PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly with the snugride base?

AZMama
09-26-2009, 03:09 PM
I plan to bring the base for the Graco snugride. Would you suggest gate checking it or bring it on the place attached with the car seat (if I get a seat for the baby that is...)

o_mom
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
I would check the base with luggage and not even carry it to the gate. Less to carry through the airport. The airplane install is super easy with the Snugride and the base may make it harder to fit in the seat.

kijip
09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I'd leave the base at home and just use the seat alone.

bubbaray
09-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I too would leave it at home and only travel with the seat itself.

AshleyAnn
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd leave the base at home and just use the seat alone.

I too would leave it at home and only travel with the seat itself.

I would do this only if you are VERY comfortable installing it without the base. It is a much easier to install with the base than without it especially if its in a car you're unfamilar with.

As for the plane - I'd pack the base in my suitcase and install it without the base.

Piglet
09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I would do this only if you are VERY comfortable installing it without the base. It is a much easier to install with the base than without it especially if its in a car you're unfamilar with.

As for the plane - I'd pack the base in my suitcase and install it without the base.

I actually find installing the base as hard if not harder than installing without the base. Obviously once the base is installed the click in seat is a piece of cake, but if I was installing it once in a while I would leave the base at home too. I have flown all over the world with a Snugride and the only time I couldn't get a good install was in an Israeli cab that didn't have locking seatbelts, but the base would only have helped if it had lockoffs like the SS bases. Carrying the base from cab to cab was unrealistic in any event.

kijip
09-27-2009, 01:10 AM

Actually I think it is harder to install the base of the SnugRide in most cars than the seat alone. The Snug Ride base does not have a built in locking clip and in many cars, the base will tip to the side without the use of a locking clip. Most people don't know how to use a locking clip. I guess most rentals have LATCH but dragging around the base is a PITA and does not make for a safer or easier install.

o_mom
09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I actually find installing the base as hard if not harder than installing without the base. Obviously once the base is installed the click in seat is a piece of cake, but if I was installing it once in a while I would leave the base at home too. I have flown all over the world with a Snugride and the only time I couldn't get a good install was in an Israeli cab that didn't have locking seatbelts, but the base would only have helped if it had lockoffs like the SS bases. Carrying the base from cab to cab was unrealistic in any event.

Actually I think it is harder to install the base of the SnugRide in most cars than the seat alone. The Snug Ride base does not have a built in locking clip and in many cars, the base will tip to the side without the use of a locking clip. Most people don't know how to use a locking clip. I guess most rentals have LATCH but dragging around the base is a PITA and does not make for a safer or easier install.

The OP actually didn't specify if it was a Snugride22 or 32 - the 32 has the built in lockoff.

It does depend on what kind of travel they are doing. If it is for use on a plane and 1-2 cab rides, then not taking the base makes sense. If it is a week long vacation in a rental car and daily trips, then it might be easier to just take the base. Putting it in checked luggage doesn't really take much effort. We put ours in a suitcase and packed clothes around it, but we were in the second situation where I didn't want to be installing it daily without the base.

mom2binsd
09-27-2009, 11:22 AM
When I traveled home with DD who was 4 months I was using a rental car and going to be visiting lots of folks during a 10 day stay, in and out of the car, often DD fell asleep when I was driving around, it's soooo much easier not to have to install the seat each time. I put my base in a duffle bag and surrounded it with clothing.

It really depends on what you're doing on the trip, like others said, cab rides etc not so convenient, but if the seat will be used in one car it sure makes it easier.

At the time it didn't even count as a luggage, although I had a 2 bag allowance for myself and DD (she had her own seat), but that was back in 2003 before they charged you to pee in the lavatory!!!

codex57
09-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd do it without the base too.

The base, unless you have LATCH, is not that easy to install. I've done the seat by itself on vacation. To me, it's worth it to not take the seat thru the airport (not to keen on it being handled by the baggage carriers). Yeah, it can be sort of a pain to have to reinstall it all the time, but it's worth it to me.