PDA

View Full Version : Car seat or booster for almost 6 year old

californiamom
09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

I have an almost 6 yo daughter whose car seat just broke. :O

I am looking for recommendations on what to buy for her now... She will be 6 in December, weighs almost 50 lbs and is very tall for her age (sorry, don't know the measurements in inches, but her pants size is 7/8 if that helps! :D)

I was between the Britax Regent and the Frontier, but before making the purchase I wanted to hear your opinions. I also heard good things about the Sunshine Kids Monterey and the First Years Compass.

Does anyone have experience/opinions about these seats? Which one would you buy if you had to?

Thank you all!!

californiamom
09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Bump!

Help, please?

codex57
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Is she long in the legs?

I'd just go with the Frontier, unless she's all torso or something. YOu can use it as a booster later, and it'll last longer cuz it's not discontinued.

bubbaray
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Have you considered booster training with her? If you think she would be OK with a booster, I really like the Monterey.

If you want to stick with a harnessed seat, I'd go with the Frontier or the Graco Nautilus as they both convert to boosters.

mom2binsd
09-28-2009, 10:47 PM
If you want to try a booster there is also the new Britax Parkway SG, it has a clip that prevents submarining (sp?). At her age and size she is certainly in the booster range, but the Frontier is another good option. I don't have a Nautilus so no personal experience.

hellbennt
09-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Safeguard Go?
there's been talk of this recently...

californiamom
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you, ladies. You are awesome!

I think I will check the Frontier then. Maybe I can find a good sale. :)

Now for a 2 yo (about 30 pounds and very tall, too), would you think the Boulevard, or the Marathon would be better? Or can I just go with the Frontier as well?

Cheers!

KrisM
09-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you, ladies. You are awesome!

I think I will check the Frontier then. Maybe I can find a good sale. :)

Now for a 2 yo (about 30 pounds and very tall, too), would you think the Boulevard, or the Marathon would be better? Or can I just go with the Frontier as well?

Cheers!

I'd keep the 2 yo rear-facing, so I'd skip the Frontier.

The Marathon will last slightly longer than a Boulevard. But, my kids all liked the head wings of the BV. My 5 year old is about average height and outgrew his BV already.

californiamom
09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Kris!!!!!

Good to "see" you here! It's been a looooooooooong time away from the board for me... But I will try to come back here more often now.

How have you been?

Cheers!

californiamom
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd keep the 2 yo rear-facing, so I'd skip the Frontier.

The Marathon will last slightly longer than a Boulevard. But, my kids all liked the head wings of the BV. My 5 year old is about average height and outgrew his BV already.

How about the Regent, then? Would that be a good option that will last longer?

I have always looked at more economical solutions, but this time I do want to do the right thing so I am not looking at the price tag at all. I will just deal with it! :)

Thank you all!

schums
09-29-2009, 01:35 PM
The Regent is FF only, so if your DS is RF, it won't work. Plus, I think it's been discontinued, so you might want to look at a Frontier for him (again only FF).

arivecchi
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Cheers! I have a Frontier for my almost 3 year old and am getting him a Radian XT SL so he can rear face again. You can get them for $229 at babycatalog.com.

Joolsplus2
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I like the Frontier a little better than the Regent becomes it becomes an *excellent* booster. No, it won't harness all that long compared to a Regent, but it fits most kids to 7 or 8 in the harness, then for a long time as a booster.

jjordan
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
How about the Regent, then? Would that be a good option that will last longer?

I have always looked at more economical solutions, but this time I do want to do the right thing so I am not looking at the price tag at all. I will just deal with it! :)

Thank you all!

The Regent is forward-facing only.

I'd actually go with a Radian for the 2 year old because it will rearface longer (and last longer forward-facing) than any other convertible.

Only caveat is that Radians can be tricky in some cars - either tricky to fit (they take up a lot of front-back space) or tricky to install (if you are doing a seatbelt install with a seatbelt that has a long buckle stalk).

californiamom
09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Only caveat is that Radians can be tricky in some cars - either tricky to fit (they take up a lot of front-back space) or tricky to install (if you are doing a seatbelt install with a seatbelt that has a long buckle stalk).

I drive a Chrysler T&C minivan... Have you heard of any install issues with this car by any chance?

Thanks so much! :)

HIU8
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Is that the radian that will RF to 45 lbs?

arivecchi
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
The Radian 80 SL and the Radian XT SL will rear face to 45 pounds.