PDA

View Full Version : EEK...Room Parent

niccig
09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
DS's new school sent home paperwork over the Summer, and one sheet was where you could volunteer for certain positions. After talking about it with DH and a post here, I decided to put my name down for a couple of jobs including room parent. Well, I got it - I'm to be a co-room parent with another mum - I've already met her, had coffee after drop off one day, and we're tying to get our boys together for a playdate. So that's the good part - I'll be working with someone I want to get to know better. But what does a room parent do. I know it will depend on the teacher, so I'm just asking for a general idea.

thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
This is what I expect my room parents to do (I am organizing them this year):
Organize a resource of classroom volunteers to assist with daily classroom activities, special projects, outdoor excursions, etc. as directed by individual teacher needs
Help plan classroom parties and field trips
Stay informed of upcoming events by checking email, message boards, the school website and other school communication.
Check in with the classroom teacher on a weekly basis.
Attend a Room Parent meeting with the Parent Involvement Committee 2-4 times/ year.
Be accessible via email for communication with other room parents and your class.

Beth

Corie
09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I also submitted my name for the Room Parent. We haven't heard
yet.