PDA

View Full Version : Parking lot accident w/DD in car

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I was backing out of a parking space last night at a very slow speed and I nudged another car (thankfully only two smallish dents and some paint scrapes to the other car). DD was in her Marathon in the car. There was only really cosmetic damage done to my car (4 or 5" scrape of the paint), and the hard rubber/plastic top part of the bumper needs to be reglued. I am praying that the damage to my car is less than $1000 (our deductable is $500). So since DD was strapped into her seat do I need to have my insurance replace the seat? I'd really like the keep the costs of the claim to a minimum since I don't know if the $ value of the claim will push my insurance up (I am assuming it will), and the guy I hit will most likely be filing a claim too.

o_mom
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Call Britax and ask. They tend to follow the NHTSA guidelines, so they will probably say it is OK. Best to have it from the source, though.

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Well I just got off the phone with the insurance (State Farm) and they are saying that we have to replace the car seat and should not use it. We can replace it with a comparable seat (doesn't have to be another Marathon....wohoo!), and thankfully we have a Safegaurd Go that we can use in the mean time. I'll most likely get a Frontier to replace it so off to go look for Frontiers. I think that would make more sense for us vs. a BLVD or a Radian. What do you all think?

o_mom
09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Are you going to need another convertible in the future? If not, the Frontier is comparable price and you know how to use it. There is something to be said for the ease of use having the same seat in all the cars.

arivecchi
09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
How about a Radian XT SL for when you have a second child? That way you can pass that on to your second. Just planning ahead...:wink2:

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
We will hopefully need another convertable in the future:praying:, but we were planning on keeping the Corolla for a few more years (nothing beats no car payments!) so prior to this we were thinking that the SR32 which would get child 2 to 18 mos or so Rfing and not having to worry about RFing another large convertable (like a BLVD, Marathon, True Fit), but now I am thinking that maybe we'll skip the infant seat altogether (we only used DD's in the car last time and a few times at home) and get Cocorros, which would get us to at least 2/1/2 or almost 3 and then kid 2 would move to the Frontiers and DD would/should be ready for a belted high back by then (assuming we'd have a kid in the next year when DD turns 4!). Make sense?!

ETA: yes the Radian XT would be the other seat worth looking at, but I'll see what DH says, however he'll probably just say get another Frontier because DD seems to like it.

arivecchi
09-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't like infant seats, so I am all for the Cocorros or other convertible. Your scenario does make sense or you could keep your DS in the Frontier until she is ready for a seatbelt (I think Jools has an older kid in a Frontier?) and just buy nice big convertibles that can be used by your DD now and by the baby later. Tough call!

arivecchi
09-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Would she still fit FF in a Blvd? That would be another good option because they come with the infant pillow as well.

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I think she still might fit ffing in a BLVD, and maybe even rear facing, but again I think the economy side of both myself and DH is going to say just get another Frontier and worry about the new convertable once we have a second child.

Also got the first body shop quote and it was $712 so even with the cost of the new car seat we'll be under $1000 pending anything else that might be found when they take the bumper off.

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm so sorry, that must be stressful & scary -- hope you are both OK!

I would get a Frontier or Nautilus in your case. ETA: since ins. is footing the bill, I'd probably go for the FR (all other things being equal and assuming good install) b/c it has a longer expiry.

drako
09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I am surprised your insurance company said you have to have the seat replaced. My husband and I were just in a fender bender and DD was in her Britax Roundabout. We were at a yield waiting to merge onto the road and the woman behind us rear ended us. It was pretty loud, coffee in hand splattered all over me and car, and DD was crying from the noise and impact I assume. I called Britax and they said if the air bags weren't deployed, no injuries to anyone, no damage to car seat, the car was driven off the scene than it was a minor accident and need not to be replaced. There were some other criteria but can't remember them all. Britax said they follow the NHTSA guidelines. Insurance adjuster comes out tommorrow to have a look and he said the same thing about minor accidents and car seats.

AnnieW625
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I am surprised your insurance company said you have to have the seat replaced. My husband and I were just in a fender bender and DD was in her Britax Roundabout. We were at a yield waiting to merge onto the road and the woman behind us rear ended us. It was pretty loud, coffee in hand splattered all over me and car, and DD was crying from the noise and impact I assume. I called Britax and they said if the air bags weren't deployed, no injuries to anyone, no damage to car seat, the car was driven off the scene than it was a minor accident and need not to be replaced. There were some other criteria but can't remember them all. Britax said they follow the NHTSA guidelines. Insurance adjuster comes out tommorrow to have a look and he said the same thing about minor accidents and car seats.

I was a tad suprised too, but our adjuster had to tell us that even though it's one of those laws that might just go a little too far they will replace it with a similar seat. DD just gasped a little like I did and sat quietly in her seat while we looked at our cars, she didn't cry one bit. We decided that since we have to pay the $500 deductable no matter what we just decided to go ahead and get another Frontier. We will most likely give Marathon to my parents to use for us when we go there, which will probably be three or four times over the next couple of years before the seat expires in March, 2012.

We ended up getting the Frontier in Rushmore (black/grey) for $206.54 from diapers.com because the seat was on sale for $229 and there was another 10% coupon that was good through last night.

arivecchi
09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
We ended up getting the Frontier in Rushmore (black/grey) for $206.54 from diapers.com because the seat was on sale for $229 and there was another 10% coupon that was good through last night. That's a great deal! :bighand:

AnnieW625
09-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes I was quite happy I decided to check that site!

o_mom
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I was a tad suprised too, but our adjuster had to tell us that even though it's one of those laws that might just go a little too far they will replace it with a similar seat.

Totally forgot you are in CA - that makes a huge difference as I believe they have a law there that requires insurance to replace seats in an accident. Other states you have to fight sometimes.