PDA

View Full Version : Funky Weird Stuff --> Early Edition

Fairy
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm early for the Halloween Edition Funky Weird Stuff polls, but I'm home and in a pissy mood, and funky weird stuff makes me feel better. Here's an early edition poll that seems timely enough.

Vampire lately? They seem to be everywhere. Like I can no longer tell them apart. Whatcha watchin'? Choose all that apply. What did i forget?

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I voted for being human. I don't dislike the whole vampire genre, but I have seen bits and pieces of Buffy, and Angel and would really be interested to start watching those on a regular basis since I do have the hots for and can't seem to get enough of David Boreanaz (I:heartbeat: Bones), but I don't really have much time to start liking a whole other genre of tv, books, etc. Make sense!

elliput
09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Buffy Rules. Campy as all get out, but Joss handled the material beautifully.

Dark Shadows is what every other vampire series has to look up to. I even liked the very short-lived '91 remake.

misshollygolightly
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Buffy. No others can compare. (Btw, did all y'all other Whedon fans manage to catch "Epitaph One" on the DVD set of Dollhouse Season 1? TOTALLY restored my faith. Joss Whedon is beyond brilliant.)

Melaine
09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I cast THREE votes which definitely makes me wonder about myself.....and I make fun of DH with his "graphic novels". Voted for TrueBlood, Twilight and Buffy.
BUT I've never actually seen TrueBlood, I was thinking of the books and with Twilight I was also thinking of the books which I liked better than the movie.

So I guess it comes down to Buffy.

fivi2
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Buffy Rules. period.

I tried the first episode of that horrendous pile of garbage called the Vampire Diaries on CW (never read the books). Blech.
I have read most of the Sookie books and they are cute. I liked Season 1 of TrueBlood, but was REALLY disappointed in Season 2. We have watched a few episodes of Being Human, but ran out of steam... I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. Read the first Twilight book. Didn't read the rest or see the movie. Do not understand the draw. Embarrassed to admit that I have never watched Dark Shadows, but it is in my brain that I should, if that counts :)

I can't remember what else is on the list, and I only voted once, not realizing I could respond to more than one.

You left out Moonlight from last year (year before?). Meh. I didn't dig the male lead.

I'll be back to add more later...

OH - where is Anne Rice? Interview witha Vampire? Queen of the Damned?

etc - tried to fix painful spacing of my response

fivi2
09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Buffy. No others can compare. (Btw, did all y'all other Whedon fans manage to catch "Epitaph One" on the DVD set of Dollhouse Season 1? TOTALLY restored my faith. Joss Whedon is beyond brilliant.)

See now, I didn't like Epitaph One at all. We rented it to watch that epi and I was disappointed. Shrug. I do like Dollhouse though. I thought this season's opener was pretty good.

BabyMine
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Dark Shadows, the one from 1991, is my all time favorite.

Fairy
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
This is only for this season, not the past. Which is like "wha?" considering I included Dark Shadows and Buffy, but those are there to exemplify one's feeling that the rest of the crap out there is crap compared to those since they set the bar on Vampires on screen. Should one feel that way :-) And yes, I know the Rice book was a movie and that it all leaves out Bela, et. al. Sorry, I can only get so much in there!

misshollygolightly
09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
See now, I didn't like Epitaph One at all. We rented it to watch that epi and I was disappointed. Shrug. I do like Dollhouse though. I thought this season's opener was pretty good.

Interesting! DH and I weren't totally blown away by Season 1 of Dollhouse, but we loved Epitaph 1 and liked this seasoner's opener pretty well. I suspect there's also a part of me that is just afraid to commit too deeply to Dollhouse, since we've been burned before (by Fox's mishandling of Firefly). Anywhoo, sorry Fairy, for going all off-topic here! I just get super-excited when anything Joss Whedon-related comes up! :love5:

gatorsmom
09-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I have been absolutely sucked in by Trueblood. This surprises me, too, because I've never really been all that interested in Vampire stories. But this one is pure escapism and I'm loving it. I loved last season so much that I read ALL nine of the Sookie Stackhouse books within a few months after the end of the first season (the TV show is loosely based on the books). And I preordered the 10th book which I"ve never done before.

Another reason I"m shocked my interest in this is because it's FULL of weird sex, violence, blood, gore, etc. And I liked but wasn't a huge fan of "Six Feet Under" (another Alan Ball production).

I also liked Interview with a Vampire but mainly that was because I was at it's Paris Premier where I met Tom Cruise. :boogie:

fivi2
09-29-2009, 09:27 AM
This is only for this season, not the past. Which is like "wha?" considering I included Dark Shadows and Buffy, but those are there to exemplify one's feeling that the rest of the crap out there is crap compared to those since they set the bar on Vampires on screen. Should one feel that way :-) And yes, I know the Rice book was a movie and that it all leaves out Bela, et. al. Sorry, I can only get so much in there!

Aha! Sorry, I didn't understand the criteria :D

Not that I watch a lot of vampire crap or anything... :wink2:

egoldber
09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Buffy Rules. period.

:yeahthat:

What is Epitaph One? I like Dollhouse very much.

fivi2
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Due to some sort of contract issue with Fox last season, Joss and Co produced an episode of Dollhouse that never aired last season (episode 14? I can't really remember all the details).

Anyway, it is on the last disc of the season 1 dvd set and is titled Epitaph One. Someone over on mdc mentioned it (and also enjoyed it, so it appears I am alone it not liking it). It isn't necessary to watch for continuity, just for fun. I think the unaired pilot is also on the dvd, but we skipped that. you can rent from netflix - I think it is disc 4.

misshollygolightly
09-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Epitaph One is an episode of Dollhouse which was written/recorded when it looked as though Dollhouse wouldn't be renewed for another season. Basically, it is set in the future (2019, I think), and shows what happens at the end of the story...sort of postapocalyptic. Anyway, Fox didn't air it, but did include it in the box set of Season 1 (you can either buy the box set or go rent the disc from Netflix or Blockbuster or wherever). Then, surprisingly, Dollhouse *did* get renewed for another season, which left Whedon in a really interesting place in terms of how to continue the story where it left off in Season 1, so that it is all headed toward the ending designed in Epitaph One. Despite how it may sound, having seen all of Season 1, Epitaph One, and the opener for Season 2, I think Epitaph One isn't really a spoiler so much as reassurance that Joss has really intriguing plans and a larger story arch in mind for Dollhouse. (Geez, do I sound obsessed here??)

fivi2
09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Epitaph One is an episode of Dollhouse which was written/recorded when it looked as though Dollhouse wouldn't be renewed for another season. Basically, it is set in the future (2019, I think), and shows what happens at the end of the story...sort of postapocalyptic. Anyway, Fox didn't air it, but did include it in the box set of Season 1 (you can either buy the box set or go rent the disc from Netflix or Blockbuster or wherever). Then, surprisingly, Dollhouse *did* get renewed for another season, which left Whedon in a really interesting place in terms of how to continue the story where it left off in Season 1, so that it is all headed toward the ending designed in Epitaph One. Despite how it may sound, having seen all of Season 1, Epitaph One, and the opener for Season 2, I think Epitaph One isn't really a spoiler so much as reassurance that Joss has really intriguing plans and a larger story arch in mind for Dollhouse. (Geez, do I sound obsessed here??)

lol - you put much more though into than I did! I was choosing to view Epitaph One as a *possible* future, not something set in stone. So I figured they'd be working out ways to avoid it somehow ...

BUT - I haven't read any spoilers or articles other than the thread at mdc, so I am sure you are much more knowledgable than I am!

shawnandangel
09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Buffy!!!

But my favorite Vamp movie is "Interview With a Vampire"

Brad Pitt is sooooooooooooooooooooooo hot in this movie. Yum.