PDA

View Full Version : HUGS on the Marathon?

*newmomma*
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know if it would compromise the safety of the car seat if you remove the HUGS? I think that is what the long grey pieces are called...right? Just seems like they are in the way and uncomfortable for our boys.
Thanks!

Joolsplus2
09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
They reduce head excursion, which prevents head injury risk, and they prevent the straps from digging in and burning the chest and shoulders in a crash. They are absolutely 100% mandatory for when the seat is forward facing, but completely optional for rearfacing. If your kiddos are under 35 pounds and head below the top of the seat and still rearfacing, then you can take them off and tuck them in the pocket on the back of the cover where the top tether was.

:)

neeleymartin
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
They reduce head excursion, which prevents head injury risk, and they prevent the straps from digging in and burning the chest and shoulders in a crash. They are absolutely 100% mandatory for when the seat is forward facing, but completely optional for rearfacing. If your kiddos are under 35 pounds and head below the top of the seat and still rearfacing, then you can take them off and tuck them in the pocket on the back of the cover where the top tether was.

how come the roundabout doesn't have these? tia

Joolsplus2
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
My best guess is the different weight limits. I think they need the HUGS to pass with the much heavier dummies ('pass' meaning keeping the head excursion lower, within acceptable NHTSA testing limits).

*newmomma*
09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Thank you! Our twins are both about 20 lbs and will be rear facing for a while.

alirebco
09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I took them off and stashed them in the pocket since we're rearfacing and I couldn't get it tight enough with them on. I'll put them back on when we forward face - which will be a while!