PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a Wimpy kid books

kijip
09-26-2009, 11:20 PM
A relative just gave T 3 of these. They seem funny (I know Nancy Pearl, rock star librarian, recommends them) but I thought they were for older kids, topic wise. Thoughts? Should I take them and put them away for few years? What's the age range on these as far as content?

Piglet
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
DS1 and all his friends were obsessed with them last year (2nd grade). They all read and re-read them. I am not sure if they would have been age appropriate before that age, but that was when they were released (or thereabouts I started seeing them at Costco).

Cam&Clay
09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm a school librarian, and I find that they are most popular with 3rd graders and up. I've read them, though, and there's nothing harmful there for a younger child. He just might not get all of the humor! My 5th grader thinks they are hilarious.

And the girls love them just as much as the boys! I can't keep them on the shelves and I have about 4 copies of each title!

kijip
09-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm a school librarian, and I find that they are most popular with 3rd graders and up. I've read them, though, and there's nothing harmful there for a younger child. He just might not get all of the humor! My 5th grader thinks they are hilarious.

Thanks for your expert opinion. He seems to like what little he has read so far.

If some of it goes over his head, he can revisit them later.

We did have to define moron for him :p And admonish him that under no circumstances do you call someone a moron.

egoldber
09-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Sarah loves these! :)

Tondi G
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
My 3rd grader loved these last year. They were the first books he picked up and read all the way through quickly... as in he started one evening and finished the book the following afternoon! They have a 4th book coming out soon, Dog Days. My son is excited!

Melbel
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
DS and DD1 have really enjoyed reading these over the past couple of years (around first/second/third grade time frame). We have already pre-ordered the newest edition (Dog Days) being released on October 12. DD1 was so excited when she saw the poster at B&N and stated she wanted to buy it with her own money the first day it is released. I plan to surprise her with it instead. We definitely have rules about repeating things from the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Wimpy-Kid-Dog-Days/dp/0810983915/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254101021&sr=8-1

It is only $7.67 (45% off of list) which was better than B&N or Borders when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Asianmommy
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
My daughter liked these and read them all this summer, between 1st & 2nd grade.

trumansmom
09-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Truman is currently obsessed with these books. I read them first and thought they were funny, so I really encouraged it. However, I'm wishing we had waited a year or so. Truman apparently isn't quite mature enough to understand that the reason the lead character is so funny is because he thinks he's cool and slick when he's not. Unfortunately, Truman just thinks he's cool.

I'm encouraging nonfiction for a while! :P

lorinick
09-28-2009, 12:08 AM
My 3rd grader loved these last year. They were the first books he picked up and read all the way through quickly... as in he started one evening and finished the book the following afternoon! They have a 4th book coming out soon, Dog Days. My son is excited!

:yeahthat: It's the first books my son in the third grade loved too and now in the 4th grade can't wait for the new book either.

squimp
09-28-2009, 02:16 AM
I looked into these a little while ago for DD and they seemed fine for DD, she's a little younger than your son, but hangs with slightly older kids. She loves comics, so I thought she'd like them. I haven't gotten around to getting them for her though.

calv
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
so I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Wimpy-Kid-Jeff-Kinney/dp/0810993139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254238009&sr=8-1

@ BJ's for $9. are they sold/found cheaper anywhere else?

egoldber
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Your local library probably has about 800 copies. They are VERY popular.