth

smilequeen
09-26-2009, 11:23 AM
My DH is naturally thin and he almost never exercises. I have 15-20 lbs to lose and I am naturally on the heavier side of normal. However, I am in FAR better shape than he is. I work out hard almost every day. We are pretty even in height and right now, with a little baby weight left I probably outweigh him by 5 lbs or so (I REALLY REALLY hate that).

LarsMal
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
We're pretty even right now. We've been together 9 years and there have been times when one of us was in better shape than the other, but nothing significant. Well, except the time he ran a marathon and I can barely run a mile!

I have some bad body issues, so what I want to lose and what I need to lose are very different. I guess that's what 15 years of standing in front of a mirror in a ballet studio will do to you! I would like to lose about 15-20 pounds and DH would like to lose about 20-25 pounds. We would both like to increase our activity level/exercise routines.

ellies mom
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
We are probably pretty even. We tend to trend together, so when I gain weight he gains weight, if I lose it, he loses it. When one of us is in good shape, the other is too.

Neither of us are overweight. But I'd like to lose about 5-10 pounds. He could probably stand to lose 10-15. But unfortunately, we aren't in as good shape as I'd like. I haven't been able to fit regular exercise into my schedule for several different reasons (the biggest being nursing school) and I can really tell if I end up parking in the far lot and have to trudge up that hill to class. It is embarassing really.

wellyes
09-26-2009, 12:07 PM
We're a mismatch. I need to lose 50 pounds and am far too sedentary (joined a gym this week though !) DH plays league hockey, goes to the gym 4x/week for pilates and cardio and strength training. And looks good naked :D.

I was in better shape when we met (10+ years ago), but was still overweight and not physically active. But to be completely honest, if we weren't married and just met today, I would think he was out of my league.

new_mommy25
09-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Right now DH is the in shape one as he works out every other day. I squeeze in a work out whenever I can but it's not at the top of my priorities at the moment. However, body shape wise, we are about the same since I am naturally thin and DH's work out keeps him from gaining weight.

lizzywednesday
09-26-2009, 01:05 PM
We're both overweight. I could stand to lose about 50lbs (current weight is around 210-216) and he could stand to lose a bit more than that, IMO, but he has not shared his current weight with me. My concern for his weight is that he carries his weight around his middle, which (according to recent studies) increases his risk of heart disease and diabetes.

The thing that really stinks right now is, because I'm pregnant, I can't do anything crazy, although I like to think that I am generally more fit than my DH.

Part of our problem is our sedentary lifestyle and the other part of our problem is DH's unhealthy relationship to food. He's also prone to ignoring portion sizes everywhere and eating things that will give him tummy trouble while at work, so he comes home feeling ill and this affects our dinner foods and timing. (Plus, the reflux that's a result of the poor eating tends to keep him awake at night, thereby keeping ME awake because the sound of his belching sounds like vomiting, which is one of my severe weak spots.)

I'm starting to eat differently now that the super-sweet and deep-fried foods I admittedly enjoy are nauseating me when I do eat them, so I eat fewer of them and resist buying them when we're in the grocery store. You may think this refers only to cookies, ice cream and french fries, but it also includes corn chips, potato chips (which I don't like much anyway, except salt & vinegar chips) and lots of processed foods. I've found that I am especially sensitive to high fructose corn syrup, which is in practically every processed food you buy, so reducing the amount of processed foods we consume, I've been able to successfully avoid it ... and, in so doing, avoid getting sick to my stomach. (Incidentally, ice cream is fine so long as it's sweetened with regular sugar ... and I don't eat more than the 1/2-cup serving listed on the carton. Gone are the days of curling up on the couch with a pint of 'Chubby Hubby' and watching 'House' reruns while shoveling the mess into my gullet - for this I am thankful.)

Currently, my daytime meals are generally meat-free because the cafeteria at work has a wide variety of non-meat options for lunch and a well-stocked salad bar and my evening meal usually has some sort of meat-based element, usually steak, but often chicken. I'm keeping a decent calorie count in my head of what I'm consuming daily (I am trying to keep to a 2300 calorie-per-day intake) ... while the DH will need a clearer plan.

We have access to a nutritionist at the hospital where I plan to deliver our LO in March, so we are hoping to revamp our together-time meals by arranging a meeting with them soon.

mecawa
09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I am much more in shape then DH. Since having DD2, I have about 5lbs. I'm trying to lose, but he (who use to be soooo fit) needs to lose about 20lbs right now. He hates to exercise now, where he use to love it. I think his struggle is more about finding the time. He has an hour and a half to two hour commute both ways and spends a good portion of the week out of town completely (traveling).

maestramommy
09-26-2009, 02:29 PM
definitely my dh. he has a naturally high metabolism, but he bike commutes to work (6 miles each way), runs 2-3 times a week. high bp and stroke runs on his dad"s side so he doesn't take good health for granted.

i need to lose 15 more lbs to get back to pre dora weight.

WitMom
09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd say we're pretty even. My husband is on the thinner side of normal and I'm on the heavier side of normal, but I think that's due as much to genetics as to our physical fitness. We both typically work out 5 times per week....he can run farther than me, but I could kick his rear when it comes to kickboxing lol.

StantonHyde
09-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I have always been in better shape than DH--I run all the time. I need to lose about 10 lbs, DH needs to lose at least that, maybe 20. We both used to be thinner, pre-kids. DH used to hit the gym a few times a week, now he exercises maybe once a week and his eating habits are not good. I have been on WW for a long time and eat very healthy compared to DH.

citymama
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm naturally skinny - find it hard to gain weight (for now, anyway). DH has a tendency to put on weight but is tall so it doesn't really show. He could probably stand to lose 5-10 lbs. That said, he is in better shape than me because he exercises more. Being skinny doesn't mean you're in good shape, and being overweight doesn't mean you're out of shape! (I have a friend who runs 25 miles a week who would be considered very overweight, but she kicks my butt on the trail.)

kijip
09-26-2009, 06:24 PM
I am over my ideal weight but actively losing it and getting quite fit again. My husband is at a good weight for him but arguably less fit/active. He is perfectly height weight proportionate and bikes to work about 1/2 the time (other times he rides the bus or gets a ride). But he needs to start working out more to avoid the metabolism slow down a lot of slender men have after they turn 35 or so and then you have a skinny man with a gut, LOL. He just turned 30. If he eats junk food he gets a tummyache but gains nothing. If I eat junk, I will gain weight.

BeachBum
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
We don't look mismatched, but DH is in much better shape. I don't work out, ever. But I'm not overweight...just soft. DH jogs several times per week and lifts weights when he can.
He used to be in excellent shape, but cut out most of his workouts to make more family time.

bubbaray
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
We're reasonably fit. We used to train for marathons together (though he is faster than me, unfortunately) and I trained with him for most of his Ironman training.

Since having kids, though, we have both become rather sedentary. We are both at a reasonably slim healthy weight. We are not fit by "our" standards, but are FAR fitter than the average person on the street.

pb&j
09-26-2009, 09:02 PM
We both used to be in great shape. LOTS of hiking. These days, I'm definitely in better shape - I run and/or work out a few times per week (plus chasing after a preschooler and very mobile baby). DH barely exercises at all - it's like pulling teeth to get him to even walk around the block with me and the kids. And yet, he's still sporting his pre-baby physique, while I am not. There is no justice in the world.

So, he probably looks better, but I'm in better shape. FTR, I am at my goal weight, but things have definitely redistributed since I had kids. I still think we look like we "match," but I'd be happier if I could get rid of my belly flab.

Corie
09-26-2009, 09:17 PM
My husband looks great! He looks just like he did when we met.

I look almost the same as when we met. I do have a few extra pounds
to lose but that's what happens when you eat donuts at 10pm. :)

elephantmeg
09-26-2009, 09:43 PM
we prob have pretty similar BMI's but I work out and he doesn't. sigh

awoodm
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
DH and I were both very athletic pre-kids. Now, not so much. We are done having kids(for a while anyways) and are both determined to get back in shape. We work ridiculous, opposite schedules, and have become quite sedentary without the other one around to motivate. But, no more! I would say I have about 15-20 lbs to lose to get to pre-DS1 status. And, DH has quite a bit of sympathy weight tha the has put on. So, I would say to answer your question, we match and both could stand to lose several pounds.