PDA

View Full Version : Scenera or CARES for 20 month old?

sarahsthreads
09-28-2009, 12:44 AM
We're headed to WDW in February, and we'll be taking the Disney transportation to the resorts from the airport and not renting a car. I was initially thinking of getting a CARES harness for the plane for DD2, but I'm not thrilled with the fact that it doesn't have a crotch strap. It seems, though, if this was a huge problem people wouldn't buy or use them, so maybe I'm over-thinking this?

But then I was thinking that as long as I was going to spend money on a travel solution, I could spend half as much on a Scenera, which seems to come highly recommended for a travel seat. But I'm not sure where we'd store it in our hotel room and it adds a bit more complexity to getting the two kids and carry-ons through the airport. Worth it, obviously, if it will keep DD2 safer on the plane.

Which would you use? FWIW, DD2 is pretty average sized - at her 12 month checkup she was almost 21 lbs and 29.5" tall.

Thanks!
Sarah :)

Joolsplus2
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Probably the Scenera, I hear the CARES is pretty useless for younger toddlers. And hey, it's a cool little chair in the hotel room, really :love-retry:

nrp
09-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree that CARES wouldn't be the best choice. We used it with DD at 2.5 and she was on the border of too young. I think it's great for older kids, but under-2 just isn't ideal.

hillview
09-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Probably the Scenera, I hear the CARES is pretty useless for younger toddlers. And hey, it's a cool little chair in the hotel room, really :love-retry:
:yeahthat:

We used it with DS when he was about 18 months and it was a disaster, he kept slipping under it. I ended up taking it off and using just the seatbelt. I LOVE the Scenera for travel at this age!
/hillary

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Not the CARES. I won't use it again. We tried it with my then almost 2.5yo in April and it was a joke, completely useless. She would just slide down the seat to get out of it b/c there is no crotch strap.

arivecchi
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Agree with PP. I just flew with my kids and had a CARES harness for my toddler. It worked ok but he was not easy to keep restrained in it. 20 months is def. too young. I also bought a Scenera for the baby and OMG, it is the best travel seat ever! So light and narrow! My toddler also used it at our destinateion and had lots of room in it and he is a tall toddler. Get the Scenera at Target where it comes in a plastic travel bag!

sarahsthreads
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks - it sounds like the Scenera is the way to go! DH will be happy that it costs less too. ;)

And we're buying something new because we've flown with DD1 and her Marathon before and it was not fun. We'd like to not repeat that experience, especially since we won't have a car at our destination!

I like the idea of using it as a little chair in the hotel room, too.

Sarah :)