PDA

View Full Version : Question:Do you bag 'em & tag 'em?

ladysoapmaker
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I was talking to a friend on how we keep track of our various children at the different function we go to. (Scouts, soccer/sporting events, re-enactment groups, park, conventions, even going to the store or mall). With four, it's gotten a little bit more complicated even with two adults. The oldest I have no worries about. He's responsible and has learned the consequences if he forgets. (I worry about what happens if he gets injured and can't speak). The youngest, I still try to keep attached but she's really wanting to be walking and has a slight communicative delay. I'm mostly concerned with the "you turn your head and the kid is gone" syndrome.

So I have a few questions if you do get separated:

Have you taught your kids your name and cell number?

Who do you tell your child who to talk to if they can't find you?

Do you tag you child, (runner's tag, dog tags, sharpie marker)?

Thanks,
Jen

deannanb
09-28-2009, 09:42 AM
if we know we are going to a crowded place or traveling we will write our cell phone numbers on the back of DH's business card and put it in DS (4) pocket.

DS (1) has just become a fast walker/runner - so I think the next outing I maybe bring along the monkey harness.

pb&j
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
DS isn't much of a runner. But, we have taught him that if he ever can't find us, to look for someone who looks like a mommy to help him find his mom or dad. He also knows that police officers and firefighters are people who can help him. He knows his full name, the name of our street and town, and DH's and my full names.

I like the idea of putting a business card with our cell numbers in his pocket.

elliput
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Since my DD has limited communication skills, she tagged with a MedicAlert bracelet. http://www.medicalert.org/Main/KidSmart.aspx

secchick
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
We have taught DD (3.5 years) our names and DH's cell phone #, but I am not confident that she knows exactly what that means. She just knows it as a number song. I will probably get the ID temporary tattoos at identitydirect.com, especially as DC#2 becomes mobile. That said, I have no qualms about using a puppy harness for DD and the only comments I have ever received (to my face) have been positive towards its use (how cute it is, etc). We are trying to teach her our address too. I also try to remember to take a picture of DD with the cell phone every time we go to the zoo/airport/etc. so that I have a pic of exactly what she is wearing.

jerigirl
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes I do. DS is a runner. I bought some of the Stuck on You bracelets and use those when we go to the zoo, the fair, the airport, etc. I also take a picture of him like the PP said. Last time we were at the airport and DS had his bracelet on, I had several people (mainly older, possible grandparents) comment on what a good idea that was. DS does know mine and DH's names and his name but not quite our ph number or addy. Even if he did though, he is still difficult to understand by others.