PDA

View Full Version : JuJuBe BeAll vs. Skip*Hop Via Messenger vs. JuJuBe JJB

cv2205
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
As the title says, I'm debating which bag we should purchase for our first child, expected in a little over a month. We're looking for a diaper bag that both DH and I can carry around proudly and also, I plan to use it for school when I don't need such a diaper bag anymore. I don't particularly care for the fancy designs/patterns. So a solid, neutral colored bag will do just fine.

I've only gotten to check out the JuJuBe Be All in a store. I like the metal hardware and the changing pad's memory foam makes it so luxurious. Most of all, I LOVE the fact that it is machine washable!!! Big plus! What concerns me about the JuJuBe bags is the price!!! Are these bags really worth it?

Another question I have for those that own any of these bags, are these bags big enough to not have to DIG and SEARCH for things? Being that DH and I plan to bring baby around everywhere we go (ie. restaurants, malls, parks, family's houses, etc.), we want a bag big enough to carry everything we need for the day.

Things we plan to pack in it for an outing:
diapers
wipes
diaper cream/lotion
1-2 extra sets of clothing
blanket
burp cloth
nursing cover
1-2 bottles
toys
wallet
sunglasses
water bottle
cell phone
keys

aajamu
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure a JJB Be All or SH Via Messenger would be big enough to carry everything you listed. I didn't think the SH Via Messenger was that much bigger than the Dash, actually - lots of pockets in the Via, but not a lot of space, KWIM? The Be All wasn't as large as I was hoping for either, either.

I used to have a Lexie Barnes Superstar, which fit everything you listed. They aren't made anymore, unfortunately, but it was the best bag in terms of organization and space.

You might want to check out the Storksak Jess, too. It has serious capacity - you can fit a TON in there, and it has decent organization too. It, like JJB bags, is not cheap, but you can use it long after diaper days are over and is (mostly) DH friendly. I had one for a while but it was just too big for my needs. PPB Boxy Backpacks also fit a lot (and can be worn on the back, a huge plus) and my DH didn't mind carrying it around at all - it wasn't pink, though.

AnnieW625
10-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Also check out the Be Spicy bag, a friend of mine has it and it's huge. She has a 3 yr. old and a 1 year old and she gets a lot of use out of it. For her 1st child she had a Skip Hop and she much prefers the Ju Ju Be. http://www.ju-ju-be.com/our_products.asp?prodid=bespicy

I definitely plan to look at the Ju Ju Be bags for #2.

For #1 we had the basic black Eddie Bauer bag from BRUS and while it wasn't as stylish it was super light when full and we could get everything you listed in it. It's also great as DD's overnight bag. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401256

seedoubleyou
10-23-2009, 12:55 AM
We're looking for a diaper bag that both DH and I can carry around proudly and also, I plan to use it for school when I don't need such a diaper bag anymore. I don't particularly care for the fancy designs/patterns. So a solid, neutral colored bag will do just fine.

Skip Hop is better, only because the solid colours on all JJB bags show wear, even the black. If you don't mind prints, JJB has gender-neutrals like Sporty Stripes.

I've only gotten to check out the JuJuBe Be All in a store. I like the metal hardware and the changing pad's memory foam makes it so luxurious.

Ironically most JJB fans seem to love the flat foamless changing pads of the JJB BeLight better. Ever so often we see mothers selling NWT BeLights without the changing pad because they are keeping it. The BeLight thin pad folds up really small and can fit into the small zippered pocket in the JJB BeQuick pouch. Throw in 2-3 diapers and a wipes case and viola lots of space and money saved! Most of us new to JJB are initially drawn in because of the mem foam but it gets bulky after a while when diapers get bigger and you need to pack more stuff like portable meals, snacks, and sippy cups.

Big plus! What concerns me about the JuJuBe bags is the price!!! Are these bags really worth it?

Yes because second hands are worth quite a fair bit! Storksaks not! If price is a major concern, buy second hand from ebay, Craigs List or JJB's Pink Room.

are these bags big enough to not have to DIG and SEARCH for things?

Definitely Be All will address this concern, open the flap and everything inside is in clear view, best of all they don't fall out.

Things we plan to pack in it for an outing:
diapers
wipes
diaper cream/lotion
1-2 extra sets of clothing
blanket
burp cloth
nursing cover
1-2 bottles
toys
wallet
sunglasses
water bottle
cell phone
keys

Put blanket on baby on stroller or car seat. If you are baby wearing you don't need the blanket. Newborns till 9 mos generally don't need toys. 0-6 mos olds have poor sense of ownership they don't hold a toy for long. Instead get one of those clip on toys that can hang gracefully on the handle of the portable car seat or clip onto your sling. That should free up some unnecessary space for you so your stuff will fit into most medium sized diaper bags.

poohbear
11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
We have a skip hop via messenger and DH and I both love it... for short outings. I can fit 5 diapers, travel pack of wipes, small burp cloth, formula dispenser, two bottles, water bottle, wallet, keys, cell phone, a few toys, camera, and an extra outfit... However, if you need to bring more than that (more than one extra outfit, more food, etc, it gets tight. We also have a dadgear messenger bag which is slightly larger and great for longer outings/overnight trips. It doesn't have as many nifty pockets as the skip hop, but it's as bulky as some of the others I looked at (fleurville mothership, columbia messenger, etc). I also like the wipes case in the front of the bag.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2911097
I didn't love the JJB's. I just didn't see what all the fuss was about for the price... (I'm sure there are people that will disagree!)
HTH!