PDA

View Full Version : Sally Foster products?

Laurel
09-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Ugh, it's school fundraiser time. I need to order 2-3 items from Sally Foster. Any experience/recommendations? Thanks.

g-mama
09-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Their wrapping paper is super nice. Very thick and sturdy, not like the kind that rips when you're trying to cut it. It seems to last forever. Totally worth it. Our school sells it, too, and I don't mind that it costs a bit more because I really like it.

candaceb
09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I like their sets of curling ribbon, and the sets that have wrap, ribbon and tags. The wrapping stuff is all high quality and it's one fundraiser I will buy without being under duress.

kijip
09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
It is not usually a lucrative endeavor for the school or charity. Once you factor in the cost of time and organization, the % received does not go very far. Honestly, when kids ask me to buy Sally Foster I usually just make a small cash donation to their school through them instead. Our school stopped their Sally Foster after last year, something that makes me want to turn cartwheels. The stuff can be nice, but honestly it's a LOT of work for a not all that huge return when all is said and done.

swrc00
09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I love Sally Foster!!! The wrapping paper is great. I usually order a value set that comes with paper, tissue paper, tags, and then cellophane treat bags. Sadly my school is selling Charleston Wrap this year so I can't recommend anything specifically.

egoldber
09-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Our school used to do it and they stopped this year. I was soooo happy. Being a major miser and gift bag re-user, it was just not something I felt good about.

I did buy a set of multi-purpose cards a couple years ago and I liked having them around.

Laurel
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
It is not usually a lucrative endeavor for the school or charity. Once you factor in the cost of time and organization, the % received does not go very far. Honestly, when kids ask me to buy Sally Foster I usually just make a small cash donation to their school through them instead. Our school stopped their Sally Foster after last year, something that makes me want to turn cartwheels. The stuff can be nice, but honestly it's a LOT of work for a not all that huge return when all is said and done.

Thus, my "ugh" above. Unfortunately, this is for DD's class and I don't want her to be the only kid with no orders tomorrow. I refused to ask any friends/family to order, so it's on me. I much prefer to write a check directly to the school and hope our school wises up to the whole fundraiser-sales thing next year.

Sounds like the paper is nice, though, so I guess I'll order a few rolls of that.

AnnieW625
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Thus, my "ugh" above. Unfortunately, this is for DD's class and I don't want her to be the only kid with no orders tomorrow. I refused to ask any friends/family to order, so it's on me. I much prefer to write a check directly to the school and hope our school wises up to the whole fundraiser-sales thing next year.

Sounds like the paper is nice, though, so I guess I'll order a few rolls of that.

With the way public school funding is these days in California I highly doubt any school in any district will be able to get away without fundraisers. I don't particularly care for fund raisers, but have found a few items I like like wrapping paper (I think I've gotten Sally Foster before, and also Innisbrook) and some chocolates called Helen Grace, which are made locally in Long Beach and give a good profit to the school and other local organizations. How much fundraising that is expected to be done will be one of my top questions at the district school fair the next two years.

Laurel
09-28-2009, 11:17 PM
With the way public school funding is these days in California I highly doubt any school in any district will be able to get away without fundraisers. I don't particularly care for fund raisers, but have found a few items I like like wrapping paper (I think I've gotten Sally Foster before, and also Innisbrook) and some chocolates called Helen Grace, which are made locally in Long Beach and give a good profit to the school and other local organizations. How much fundraising that is expected to be done will be one of my top questions at the district school fair the next two years.

You're so right, I just wish I could write a check directly to the school at the beginning of the year (or even quarterly/monthly) and be done with it. I hate that all these companies profit from underfunded schools when I am perfectly willing to support them without getting wrapping paper or cookie dough or scholastic books in return.

WatchingThemGrow
09-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I recycled my Sally Foster envelope and we'll make a cash donation later. The grandparents said they'd rather donate cash since up to only 50% of the PROFITS go to the school. So, you spend $8 and maybe $2 goes to the school. DH says he doesn't want to promote consumerism. Does he KNOW what I do all day, LOL???

kijip
09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
You're so right, I just wish I could write a check directly to the school at the beginning of the year (or even quarterly/monthly) and be done with it. I hate that all these companies profit from underfunded schools when I am perfectly willing to support them without getting wrapping paper or cookie dough or scholastic books in return.

Our school does an annual appeal. People can opt to pay 1 check or have a monthly pledge taken from their credit/debit cards. Parents love it and participation % is as high as events/sales based participation. No dinner auction to plan and pay for, so it is a bigger money maker than a dinner auction with a lot of expenses coming off the profits. The most effective fundraising does not have to include merchandise or ticket sales.

Also they do a used book sale rather than the Scholastic Book Fair, which I think is AWESOME.

Most of the events the PTA hosts are free social/educational fun events and not fundraiser. Another reason I love this school so far. Math Night and Pumpkin Carving Night, here I come :D

The Sally Foster was dropped based on the feedback given to the PTA so I suggest parents let the PTA know they would be willing to just give instead.

egoldber
09-29-2009, 07:51 AM
I agree the school gets very little of the proceeds from Sally Foster. A direct cash donation to your school will go a LOT farther than buying 4 rolls of wrapping paper. That's why our school decided that SF was not worth the effort and instead has decided on focus on fundraising efforts that are lower cost and overhead to run and with a higher cash return.