PDA

View Full Version : Breast Implants Q

bluestarfish18
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Totally random question: I'm not planning in getting any, but I am curious about sleeping with them. I'm dead-set against sleeping in any position other than my stomach. How would that affect someone with implants? Would they hurt like engorgement? And would that constant pressure cause them to "pop"?

Just wondering!

AJP
09-26-2009, 05:47 PM
I Don't believe they would "hurt" but maybe be a bit uncomfortable, or strange/wierd feeling (for lack of a better word). Not that I know or anything. ;) I was told that it is ok to sleep however you like, and there are pretty slim chances that something you do day to day (aside from maybe wrestling?) would cause a rupture. HTH

lizzywednesday
09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
There are plenty of sites with great info on implants out online that can answer your question better than I could ... and the only reason I know about this is because I started to research implants years ago.

Being a back-sleeper myself (except lately; have to side-sleep because the itty-bitty-baby-bump presses on my guts & that keeps me up at night) sleep positioning isn't an issue for me ... but the need to replace implants every few years is kind of a problem.

During my research, because my boobs sag anyway, I learned that most surgeons would like to do a lift in addition to the implant. Unfortunately, the type of lift they recommended would bar the way for breastfeeding ... and I hadn't had kids yet. Breastfeeding my children is important to me, so it looks like I'll be postponing any breast surgery until AFTER we're done with kids!

hardysmom
09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I have silicone implants for reconstruction.

Sleeping is weird at first, but you get used to them pretty quickly. That said, because I had a mastectomy, I don't have any feeling on my breasts. Not sure how that works for "normal" fake boobs. My guess is that they would have more feeling so it wouldn't be as weird, as long.

You can't rupture them by sleeping on them. In fact, to prevent them from hardening, people are often told to massage them very firmly. Every night, I lay face down on my wood floor and use my body weight to push them around for 5 minutes. It helps. I don't worry about anything popping.

Sometimes you hear about a saline implant deflating. Usually it is when they are really old. The saline is absorbed so the implant just sort of collapses.

They also have new silicone implants called "Cohesive Gels" or "Gummys". They don't rupture. If you cut one in half, the gel just stays together, like in a gummy bear. The trade-off is that most people say they are harder and don't feel natural.

Hope that helps.

Stephanie