PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE called Britax Cr@p! DH put MA harness in the washer

Happy 2B mommy
09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
As a treat for being good at Costco DH bought DD a smoothie and let her drink it in the car. Needless to say, she took the cover off and spilled it. I told him the MA cover could go in the wash on cold and delicate. DH started the washer and after a few minutes I heard something clanging and looked in the washer and he put the shoulder harness in, too. I took it out immediately and rinsed it off and am letting it air dry. Is it ok to use? It wasn't in very long, but there was detergent in the washer.

UPDATE

I called Britax last week but didn't have time to post until now. CS basically said because of the very short amount of time in the washer and that I only used a mild detergent, the harness was fine to use as long as I didn't see any fraying at the stitching. I was told that handwashing the harness with mild soap or detergent and air drying very, VERY infrequently shouldn't hurt (like once a year). The dryer is a big no-no - the heat and tumbling puts a lot of stress on the stitching. For those of you who have frequently washed the harness, it's best to replace it.

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 12:00 AM
You need to replace the harness. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Happy 2B mommy
09-28-2009, 12:41 AM
You need to replace the harness. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Nope, not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I thought... Double Cr@p!

Joolsplus2
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
A few minutes? I'd be fine with that as long as there's no obvious damage to the harness...fraying or runs or bleach spots. That's me personally, Britax will probably say replace it, based on the flame retardency being compromised (the strength of the straps themselves doesn't weaken with a little agitation/suds/rinsing and laying flat to dry).

Just my two cents, of course...

:)

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with Jools.

lilye13
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
ditto here,
I have actually done it- didn't know you couldn't/shouldn't!
:O!

emily
09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I've been washing my harness too. Where do I get a replacement??? Who knew???

AshleyAnn
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Was it in the washer with regular detergent? No bleach, boasters, sprayed with any stain stuff or other cleaner? Water itself is not that dangerous its the other stuff that he may have put on it thats more 'agressive' and detrimental, not to mention when some people say they washed thier harness they mean washed in the washer, dried it in the drier, then ironed/startched it because it got twisty. Its easiest for techs to say "wash" vs. ask a hundred questions about exactly what a parent did and didn't do.

I'd let it be so long as it wasn't pretreated or washed with something stronger than normal detergent but I'd make sure DH knew its handwash only for future reference.

Joolsplus2
09-28-2009, 04:13 PM
I've been washing my harness too. Where do I get a replacement??? Who knew???
I guess you'd only know if you read the manual :wink2: You have to order new ones from the manufacturer, whoever that may be, they all have websites with part ordering info :)

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, not to belabor the point, but at page 37 of the online MA manual (the US manual), it says not to put the harness in a washing machine:

Cleaning the Harness
• SPONGE CLEAN using warm water and mild soap.
• TOWEL DRY
• DO NOT bleach, machine wash, machine dry or disassemble
the harness.

Page 37 of the Marathon manual online

I'm a-OK with a non-technical interpretation of the manual on issues where the manual is silent or worded weakly (such as a quick dunking in a dilute solution of mild detergent). In this case, however, the manual is crystal clear -- do not machine wash.

JMHO.

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Right but the manual also says not to wash the cover in the washing machine either and I did mine in the washer on the hand wash cycle, plus a spin/rinse cycle and it came out just fine.

kijip
09-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Right but the manual also says not to wash the cover in the washing machine either and I did mine in the washer on the hand wash cycle, plus a spin/rinse cycle and it came out just fine.

The the cover is not a key safety component of the seat. The cover is basically just an aesthetic/for good looks feature.

I agree with Jools that in this specific instance it is likely no harm, no foul. I'd use them myself.

But washing the straps fully and/or putting nylon strapping into the heat of the dryer is generally not a good idea. So the same logic that applies to washing dry clean only shirts or hand wash only covers does not apply here.

Happy 2B mommy
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Updated in the OP

Joolsplus2
10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the update! Glad I wasn't wrong :D