PDA

View Full Version : More b-day party etiquette ?s

bubbaray
09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
OK, so I RSVPd yes to DD#1's first party invite from school. Its at a gymnastics place (which I know of -- its legit and has a good safety record, I've considered sending her there for lessons).

Would you assume a "parent stay" party for this age group (must turn 5 by the end of December, so this child is turning 5)? There really isn't anything/anywhere for me to go, so I might as well stay, KWIM? Is it rude if I just hang out and watch?

Also, what do I do about food? DD#1 is allergic to tree nuts and carries an epi pen. I don't know these people at all (just got an invite sent home from school). So, do I go and take food (which is what I would do if it were in someone's home)??

TIA

maestramommy
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I would stay (but that's just me), but you can always call/email the parent and ask. Also, I would bring food just in case. It occured to me in your other thread that the bday cake might not be safe.

g-mama
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I would stay if I were you so that I could meet and chat with her classmates' parents. It would not be considered rude whatsoever.

Are tree nuts typically a problem with birthday cake? If I remember, the b'day party was late enough that dinner is probably not being served, right?

bubbaray
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, I've seen parents use chopped nuts/peanuts as decorations on cakes.

Yes, the party is 6pm-7:45pm. I'm assuming no dinner, possibly cake but the invite d/n say.

I couldn't figure out a way to ask about the food arrangements in the RSVP. Sigh.

I'm assuming most parents would stay -- the place isn't really close to the school

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
I agree- stay and chat with other parents. Ds1 just had his 7th b-day at a gymnastics' place and more than half of the parents stayed to watch/ chat. At 5 I wouldn't be surprised if people stayed. Pack a book in case they don't and just hang out in the waiting area.

I have seen kids bring their own food to parties before. A-ok.

Beth

Corie
09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
To answer your first question, I ALWAYS stay at the birthday parties.
My DD is almost 8 years old and I still stay. I like to keep an eye on her
and I like talking to my friends. :)

To answer your second question, I would bring a special treat for your daughter
to eat while they eat cake. I have 2 good friends who do this. They bring
a safe treat for their girls to every birthday party. It's not a big deal at all.
We have a lot of peanut/treenut allergy kids in our elementary school.

gatorsmom
09-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I would definitely stay and I know if it were me, I'd prefer the parents stay. Yes, at that age, I'd assume it. And, in your case, it certainly makes sense because of DD's allergies. As for the food issue, I"d call the hostess and talk to her about your concerns. You may end up bringing DD's food with you in which case the hostess won't be surprised to see you whip out your own cupcake! Or, who knows, maybe the hostess has a child with allergies and so can provide safe food for your DD!

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks ladies!

mytwosons
09-28-2009, 05:53 AM
I always tell the host that DS has allergies, and I will be bringing safe food for him to eat. I ask what will be served so I can match it as closely as possible. It feels odd, but everyone has been great. Some moms have even asked what candy would be safe for the goodie bag and another offered to make him a special non-candy bag.

citymama
09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I always tell the host that DS has allergies, and I will be bringing safe food for him to eat. I ask what will be served so I can match it as closely as possible. It feels odd, but everyone has been great. Some moms have even asked what candy would be safe for the goodie bag and another offered to make him a special non-candy bag.

:yeahthat: And I would definitely stay. Not just because she's not quite 5, but because she doesn't know these people well, AND has serious allergies. Please stay!