PDA

View Full Version : Anyone w/salicylate sensitivity/intolerance?

ohiomom
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I am starting to suspect this w/DD1. Horrible headache/sore throat and other symptoms 3 nights in a row after switching her to Tom's of Maine peppermint toothpaste to avoid the blue dye in her oral B (non-salicyalte-containing!!) toothpaste. More I read, the more it adds up with her very senitive skin, times of hyperactivity or massive, unexplained lethargy, etc.

Curious what extent of diet to try.

Have allergist f/u appt in about a week.

DD1 - 6 yrs
DD2 - 3 yrs

Bens Momma
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry I only have a couple minutes to reply, but we found salicylate sensitivity with both of our DCs. You might want to look into the Feingold Diet for more info and to try and figure out which foods and products to avoid. It was through this diet and process of elimination that we found out that the boys were sensitive to apples. Who would have guessed?? Salicylates of varying levels are found in many foods and products that you would never suspect. The Feingold program has made an amazing difference for our whole family.

Good Luck!

ohiomom
09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks. I have this fear the allergist will laugh me out of his office, but the more I read, the more I suspect.

Have you had to cut spices out? I know they are high on a per 100gm basis, but really, how much black pepper does one really consume in any given dish... I poo-pooed this stuff in grad school. Not any more! Another skin reaction tonight. I'm keeping a food log w/labels cut off packages, time of reaction, etc. between now and her appt. to see if that helps.