PDA

View Full Version : bottle for reflux? formula to supplement with for suspected MSPI?

Melarina
09-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I did a similar post earlier in Kid Food but thought I'd try here as well in case I can get more feedback in the Lounge. Going to try to make it to BRU early this evening and see what I can find.

DS has reflux and we are suspecting that he has a milk protein allergy also.

I breastfeed with very occasional formula supplement. I have cut out dairy for a few days and it seems to be making a difference somewhat.

We have used the Playtex dropin nursers but he is resisting those now and seems to get sicker if he has a bottle, even with EBF.

Any recommendations on bottles that work well for refluxers?

Also, which formula is best for babies with MSPI?

Thanks so much.

jren
09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
we use dr. browns w/DS. Allimentum formula - ready-to-feed only. The rtf formula is $$$ but thicker and all he could take.

JCat
09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
WE ended up usingthe Dr Brown's bottles, and a soy based formula which he's doing well on. Our Dr told us if he still had trouble to start using the Ailimentum as well. Premade!! The powdered stuff you add water to was terrible for our baby.

jse107
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Alimentum or Nutramigen. We used the Nutramigen--it's thin and smells terrible, but after a week to ten days we saw a huge difference.

SummerBaby
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
My younger DD was MSPI (milk and soy protein intolerant). I EBF for 8 months because she couldn't tolerate any over the counter formula supplementation. I finally saw a ped gastroenterologist and he prescribed Neocate formula, which was a life saver. I wished I had had it earlier. If your DC is severely milk protein allergic/intolerant, as mine was, be aware that Nutramigen and Alimentum contain milk protein- it's just broken down. So if you're not seeing improvement with them, consider asking your ped about Neocate. We also thought DD had reflux too, but it turned out it was the MSPI causing the vomiting. Once she was on Neocate she never spit up again. Good luck!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

jse107
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Val is absolutely correct. O did fine on Nutramigen, but E was on Neocate and now only drinks rice milk. If things don't improve, please be sure to see a GI.

hellbennt
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
it's up to you...you can try to make your milk 'like' neocate. this means trying the Dr Sears TED (total elimination diet) to find out what proteins are 'offending' your baby- the most common ones are milk & soy but there are others. I did the diet. I'm glad I did.
I breastfed for 15 months.
If you want to try formula, of course go for it. just know that it might not be 'the' answer, or, that it may take a while (first trying nutrimigen, then trying neocate) to find the right answer.
it all takes time, whether it be diet (yours), formula, meds, and any combination of these.

there's a lot of info & support at infantreflux.org (see my sig)

HTH