PDA

View Full Version : white button down shirt recommendation?

boss1
09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I have been searching for a white button down shirt that is fitted but looks flattering (is that possible?). I want a simple buttton down shirt. Do you have any favorite brands that you can recommend? Thanks.

lizzywednesday
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I haven't worn a white button down shirt in ages, but I do have a tip from a designer, if that helps!

Carolina Herrera, who is one of my most favorite fashion designers, and a snappy dresser to boot, SWEARS by Banana Republic's button down shirts. I do not recall whether she prefers the ladies' style or the men's style for herself, but she is petite, so the ladies style may fit her more exactly than that men's.

bluestar2
09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
J Crew? They usually have down shirts, and I find their fit flattering.

ETA: They are on sale too. There are some other styles as well, so you might want to browse a bit...

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/classicshirts/PRDOVR~87699/87699.jsp

pb&j
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I've had good luck with Talbot's and Banana Republic.

let73
09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Ann Taylor Loft?
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=20079&N=1200005&pCategoryId=3359&categoryId=204&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_204&loc=LN&gridSize=sm&showAll=true&defaultColor=White&defaultSizeType=Regular

kozachka
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Brooks Brothers has a great selection of shirts. Sounds like you might like either a fitted or semi-fitted style. I like the non-iron fabric and french cuffs. Not sure if they carry white shirts but chances are they do.

niccig
10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I haven't worn a white button down shirt in ages, but I do have a tip from a designer, if that helps!

Carolina Herrera, who is one of my most favorite fashion designers, and a snappy dresser to boot, SWEARS by Banana Republic's button down shirts. I do not recall whether she prefers the ladies' style or the men's style for herself, but she is petite, so the ladies style may fit her more exactly than that men's.

:yeahthat: to Carolina Herrera. I have the Banana Republic no-iron shirts in short and long sleeve and I like how they fit, and wear - did I mention NO IRON!? Mine was crumbled from falling off hanger, so I put it in the dryer with a damp wash cloth and was able to wear it WITHOUT ironing.

boss1
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the Banana Republic No-Iron Shirt recommendation. The shirt is amazing. It is so flattering and the best thing is that I don't need to iron it! I'm definitely going to buy more colors. Thanks, again....

lizzywednesday
10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I have been searching for a white button down shirt that is fitted but looks flattering (is that possible?). I want a simple buttton down shirt. Do you have any favorite brands that you can recommend? Thanks.

BTW, whatever brand you choose, look for something with darting and/or princess seaming.

These dressmaker details help define a shape without the shirt having to be too clingy or close-fitting.

lizzywednesday
10-08-2009, 12:42 PM
:yeahthat: to Carolina Herrera. I have the Banana Republic no-iron shirts in short and long sleeve and I like how they fit, and wear - did I mention NO IRON!? Mine was crumbled from falling off hanger, so I put it in the dryer with a damp wash cloth and was able to wear it WITHOUT ironing.

I <3 Carolina Herrera. She is one classy lady:

http://www.fashion-forum.org/images/designers/carolina-herrera.jpg

Now, only if I could afford her designs .... *le sigh*