PDA

View Full Version : Dental Insurance for DC

bluestarfish18
09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Jack has all his baby teeth in now, and I wanted to get him started on a positive dental routine. Is it worth it to get him covered under our dental insurance? Or is it smarter to pay out of pocket? I'm assuming he doesn't have anything wrong with his teeth, just need a routine check-up.

lizzywednesday
09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Dental coverage pays for your wellness checkups, so if your DC has his baby teeth and you want to take him to the dentist, I say add him as a dependent on your plan.

It's money well-spent, just like your regular health insurance.

jess_g
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
They pay for our checkups every 6 months and just paid $2k towards my daughters braces so I would say it is worth it. You do need to find out if your childs dentist takes the dental insurace. Our company (Met Life Dental) has a prefered dentist list and they pay more if you go to a dentist on their list.

Jessica.

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Dental has always been money well spent for me. I would add him to your dental plan, it's common sense to me. DD's premium is only going to be $10 per month; well worth it in my opinion.

maestramommy
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
So far we haven't added the kids to our plan, because the premium is so high it's pretty much the cost of an annual checkup. We just take the kids in, and pay once.

o_mom
09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Like most insurance, it's either really expensive because you don't use it, or you are glad you have it if something happens. You don't know which until you get there. :)

I would call your dentist and ask for the cash price of cleaning/exam/fluoride(if you want) twice a year. Compare that to the cost of the premiums. Also think about if you have the ability to pay for additional work if needed. It can be hard to predict which kids will have decay and it isn't always related to how much brushing you do. I know several people with toddlers that needed multiple fillings or caps on baby teeth even though they brushed religiously.

When we just had DS1 going, we paid on our own, but once we had two of them it was more than the additional premium so we added them (it costs us the same to have two on the plan as it does one since it falls under 'family'). So far we haven't needed anything out of the ordinary, but with 6 exams and 4 sets of x-rays each year it would cost us more than the insurance premium.

Jen841
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
If you have a problem, then you have it. I would go for it. J fell and had some mouth trauma. I was thankful to just go to the dentist and now worry. The browned tooth is gone. Always good 'just in case'. You never know what life may give you. I will never regret the $ we spend for insurance. I do regret not going to the HIGHEST plan, life gave my son a tumor in his ear that we never expected. Third surgery will be scheduled soon.

bluestarfish18
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for views from both sides ladies. I think we will get them both insurance. Thankfully, military dental coverage is only $30 for all family members, and coverage is wonderful.

Thank you again!

doberbrat
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
depends on how much your premium is. I pay $124/yr extra to add dd to the plan. any subsequent kids will be free. I'm not sure how much a cleaning/exam is but I cant imagine its less than $50 so basically, I'm paying for the cleanings oop and getting ins in case something else happens for free.

now I did pay the premiums starting in infancy before I brought her to the dentist. but I'm ok w/that b/c my nephew fell on his face when he was 3ish and his teeth were pushed back into his gums. he had to see an oral surgeon, xrays etc so i was afraid of something happening like that.

mommylamb
09-28-2009, 12:54 PM
My DS turned 2 in June, and I'll be adding him to my dental come January during open enrollment.

kijip
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
We added our kids to our dental insurance when they were born and were added to our medical. But in our situation it is really a nominal amount- far less than the first check-up. In fact for F, it's the exact same cost for 1 child as for 17 and we were already paying for 1 so adding a second child costs nothing. Even if it were the same cost as an 2 6 month check-ups, I'd get the insurance because then you have coverage beyond the check-up should the need arise.

kijip
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I pay $124/yr extra to add dd to the plan. any subsequent kids will be free. I'm not sure how much a cleaning/exam is but I cant imagine its less than $50 so basically, I'm paying for the cleanings oop and getting ins in case something else happens for free.

Here it is over $120 for a cleaning and kids exam at the county health clinic (the cheapest place in town).

o_mom
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Here it is over $120 for a cleaning and kids exam at the county health clinic (the cheapest place in town).

Yikes! We just went last week and DS3 (2 yrs) was $60 for cleaning and exam. This is a private pediatric dentist.

kijip
09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Yikes! We just went last week and DS3 (2 yrs) was $60 for cleaning and exam. This is a private pediatric dentist.

I don't know why it is so high here but I was billed over $200 for my cleaning and exam the year I was without dental insurance (private dentist). That is what prompted me to go to the county clinic (which is run off of fees, not tax dollars though it is sliding scale for low income families, we paid the full fee). WHen someone was complaining on here awhile back about paying $700 for a root canal and crown, I was like I WISH it was $700 here!