PDA

View Full Version : Multiples q for a friend- update in #7

SnuggleBuggles
09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
My friend's sister just had twins and is experiencing major PPD. I was wondering if there are more hormones involved in a twin pg that would have made her more vulnerable to this?

Beth

Melaine
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I've heard that twin pregnancies can have double symptoms, so I wouldn't doubt it as a possibility. I will say that I think the extra stress and sleep deprivation involved with caring for two newborns (often times preemies as well) makes PPD or PPanxiety much more likely. Personally, I do not know any Mothers of Multiples who have NOT had any symptoms of anxiety and/or depression.

BeachBum
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I've heard that twin pregnancies can have double symptoms, so I wouldn't doubt it as a possibility. I will say that I think the extra stress and sleep deprivation involved with caring for two newborns (often times preemies as well) makes PPD or PPanxiety much more likely. Personally, I do not know any Mothers of Multiples who have NOT had any symptoms of anxiety and/or depression.

I agree.

Plus, newborn twins in general are so, so hard. I don't think I had PPD--but I had people checking on me regularly because it was on the verge of a breakdown for months.

Hugs to your friend!

mom2beofboy/girltwins
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Same here. The first couple months I felt like I was always on the verge or crying about everything - mainly the HUGE, HUGE change to our lives. DH was so worried. I even unintentionally started melting down in the drs office at my 6 week checkup when he asked how things were going and he reassured me it was going to be alright and that what I was feeling and going through was normal and would get better (and it has!) but he did tell me that he wanted me to come to him if it seemed like it was getting worse so that he could make sure I got any treatment I needed.

Having a very involved and helpful DH, as well as a couple good friends that kept being reassuring helped alot. Make sure someone gives her a break once and a while, even of it's just for an hour or two, to let her get out of the house and do something normal - go to a store or lunch with a friend. I think rejoining society once and a while made a big difference for me.

gatorsmom
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM
ITA with everything said so far. The first few months are so overwhelming and difficult. The sleep deprivation is one thing but so many twins are very lethargic when born. This makes it hard to feed them, get their weight up, get better at bfing, etc. There is always a baby crying and there is double the amount of laundry..... Not to mention the extra stress of having one or 2 babies in the NICU which isn't uncommon at all. I don't even think it would take double the hormones to push a multiples' mom to ppd.

Best wishes to your friend's sister. Offer to take a meal over or hold a baby for her. She will be very grateful.

twowhat?
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
First 2 months are definitely hard. We had a LOT of help, and I still would break down crying for what seemed like no reason. Do make sure she gets help though if it is not getting better, or if she becomes disinterested in taking care of the babies, or any other sign of PPD.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2009, 03:54 PM
The poor mom is doing worse, much worse. She is on meds, she is in therapy, they have full time help. But, last Thursday everyone was out for the afternoon and while they were gone she moved every piece of baby gear and furniture onto the front porch. She says things like she doesn't see the babies in her future. She questions why she had them; life was so good before. She has even composed a suicide note in her head (she told people she had done that but says she'd never follow through because she needs to be there for her older kids). When she does hold them she sometimes has panic attacks.

The family is beside themselves. Everyone is working extra hard to make sure she is never alone with the babies. They are on edge all the time with worry.

One Dr. said she should be admitted for intensive care. I think the babies should go to daycare b/c it is getting so hard for everyone to have dropped their lives for 4m to help. So, please send P&PT her way. If you know of someone who has reached this point, I'd be interested to hear how/ when things improved.

Beth

Melaine
11-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh Beth that is so sad and scary. Saying prayers for your friend. I don't know what to say about that situation....

egoldber
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I am very sorry. I think your firend really needs to be hospitalized. This is far beyond normal PPD. Good luck to your friend and her family.

gatorsmom
11-23-2009, 11:15 PM
The poor mom is doing worse, much worse. She is on meds, she is in therapy, they have full time help. But, last Thursday everyone was out for the afternoon and while they were gone she moved every piece of baby gear and furniture onto the front porch. She says things like she doesn't see the babies in her future. She questions why she had them; life was so good before. She has even composed a suicide note in her head (she told people she had done that but says she'd never follow through because she needs to be there for her older kids). When she does hold them she sometimes has panic attacks.

The family is beside themselves. Everyone is working extra hard to make sure she is never alone with the babies. They are on edge all the time with worry.

One Dr. said she should be admitted for intensive care. I think the babies should go to daycare b/c it is getting so hard for everyone to have dropped their lives for 4m to help. So, please send P&PT her way. If you know of someone who has reached this point, I'd be interested to hear how/ when things improved.

Beth

Oh Beth, I just saw this. I agree with the doctor, she should be admitted for post-partum psychosis. This sounds dangerous for HER and her babies.

I"m sending prayers of peace her way. Please let us know how she is doing. I"m going to be worried about her and those babies.

TwinFoxes
11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
I just read this too, I've been kind of out of pocket. I hope she gets the help she needs. I don't think this is just PPD. There is a diagnosis called "post partum psychosis." Obviously I'm no psychiatrist but this seems more likely. I hope her family realizes this isn't just something that will blow over if they help her through a few rough weeks. I think hospitalization is a good idea. I am sending P&PT her way. Update us if you can.