PDA

View Full Version : KitchenAid appliance feedback? Other recs?

JTsMom
09-26-2009, 06:34 PM
We're currently shopping for a new side by side fridge, dishwasher and an under cabinet (not range) microwave. It's really hard to do research on them though, as it seems almost every one has some sort of complaint about it.
We have a vintage O'Keefe and Merritt stove that we are putting in, and I really like the way KitchenAid appliances look with it, and they seem to get pretty decent reviews from what I've found, but Whirlpool Gold is also a contender.

Here are the front runners for now:
KitchenAid KSRG25FVMS Fridge
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8907/8907846_sa.jpg

Dishwasher
KitchenAid KUD540
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9308/9308885_sa.jpg

TonFirst
09-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Lori, I know that Kitchenaid appliances (the big ones, not the small ones like the mixers) are manufactured by Whirlpool, so if your esearch their Whirlpool counterparts you'll probably get a good idea of the quality. My mom just put in a bit (>36") KitchenAid fridge when she did her kitchen reno and she loves it.

Also - you are seriously remiss if you don't check out ApplianceMart here in ATL. It is worth the drive. And my lord, I have lust in my heart for your stove!

arivecchi
09-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a Kitchen Aid SS side by side fridge. Awesome. No problems so far.

denvergal
09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
is that the dishwasher with the power wash or turbo wash function (can't remember what it's called) but if it is we have that one and we LOVE it! we've only had it about 3 months so far but it's been working great for us. the installer told us it was very popular and that they don't get sent back. he told us that the kitchen aids and the bosch dishwashers are the best (bosch first, kitchen aid second). we went with kitchen aid because i can't stand the condensation dry style of the european dishwashers--i need heated dry! as a side note, avoid electrolux. i have two friends who hate their electrolux dishwashers because they don't have enough power.

TonFirst
09-26-2009, 11:20 PM
as a side note, avoid electrolux. i have two friends who hate their electrolux dishwashers because they don't have enough power.

Oh, my Electrolux has plenty of power - so much so that when an intake pipe sprang a leak after I set it to run and then left the house for a few hours, I came back to a flooded basement. One $10,000 insurance claim and refinished oak hardwood hardwoods later, I still have that freaking Electrolux, but I never, ever let it run unattended.

zag95
09-27-2009, 04:53 AM
We just had a KitchenAid dishwasher installed- prior to that we had a Kenmore Elite- which the motor had been replaced on right before the warrenty went out! It sounded like rocks were washing with the dishes!

Our new Kitchen Aid dishwasher is quiet- and wonderful. Totally worth the money- we got an no payments for 12 mos option from Sears-

Ours is white- with the handleless - it has the buttons on the front- the handle would have blocked our drawers that pull in front- but that stainless one you showed looks really nice!

galvjen
09-27-2009, 06:08 AM
We moved to a house with a stainless kitchenaid dishwasher. It's been just fine. No issues with it so far. Dishes come out clean every time.
Jen

JTsMom
09-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Wonderful! Thanks guys. :)

Also - you are seriously remiss if you don't check out ApplianceMart here in ATL. It is worth the drive. And my lord, I have lust in my heart for your stove!

Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out. You always have the best advice for me. I keep meaning to tell you that we love music class!

And you're welcome to come over and spend some alone time with the stove whenever you want. You may have to drag DH away from it first though. LOL It was his mom's stove, and we had it restored and will be shipping it in from California. And adding a propane tank b/c it's gas, and our community is electric. And converting the stove from gas to propane. And re-configuring all of the cabinets so it can have ventilation. And paying even more so said ventilation can be ducted for outside. :rolleye0014: It is pretty darn cool though.

KBecks
09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
You don't have to match the brand.

We have a KA fridge, we had a KA dishwashwer. Like the fridge, did not like the dishwasher. We now have a Bosch dishwasher. If you don't mind spending premium dollars, get a Miele.

KBecks
09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Check out the gardenweb appliance forums for more appliance feedback than you've ever seen!

AnnieW625
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
My grandparents have had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher for 14 years that does lots of dishes and they haven't had a problem with it.

daniele_ut
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Check out the gardenweb appliance forums for more appliance feedback than you've ever seen!

:yeahthat: My kitchen appliances are different brands based on which was the best value for the quality. We have a Whirlpool Gold SS French Door Fridge, a Whirlpool electric smooth top range and a Bosch Evolution Series 500 dishwasher. It is an awesome dishwasher.

marit
09-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I just got everything Kitchenaid for my new home (Oven, range, microwave, dishwasher and fridge), and so far I love love love it all.

I was overwhelmed with trying to research everything, so I just decided to go with kitchenaid because I liked how they look :D shallow, I know...

Good luck and enjoy your new fridge!

KHF
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
My experience with KitchenAid appliances has not been good. My mom has the refrigerator (got it with her house she built) and she HATES it. The automatic ice maker has broken twice in the first two years. It's a side by side though, so maybe different models are better quality?

I had a Kitchenaid microwave that we purchased new (in our old house) and it didn't really work well from the very beginning. Things would heat very unevenly in it. more so than other microwaves. We had to replace the door because of quality control issues. The first one we got was recalled, so they gave us another (Kitchenaid) one. Ugh. I hated that thing.

just another viewpoint.

Pretty much, I've decided that Kitchenaid makes rockin' small appliances (mixers), but they should stay out of the large appliance business. From my research on Gardenweb, that's what I've found many people believe.

codex57
09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Kitchenaids are just more expensive versions of Whirlpool ones. They're in our house, cept teh fridge cuz it matched the cabinet door pulls better than the Whirlpool Gold ones.

That said, I'm not super impressed by them. We have the little toaster oven to match, and it's also not that great.