PDA

View Full Version : 1st Birthday Party - need ideas

L'sMommy
09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
We have a winter baby and don't want to have DS's first party at the house. I have the date and theme but am looking for ideas of where to have it. someone suggested the Children's Museum or Gymboree, but am looking for other ideas. Both of these places give you the room for just an hour and that doesn't seem like it is enough time without feeling rushed. What are the cons of having it outside of your house? Did you do a big 1st party or was it small?

we have done many parties at our house but never kids parties so I don't even know where to start ... adult parties are so much easier!

truly scrumptious
09-28-2009, 04:35 PM
We just had DS's first party at our house - and it turned out so wonderful! There were 7 babies total, plus parents. Everyone just sat on the floor in our family room (which is baby friendly) and the babies crawled around or sat around playing with all his toys - and it was so relaxed and perfect. We had it at 11 in the morning so we just had snacks for everyone. And we were already set up for everyone's needs - changing table, etc. The babies (including DS) also had a great time playing with the wrapping on his presents!

I have another friend who went to a first birthday party set up at someone's house like a picnic, where they set up a mat on the floor with food for the babies and they picnicked. Sounds like fun.

It was a very short party - 1 and a half - 2 hours at most, but that was plenty for the babies. It worked out great, and I am so glad we did it that way.

Just saying so that you know that having it at home need not be complicated or too much work. And there is none of the hassle of having a deadline and having to cart stuff to and from the location...

Whatever you decide, I hope you and DS have lots of fun and make great memories!

SnuggleBuggles
09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
We have 2 boys and did their parties totally differently.

For ds1 it was at my MIL's (we lived out of state but friends and family lived near MIL). We had maybe 50 guests. Ds was overwhelmed.

Ds2 we did it at my house and kept it to less than 20 (only family). He probably would have done great with a large party. :) But I really liked the small party. He was the true star of the show. We did all the fun stuff and it was just relaxed and easy.

I don't advise a park or other outside venue (not that you would in the winter). We just went to a 1st b-day party at a park and the b-day girl made a mess of herself with her cake (as she should!) but there was no where to clean her off. Not ideal.

I really lean towards having it at home. The child will be more comfortable in their own surroundings and everything they might need will be on hand. It really can be simple- order some pizza, bake a cake, sit back and enjoy. :)

Beth

misshollygolightly
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Ours was at home and it worked really well--wasn't even that much trouble. I guess your venue choices will be limited by how many guests you're expecting, whether you're planning to have lots of kids, etc. Really, if most of the children in attendance will be about a year old themselves (give or take), you might want to just do it at home. One year olds won't really appreciate or notice a schmancy venue like a children's museum or zoo or whatever.

truly scrumptious
09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
The child will be more comfortable in their own surroundings and everything they might need will be on hand.

:yeahthat: I think this was in a large part why DS was so comfortable with a such a large group of relative strangers at his birthday party. And the fact that although many of the adults were strangers, he knew the babies (classmates from daycare.)

L'sMommy
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. After thinking about it and reading your feedback I have decided to do it at home with family and close friends. So, I think it will be 13 - 15 adults and 7 kids (DS will be youngest at 1 and the oldest will be 4.5). I like the idea of having everything at home (change of clothes, changing area, etc) and that it will be a comfortable environment for DS. Plus, I really want him to enjoy his piece of b'day cake (having a sweet tooth myself :)) and make a complete mess on the high chair if he wants!

tmphilo
09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
We had DD's 1st birthday party at home. Since it was raining that day, I got some of the ball pit balls from Toys R' Us and put it in her plastic pool inside. All of the kids enjoyed the ball pit and it kept them somewhat occupied while the adults were visiting and eating. We had a mix of family and friends, probably about 20 people with 5 kids 14 months and under.

arivecchi
09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. After thinking about it and reading your feedback I have decided to do it at home with family and close friends. So, I think it will be 13 - 15 adults and 7 kids (DS will be youngest at 1 and the oldest will be 4.5). I like the idea of having everything at home (change of clothes, changing area, etc) and that it will be a comfortable environment for DS. Plus, I really want him to enjoy his piece of b'day cake (having a sweet tooth myself :)) and make a complete mess on the high chair if he wants! I was about to post that you should really consider doing it at home. 1 year olds get overwhelmed easily and your DC will already be overwhelmed with all the visitors. Having it at home will make it easier on your DC and on you (easier cake clean-up, no hauling of gifts, place to nap if DC gets cranky). Good luck!

truly scrumptious
09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. After thinking about it and reading your feedback I have decided to do it at home with family and close friends. So, I think it will be 13 - 15 adults and 7 kids (DS will be youngest at 1 and the oldest will be 4.5). I like the idea of having everything at home (change of clothes, changing area, etc) and that it will be a comfortable environment for DS. Plus, I really want him to enjoy his piece of b'day cake (having a sweet tooth myself :)) and make a complete mess on the high chair if he wants!

Additional advantage for us: DS got a little overwhelmed toward the end of his party (plus it was getting close to nap time) so he said goodbye to everyone and headed to his room for a nap (without waiting for every lasst guest to leave.) The other parents were very understanding, and it let them know that their babies could keep playing as long as they wanted without any pressure to wrap things up.

I'm sure it'll be great! I hope you both have a wonderful time.